Warrington Walking Day - what does it mean for you?

Gary

Warrington Walking Day this Friday 10am when an estimated 4,000 people will take to the streets of Warrington for the annual walk of Witness.

Warrington-worldwide will be out covering the event as usual and it always proves popular on our website in the way of viewing figures.

But does it mean as much as it did 50 years ago?

Certainly no public holiday or day off for many workers these days.

A waste of time and an inconvenience to people trying to access the town on what is after all, a working day.

Have the fair, even have the walk on a Sunday somewhere like Walton gardens or somewhere, but leave the town centre alone!

Plus it is also just an excuse to the great unwashed to go out and get leashed up on cheap lager :lol:

I think the point is that it shouldn't be a working day. the magic of my youth in the 70's was that the town shut down, both my mother and father were off work...and not because they booked holidays, but because local business embraced Warrington's culture and wanted to be a part of it.

People complain about the drunks and layabouts, well that's because the civilised working class who used to fill the town are no longer their to keep them in toe, instead none working occupational doleyes spend our taxes in the pub.

it has declined in turn out exactly because of this ignorance from international corporation businesses who even if they had their head office in Warrington probably have no knowledge of this festival.

High schools don't even walk (that I am aware of)... its only going bad, because we are letting it.

I suggest a campaign to bring it back to its former glory.

Sorry but despite living here for 15 years I am still none the wiser as to what its for or whay it happens. Perhaps the influx of people like me accounts for this?

Anyone care to fill me in as to what its all about.

Warrington's annual walk of witness when the local churches all walk together through the centre of the town.

There will be about 4,000 doing it tomorrow morning.

I suppose if you don't go to church you wouldn't get involved.

But it will be on of the most viewed articles and videos on our website tomorrow - and not just from warrington - the ex-pats around the world.

Do a site search on walking day and all will be revealed from previous years!

Means nothing to me but if others enjoy it them that's great :D:wink::lol:

Not been to Warrington Walking day since I was a kiddie... infact not even sure if I did go then cos I can't remember it :lol: I remember the fair on Viccy Park though :lol:

Warrington Walking day, like all other local walking days, is sadly only really of interest to those people who actually know someone who is walking or for those who those treat it as an excuse to have special daytime booze session :wink:

They all seem to have lost the real community type spirit and reason, the grandeur of the dress code by many and of course the true intention and meaning as to why such walks were origionally started ........ but hey what at least it's a day off for some from work or school, kids earn some easy cash and it's an excuse for a drink. :lol::?

and a bah hum bug to you! :wink:

Oh come on Gary..... it is a bloody inconvenience. I had 4 lads who couldn't get into town to get onto customer sites today until well after 12 because all the roads were blocked off with kids and brass bands.

Why don't they go and march somewhere a little less disruptive?

It may be all very nice when you are a kid getting new shoes and clothes like we all did, but in the real world of the 21st century, making a living is hard enough without all this every year

you wouldnt have to attend customers sites if they were alkl shut, as were you, and you were enjoying a pint with them in the lord rodney...securing future deals through social marketing.

think outside the box matey

Nonsense. It is an inconvenience which should be condemed to the same fate as the Burtonwood Hangers....

It is an excuse for a fraction of the population to skive off for the day and for the local chavs to get drunk in the town centre and then inflict themselves on the fair going kids at Vicky Park

Nonsense.

It is an excuse for a fraction of the population to skive off for the day and for the local chavs to get pissed up in the town centre and then inflict themselves on the fair going kids at Vicky Park

So what you are saying as your superior logic as opposed to my nonsense is that if there was no walking day then a fraction of the population would not skive off work and chavs would not get drunk in town center?

intresting.

I'm not saying there should be no walking day.... I am saying that it shouldn't close half the town down on a working day. Why not do it on a Sunday or walk round Victoria park or somewhere where it doesn't impact loads more people than are interested in it?

And as for the chavs, they take any excuse to get drunk so it wouldn't make any difference there I guess

are we allowed to use the 'p' word on here :oops::lol::wink:

It is a pain when the town centre roads are shut but it's only for a couple of hours once a year. I do however hate the 'drinkers' and 'p' heads at walking days hence the reason why I don't go.

Having seen the lovely photo's on the link on front page news though it is a lovely event and all the kids looked lovely. It is a tradidtion that should continue

...... but maybe next year Gary can video it all too so those of us who don't like the crowds of boozers and loudmouths can watch it from the comfort of our pc's :D:lol::wink:

...... but maybe next year Gary can video it all too so those of us who don't like the crowds of boozers and loudmouths can watch it from the comfort of our pc's :D:lol::wink:

Big groan from Gary = check out the warrington .tv section :roll::oops:

...and it was displayed on the front page for 24 hours!