Lord Prezzer!

observer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't quite agree with you Peter

There will always be rich and poor. But telling me I should respect someone as my better because he happened to have an ancestor who fought for William the Conqueror is plain wrong :!:

Why?

Why should a hereditary title grant someone power over other people, especially when they themselves have done nothing to deserve it. Most of hereditary line goes back to William the Conquerer, Who gave land and title to people who fought for him. I am all for a republic. :!:

Down with these Norman invaders :wink:

Don't quite agree with you Peter

There will always be rich and poor. But telling me I should respect someone as my better because he happened to have an ancestor who fought for William the Conqueror is plain wrong :!:

I agree about respecting a person irrespective of class.(They have to earn it imo}, but respecting a position (ie job) is different.

I spent most of my life taking orders from people who knew squat, but you have to find a way past them.

I'm reminded of the chap who went fly fishing on private land: along came the Lord of the Manor and asked him why he was fishing from his river as he owned it. So the fisherman asked him, how he got the land. From my father of course came the reply. And where did he get it from? From his father - right back to the first Duke, who was given it by King William I. And how did Billy the Conk get it. Well he fought for it in 1066. OK, said the fisherman, get yer coat off! :lol:

I am all for a republic.

Then why not go and live in the Congo or in France?

The vast majority of the population here want to keep the Monarchy, so stop trying to inflict your nonsense here and bugger off somewhere where they already have thet "power to the people" crap in place.....

It is just possible that Lt Kije DID have an ancestor fighting for William the Conqueror. But if he was a foot soldier it would not count for much!

But are we not getting bogged down with a rather out-dated concept of class? True, there are still a few survivors of the old aristocracy around, but their numbers have declined to such an extent that they don't count any more. Most of them have little money and those that do have had to open their once stately homes to the public to keep them going.

Today's class system is based more on education, occupation and, quite frankly, the way you conduct yourself. It has nothing to do with money and, increasingly, little to do with where you live. Plenty of footballers live in giant houses at Alderley Edge but they will never be "upper" class. Other people living in Bewsey are of the best possible class.

Why anyone should get worked up about it like Kije does amazes me.

If he doesn't like his position in the class structure, why doesn't he take steps to move "up" or "down" whichever suits him? Calling for a republic won't solve his problem. Surely, the solution lies in his own hands, not the government's?

I've no probs with Queenie, ( much preferable to an "elected" dead head), just most of the entourage can go, and we could do with a downsized monarchy like the Scandanavians. No need for "titles", Mr/Mrs or Ms will do it. No need for the private ownership of land; unless the owners want to do all the fighting in "defending" "our" country - sort of call up, on the basis of how many acres you own - all land could be State owned and leased. No need for a 600 plus anachronistic House of Lords at ?300 per day, 100 elected in proportion to the National vote should cover that. Anyone still desiring to wear the ermine etc, could be given a job at our various historical sites as a tourist guide - sorted! :wink:

Private ownership of land has served us pretty well so far. One of the reasons we have a "green and pleasant" land. Just imagine if the State had to pay for it all to be maintained - they can't cope with what they have to pay for now!

In the scenario you paint, Observer, I reckon we wouldn't have many historical sites left.

Private ownership of land has served us pretty well so far. One of the reasons we have a "green and pleasant" land. Just imagine if the State had to pay for it all to be maintained - they can't cope with what they have to pay for now!

In the scenario you paint, Observer, I reckon we wouldn't have many historical sites left.

Quite right Horace.... just look at the mess WBC have made of the historical and heritage sites in our small town.... now imagine that at government level and across the whole country!

Why should the lottery of birth dictate that you get a seat in the House of Lords :?:

Baz as to your crass comments you want a state where there the are kangaroo courts and your hang em high sentences why don't you move to a third world African state where your stile of justice pervades. I don't think you will last long :wink:

Yes I am a republican, I happen to think the Queen and her entourage are a burden on the State and quite frankly out of date.

......if you think you wouldn't be burdened with an equal if not more of an entourage for a President; then you are seriously mistaken Kije.

The Queen and her entourage attract millions in tourism. People don't just come to England to look at Buckingham Palace, they come to look at Buckingham palace because the Queen lives there and they come to see the changing of the guard etc.. which are all ceremonies which are in place because of the Queen.

Why do you think Australia keep voting against a republic? because they see France and the likes and don't fancy that in their country.

You of course are different Kije, because you are a Lib Dem surrender monkey who would be best placed to go somewhere else because your opinions are totally at odds with a proper and proud Englishman.

You are a disgrace to your country and should hang your head. How you can possibly bleat on about supporting the troops and then with the next breath offer to give all what their forebears fought for in two wars is beyond belief

and as for "kangaroo courts " and "hang'em high sentences", look where your toga wearing ideals have gotten us.... we abolished the death penalty in this country many years ago. It was the wrong decision but unfortunately, most MP's are too frightened to do what the majority want and bring it back.

Baz, Would they come to Buckingham Palace if the Queen wasn't there I think they would.

In Australia the last referendum was in 1989 45.5% voted for a republic, I doubt they would get the same result now. The present Pm of Australia is a republican

I am not going no lower myself to answering your a disgrace to the Country jibe. :roll:

Supporting our troops in Afghanistan is not a bleat, I have often posted on hear about my support for the troops in Afghanistan.:!:

You sound like one of those people who go abroad then moan when you can't get an english breakfast with HP sauce, Jesus sandals with socks no doubt.:!:

I will end on this, I find some of your views a disgrace to a modern democracy, perhaps you should think of moving to South America where your stile of junta government still holds sway:wink: :lol:

You find some of my views unpallatable Kije because they conflict with your rose tinted view on life

I like to travel abroad, I don't wear sandals and certainly don't wear flip-flops; Rather when I do go away (and mainly to Europe) I like to enjoy the culture and quality of life as I find it. (I also hate sauce so wrong again!) What I like to do is visit Europe and enjoy it as a destination..... I do not like to be part of it and certainly not with it running my life and my country

Unfortunately occupied Europe was full of people like you in WW2.......... only after the war were the collaborators put up against a wall and shot.

The French don't have a King, but it doesn't stop the tourists visiting Versaille! :? Horace: lots of folk own houses, but don't own the land on which they are built - they are leaseholders, and pay a paltry rent to some obscure individual or company - so instead of an obscure owner, we just substitute HMG - simple. Land ownership is probably one of the most complex and difficult areas of law, providing fuel for dispute, HMG takes over all land ownership - complexity ceases. HMG own, via the National Trust and English Heritage, quite large portions of our land, preserving our historical heritage and making such land accessible to the peasants, who are frequently called upon to fight for it in foreign wars. The seizure of "common land" from the Plebs by the aristocracy, was one of the reasons for the English Civil War! :wink:

Observer, I thought for one horrible moment you were about to defend the leasehold system.

I would hever buy a house if it was not freehold. I don't like the idea of obscure landlords who collect money and really do nothing in return. But if HMG became the landlord, I suspect the system would become even worse. What's more, your landlord would change every time there was a change of government.

There's nothing wrong with private ownership of land or property - unless perhaps you don't own any!

As I believe the majority of buildings are held leasehold, I doubt nationalisation of all land would present much trauma - just finally tidy up what is after all, a mess. There would no doubt be a few noses put out, like the Duke of Westminister and some foreign companies - who might lose their places on the monopoly board! :wink:

Seeing as Kije seems to opposed to titles, it seems strange he has given himself some rank

I am not opposed to titles that are earned, Just the ones people are born into :wink:

Ps

I don't normally point out peoples typo's as I am one of the worst but you forgot the Lt in my name :lol:

Obs I agree with you about the land :wink::lol: