Containers

Coming back to a discussion on here some time ago, there is a documentary on BBC 4 right now where my claim about the low cost of shipping by container is borne out. The cost of delivering, for example, a wide screen TV from Asia to the UK is less than the cost of delivering the same item from the shop to your house. :wink::wink:

So are they saying that we should all buy from source Asp and collect on delivery to the country as it is far cheaper.

Can you imagine all the queues of shoppers at the at the shipping ports waiting for their goods ro arrive.... the queues in Argos are bad enough :lol::wink:

But then again YOU could always collect them for us locals eh... :D

When Peels Port gets up and running round here maybe they will offer a special 'delivery' service where they can launch ordered goods straight into people's front gardens as the boats pass down the Manchester Ship Canal... :wink:

fule miiles? Are you on the Chardonnay already? :lol:

Blimey, Eagle, it's Sunday night, Cheslea scored EIGHT, I fed half the population of Lymm and did the washing up. If I've not earned a typo or two, it's a poor show!! Stone cold sober - I rarely drink - and I have work to do yet. Just a careless few seconds. Which is largely how I ended up with half the population of Lymm to feed, now I think about it!! :lol::lol:

Good to know you're watching us all like a hawk...... :twisted:

I too watched the programme 'the box that changed the world' the most amazing thing is that it took such a long time to invent something so simple, quick and cost effective. After all those years of unloading ships that had taken weeks now takes one to two days unloading/loading thousands of containers. No wonder the dockers were so worried.

Liverpool docks now handle far more cargo with the advent of containerisation than they did in the loose cargo days but containers met with great resistance from the militant dockers. Their judgement was that their work was being taken from them and they proposed that each container entering the port of Liverpool should be accompanied by a mini bus of dockers because they considered stuffing and stripping containers was exclusively their work...Can you imagine the size of the workforce should such insanity have prevailed ? Each morning there would be thousands of dockers in hundreds of mini buses leaving the docks and following the containers. As someone who spent half their working life sitting and waiting to deliver goods on the Dock Road in the 60's and 70's it gave me great pleasure in their demise...They were a bone idle good for nothing bunch of thieves.

My dear old dad was once a lorry driver for Crosfields and he used to tell me the tales of the Crosfields wagons queue jumping by handing out the great quality leather riggers gloves the drivers used to get! :lol: