Licence to kill?

A guy was stabbed during an arguement with his 19 yr old girlfriend, and was allowed to bleed to death in front of her 25 yr old sister, who refused to call for an ambulance. They were charged with manslaughter - the 19 yr old got 5 years in a young offenders institute, the 25 yr old got 4 years in prison. :roll:

The point is, murderers are now getting away with less than ten years in prison - so hardly a disincentive anymore

They were not charged with Murder, and without knowing all the facts it is hard to comment. We need to know why they were charged with Manslaughter as opposed to murder.

Kije, can I ask; if someone is walking down the street and for no reason, another bloke comes up and headbutts him; resulting in him falling to the ground, banging his head and dying of that blow to the head caused by the kerb or whatever...... would you class that as manslaughter or murder?

If it what you said was fact and their was no reason for the headbut its murder.

Unfortunately not, by clever jiggery pokery, the defence lawyer would argue it was manslaughter as the victim died from a blow to the head caused by impact with the kerb, not the headbutt.

This was based on a case a good few years ago now in Warrington, where a lad was walking home after dropping his girlfriend home. He happened to walk past a group of youths who were just standing around near a chippy. one of the youths thought it would be a good idea to hit the young man. Following the blow, the lad hit his head on a low wall; the blow from which killed him.

The lad who hit him got a few years for manslaughter..... the wonders of the British justice system that could jail someone for what you yourself have said would be murder, for the lesser crime of manslaughter.

The lad was the victim of an unprovoked attack and paid the price for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The defense lawyer was doing his job, Perhaps if the prosecution lawyer would have been up to the task then their might have been a different result. That is one of the problems with having an adversarial system it comes down to the skill of the lawyer. That is why the system comes out with travesties of justice.

But I'm sure you all know that the diffrence between Murder and Manslaughter is the intent of the outcome to your actions.

so the two previous cases are entirely different if you ask me.

The first example I would argue IS murder, in the fact that they knew their later action of 'inaction' would likely lead to a death.

I'm assuming that the second one the effects of the injury would have caused death despite any intervention from the perpetrator had they have remorsefully tried (not suggesting that they did). So therefore Manslaughter as it is unlikely the person throwing the punch actualy intended or was prepared to allow the victim to die.

I'm assuming that the second one the effects of the injury would have caused death despite any intervention from the perpetrator had they have remorsefully tried (not suggesting that they did). So therefore Manslaughter as it is unlikely the person throwing the punch actually intended or was prepared to allow the victim to die.

I would agree with that summing up :P:wink: