Dream team from the last five decades.

safeway56

Right, to pass some time away and perhaps generate renewed interest in this forum let's name our best Wire team from over the decades of players we have seen not merely those we've read or heard about. I'm at something of an advantage here due to the fact I'm an old flatulent who's first game at Wilderspool was in 1953(I'm still younger then The Beatles though)...I'm doing it straight off the top of my head...After some afterthought I may have made the wrong choices.

(1) Eric Fraser

(2) Guess who ?

(3) Jimmy Challinor(simply because he put his winger way superbly)

(4) Albert Naughton

(5) Brian Glover

(6) Alex Murphy

(7) Gerry Helme

(8) Nat Silcock

(9) Kevin Ashcroft (I could be biased, I went to school with him)

(10) Brian Brady

(11) Bob Wanbon(devastating tackler)

(12) Mark Roberts(fastest forward I ever saw)

(13) Laurie Gillfedder.

Subs:

(14) Jonathan Davies

(15) Jackie Edwards

(16) Adrian Morley

(17) Mike Gregory

NOTE: Two backs in the subs. We are talking proper traditional Rugby League here not the modern day Strong Arm Biff Bash.

Sidesteps, swerves,changes of pace, dummies. Skills which have left the game.

I've left out Andrew Johns simply because 3 games doesn't make him a Wire.

It's possible to name half a dozen different teams from over the decades but I've chosen these in just a few minutes.

1.Brian Johnson

2. Des Drummond

3. Matt King

4. Jonathan Davies

5. John Bevan

6. Ken Kelly

7. Parry Gordon

8. Les Boyd

9. Kevin Tamati

10.Adrian Morley

11.Paul Cullen

12.Bob Eccles

13.Mike Gregory

Subs

14. Andy Gregory

15. Bob Jackson

16. Mark Roberts

17. Mike Nicholas

This is based on players I have actually seen play in the primrose and blue.

I've been a season ticket holder since Langer came to us, so can't really comment on the teams that the "older (but wiser??) heads" have picked.

To be honest, I'm struggling to come up with many better players than the ones we currently have in the squad, with the exception of players like Langer, Gleeson (when he could be bothered) and maybe Nat Wood (I'm sure I've missed some out). I guess this is why we're starting to have some degree of success now whereas in all the years I've watched them we've achieved just the odd cup semi-final appearance and had a couple of games in the play-offs.

Let's hope the playing rosta continues to grow stronger year on year and we can enjoy the success that the likes of Sts and Leeds have had in recent times.

Come on Wirewire if you sit on the fence any longer you'll be getting splinters :lol:

Lets have your team...........

OK - here goes...

1 Mathers

2 Hicks

3 Bridge

4 Gleeson

5 King

6 Briers

7 Langer

8 Carvell

9 Monaghan

10 Morley

11 L Anderson

12 Westwood

13 Sculthorpe

14 Andrew Gee

15 Danny Nutley

16 Nat Wood (as replacement hooker)

17 Appo (on the form he showed during last season at Wilderspool)

Four different team selections and each full back was different and not a mention even of Steve Hesford.

Does this mean we have had an abundance of top class number ones or a shortage of one stand out class act ???

:?

Definatley a shortage. In the last 10 years I couldn't think of a decent full back to be honest, other than Mathers. I guess I could have gone for Lee Penny :oops:

Since Hodgson has signed Mathers has played the best rugby since he'e been here, and I for one would be happy for him to stay next year.

Maybe after next season, we might all agree on Hodgson.......

Four different team selections and each full back was different and not a mention even of Steve Hesford.

Does this mean we have had an abundance of top class number ones or a shortage of one stand out class act ???

:?

I was going to include Hesford but despite being a great goal kicker I couldn't leave any of my other choices out at full-back, centre or wing, which is where Shirley played most of his career.

If it hadn't been for his kicking I don't think he would have made the team.

1.Steve Hesford

2.Des Drummond

3.Johnny Davies

4.Phil Blake

5.John Bevan

6.Allan Langer

7.Alex Murphy

8.Les Boyd

9.Duanne Mann

10.Adrian Morley

11.Mark Roberts

12.Les Davidson

13.Mike Gregory (capt )

14.Mick Monaghan

15.Bob Jackson

16.Steve Roach

17.Bob Eccles

Eric Fraser was a RL international..almost as quick as Bev and could kick goals from all over the place with the cannonball they played with in those days. Hesford was OK but he's wasn't a Fraser.

31957_398735198970_559243970_4102598_5203759_s.jpg

31957_398735208970_559243970_4102599_3535343_n.jpg

Dug this picture out of Eric to jog folks memories,looks like Saints at Central Park(maybe a county Cup Final) and Alan Prescott being the other player.

All these of course are matters of opinion. Mine is that we have had many good full-backs with Brian Johnson the daddy of them all.

If Eric Frodsham is not too far back, he was a great deal better than most people gave him credit for. He certainly looked slow, but he nearly always got there.

Silcock scored some amazing tries as a prop but all round I would choose from Les Boyd; Danny Nutley; and Bob Jackson, although the present pair are not to be sniffed at.

Bob Eccles was perhaps the best attacking forward we ever had - just for one season when I think he was the leagues highest try scorer. Often wonder why he never carried it on.

Lastly, wonder if anyone knows who used to shout from the stand every time Steve Hesford took a goal kick "Every confidence Hesford". Hope someone remembers that.

Happy days

Not been watching the Wire for as many years as some but here's my team.

1. Dave Lyon.

2. Des Drummond.

3. Allan Bateman.

4. Jonathan Davis.

5. Mark Forster (Short of memory's)

6. Alan Langer.

7. Rocky Turner (Providing were not including Johns)

8. Adrian Morley.

9. Mick Monaghan.

10. Kevin Tamati.

11. Gary Sanderson

12. Ben Westwood.

13. Mike Gregory.

14. Nathen Wood.

15. Steve Roach.

16. Duane Mann.

17. Les Boyd.

• 2 weeks later...
Eric Fraser was a RL international..almost as quick as Bev and could kick goals from all over the place with the cannonball they played with in those days. Hesford was OK but he's wasn't a Fraser.

31957_398735198970_559243970_4102598_5203759_s.jpg

31957_398735208970_559243970_4102599_3535343_n.jpg

Dug this picture out of Eric to jog folks memories,looks like Saints at Central Park(maybe a county Cup Final) and Alan Prescott being the other player.

Definitely Central Park that one Latch...Kid's pen on the right. Over Prescot's left shoulder looks like AJ Muphy's Brylcreemed bonce but may be a little early for him. I reckon it's a final of some description being on a neutral ground with Wire having won the toss to wear our original strip. Could it have been the Lancs Cup Final when BBevan scored the only try of the game ? We won that one 5-4.