Germany v England.

observer

Oh dear

Gary, when do Town start playing then I can read some input from posters who actually know something about football?

OK, why is "get real England" not appropriatte? There is no justification for the wall to wall optomism that engulfs England every time you scape through an easy qualifying group where you're top seeded and expected to qualify, and actually make it to the finals, where you inevitably fail as soon as you meet one of the top nations.

The optimism is created by the media, fans pay to watch the team in these competitions because that is what fans do but ask them about England's prospects and not many expected this team to win.

There may have been wall to wall hope but most people were realistic about England's chances and someone using "England get real" is totally out of touch.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of flag waving if it makes people happy and others that sneer at it would be better served by finding something else to talk about because it shows them as sad individuals or jealous individuals.

I could never claim to be a football pundit, but my analysis of the game is this.

1. And primary blame is the manager.

1a. firstly if the players were crap its the players he picked.

1b. there must have been some strategy that the players followed which seemed to be everybody play forward. as a result whenever Germany got a lucky break, there was a complete half the pitch where Germany faced no opposition apart from slower running brits trying to come back. and assemble a last minute defence.

this was highlighted by there goalie who simply lobbed the ball over ALL the English players in the german side allowing three of their players to whistlke the tune of the great escape as they made a mockery of poor old James.

1c. no teamwork. The Germans were quite happy to pass the ball around in their much lesser possession period until a clear opportunity presented itself.

1d. Give it to rooney strategy, this fat aggressive twonk did noting for the entire world cup campaign...NOTHING just waited near the box expecting someone to give him the ball and put it away. however this seemed to be a gaming strategy rather than the laziness of

Rooney.

2. The Players (although not knocking this out of them is still the blame of the manager, if he cannot get the players to do this then change them for those that will).

2a. Pre-madonas !! overpaid pretentious models who need grounding. Everyone of them was looking to be the man of the match. They took countless ridiculous shots at the goals when they were 40yards away giving any goalie opportunity to finish his sandwich and stroll over to the trajectory he calculated on with his little book of logarithms and hold his hands out waiting for the ball to land in it. Gerrad was particularly fond of this "hit and hope we catch the goalie sleeping" technique.

conclusion

Fire Capello (however it is spelled) What the hell was the idea of renewing his contract 2 months before the only point at which his ability would be proven...or disproven as the case has shown.

Fire the England management who decided this...that is not good business practice.

The only player worth his salt was James, who had no support from his 'TEAM' and despite letting 4 goals in I think there was only one where he stood a chance of making a better job of it.

as for the technology debacle.: Yes for goal line decisions as this is cut a dried, tackles etc should remain in the hands of human interpretation.

The Avewrgae English football fan spends the seeason sneering at the SPL any time it gets a mention, you can understand out jocularity when your national team sticks it's head above the parapet.

So it is just revenge then? :lol: When I was avidly watching football a good percentage of the better players were Scottish and were to be found in most English teams. Unfortunately English players are now in the same minority.

Self interest from both clubs and players is a major contribution to the continued decline of the national team.

As an aside, my holidays in the fifties included watching the three Inverness teams Caley, Clach & Thistle so I never look at Scottish football negatively. I am probably in a minority. :wink:

The last time the Jocks qualified for anything the players wore their shinguards outside their socks and referees used wooden whistles.

This maybe true, but what is worse, not qualifying or qualifying and then trying to convince the entire population that "maybe this time we can win it"??

You could have the best manager in the world, (no idea who that is) and they still wouldn' be able to find 11 players capable of winning the world cup.

The only reason that the Premiere teams do reasonably well in Europe is that most of the best players in the top 4 teams are foreigners.

Legion, I take it you weren't really impressed with our world beaters then? :lol:

After watching the match in Germany, I was asked many times by others at the screening.... "did Rooney play today? I never saw him on the ball".

Sums the whole campaign up really. Rooney was still carrying an injury (as was Ronaldo for Portugal) and never even came close to his best.

Even fiery Gerrard, the man who almost single handedly won the European cup for Liverpool seemed out of his depth.

Maybe a crop of new younger players might get a turn now and let the older ones go

Mc Claren was a bad manager so they sacked him

Sven g ericcson the same.

Capello also the same perhaps.

There may be others i have forgotten. Is it just possible that it is the fault of the players?

Happy days

McLaren - Took Boro to a cup win and a European final, then took Twente to their first ever title in Holland

Shagger - League and cup doubles in Sweden, Potugal and Italy.

Capello - 9 domestic titles in 16 seasons in Italy and Spain.

Something is wrong with your national team, and it isn;t the coach.

Any manager who feels the need to include half a dozen players that are not 100% fit, include Heskey, convince Carragher to come out of International retirement and try to convince Scholes to do the same in my opinion hasn't a clue, regardless of his past history. :roll::roll: