Super-rich become wealthier again.

LymmParent.

What really annoys me is that a goverment can sell off a public own organisations, such as the the utilities, give shares to the people who want to buy them, then when privatised can at will increase and invent charges to the public and give increased profits to the fats cats/bosses of the company for doing very little.

If the public own the companies then we should have had shares given to us free of charge to do with what we want?

Just a thought.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get real LP: the rich pay proportionaly less tax than the rest of us, via tax avoidance schemes and loop-holes; never heard of non-doms and off-shore accounts etc? :roll: No risk involved in aquiring State assets at knock down prices, from Vodka soaked Yeltsin, asset stripping them and then moving the money elsewhere - crime against "the people" in my book. Likewise, these "risk takers" in the City Banking sector, who gambled their way into the latest financial debacle - not held accountable - played with OUR money and lost it - and to rub salt in the wound, then got the Plebs to bale them out - they're having a laugh - at OUR expense. :twisted:

Get real LP: the rich pay proportionaly less tax than the rest of us, via tax avoidance schemes and loop-holes; never heard of non-doms and off-shore accounts etc?

Obs, 40% tax starts at less than ?40K taxable earnings. When you talk of "rich" you're are not talking about the comparatively few bods who can afford an island in the Caribbean, it's a layer of ordinary people who've worked hard and made a million or two. Your crew want to slice them for succeeding.

But if the people on that list are not registered as UK residents, or British nationals or taxpayers here, how can they be on a list of BRITAIN'S richest people in the first place? And pardon me for asking, but if Abramovich made his money from Russian oil, don't you think there's more of a case for him to pay taxes in Russia instead of subsidising your pension and hip replacements?

You just don't like rich people cos you're not one. If you had a few million, it'd be living safely on the Isle of Man! :twisted:

Fortunately, I've always had enough cash for my limited needs - so frankly, on a personal level, could give a fig about being rich: my views on this matter are merely an objective overview in the interests of fairness and the national interest. We're in for a bout of austerity, and the Gov will be looking for every penny it can find in the way of revenue, so put our taxmen on a percentage of what they claw in, and set them loose; meanwhile stitching up every loop hole they can find in the system. :wink:

On a point of order LP, Guernsey is better as a tax haven than the IOM if only for the better weather. Otherwise I agree with what you say. :wink::wink::wink:

Yes, Asp, but Guernsey is FRENCH Soil to Obs, whereas the IOM is almost England.... Personally, I favour the Caribbean. Soon as I shed the kids, the immediate massive upturn in my disposable income will cover at least one small island! Yes, just another decade of poverty to go - unless the last one wants to be a doctor.... :shock:

Whoops Obs, I fear you have mis-read the meaning of LPs post and I can hear the incoming salvo from here! goodnight, I'm offski!! :shock::shock::shock::shock:

Of course he misread me - it's hard to read anything accurately when your head's where his is! It's part of his charm though, Asp, so I'm not going to skewer him for it. For anyone else with Observer's blind spot, I did indeed know Guernsey was ours and I was just poking gentle fun at Observer's parochial instincts. :wink:

Whoops Obs, I fear you have mis-read the meaning of LPs post and I can hear the incoming salvo from here! goodnight, I'm offski!! :shock::shock::shock::shock:

For anyone else with Observer's blind spot, I did indeed know Guernsey was ours and I was just poking gentle fun at Observer's parochial instincts. :wink:

On the other hand, newbies could be forgiven in thinking that was a u-turn. :wink::P

For anyone else with Observer's blind spot, I did indeed know Guernsey was ours and I was just poking gentle fun at Observer's parochial instincts. :wink:

On the other hand, newbies could be forgiven in thinking that was a u-turn. :wink::P

Well, if you want to be technical, my post said that's French soil TO OBS. As opposed to the rest of us....so my intent was plain. If I'd been mistaken, as does often happen, I'd have just owned up. When you're wrong, you're wrong and there's no dignity in wriggling - ask Obs! :twisted:

Ambrovitch and the rest of the Oligarchs made a killing from the cheap sale (privatisation) of State assets, so basically stole their money from the Russian people.

Buying is not theft. No more so than all those people who bought shares in our privatised industries because they realised that as soon as trading started, the price would rocket. Risk brings reward. If the State had decided to take back all ownership at half what was paid, Abramovich would have lost his money.

If someone runs a mile really fast, he gets the Olympic gold medal and you clap. If someone has a talent for making money, he's a villain and a target for spite. Funny really, as you're the one funding the athlete's training handouts via taxes, whilst the rich man is paying in hundreds of times your tax contribution. Funny old world, yours.....

There's no doubt that is often a valid criticism, but come on LP, you're not really suggesting Ambramovich and his fellow Russina billionaires are anything but very very dodgy indeed are you?

From the world's biggest communist state, which has become on of the world's most corrupt, within a handful of years they become the richest men on the planet, and you think they were merely clever?

They were commercially astute, spotted and exploited an opportunity and as far as I know, they've been charged with nothing criminal. So I may wonder whether their hands are completely clean and I may doubt that their morals match their business acumen - but they are a long way ahead of empires built on cocaine or child labour.