Walton Gardens

Waltonian

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

totally off topic, but what are forums for after all???

Where to begin answering this????

They are a place where some people can pretend to be something they aren't in the real world. A place to air controversial, radical or outright bigoted views in the safety of anonimity that they haven't the courage or conviction to bring up in public. A place to whinge endlessly about absolutely everything under the sun but with no need to actually try to confront or affect any of these issues in the real world. In short Warrington Worldwide Whingefest would not be far short of the mark. Whinge over :D:D

• 2 weeks later...

How sad that this site failed to grasp the baton and let the thread dwindle. Fortunately it was revived in more dramatic style and is flying much better.

I still know more than many councillors and most of the 9000 people who have responded to our facebook site. Try the web-site www.savewaltongardens.co.uk if you want a bit more info. And if you get round to more active protests than sending each other smilies, you might even consider the evidence we have released and sign the petition.

When I get messages from very senior councillors admitting they were 'out of the loop' I worry. Hopefully, the campaign we have started will lead to a re-assessment of the proposed deal.

Your facebook site invites visitors to post facts if they find any and says you hope to be proved wrong when the truth comes to light. Don't come round our Forum thinking we're stupid - we're far from it. Don't sneer down at us because our conversations don't meet your preferences. We are concerned over Walton Hall and we are concerned that there appears to be some confusion over what's happening. But we're not going to be spoon-fed opinions by someone who can't enjoy the occasional smiley because his (or her) head is too firmly wedged up his (or her) own importance.

I've spoken to WBC, I've spoken to Walton Hall's staff, I've spoken to local Councillors too. I'm in the process of trying to find a Contesa contact to call. If there's anything illicit going on, I'll find it. Until I do, I'm not calling anyone names. Open spaces are important, but open minds are even more so. :D

LymmParent.... can you please exclude me (Dizzy) from your frequent use of the royal word 'WE' in your last rather nasty post please :roll::roll: Was there really any need for that outburst and since when was this only OUR forum anyway ??

Waltonion there is another topic under LOCAL ISSUE on this forum which running alongside this topic. It's called 'Walton Gardens SOLD'.... it's a bit more upto date as far as new comments and opinions go :wink:

Diz, stop being mard and over protective, Walt's post was very condescending towards OUR Forum and to borrow a recent piece of Urban Speak I think he/she is a twonk. He/she certainly appears to be a self important 'know it all' whose head is were LP intimated.

Must be just me then as I've read it three times and it's still not rattling my cage or pressing any buttons. Sorry Walt if that was your intention as it's not worked on me.... although the 'royal we' did as I can speak for myself thanks :lol:

Anyway as Walt's a member of this forum doesn't that mean its his/hers too :lol::wink::P

Over and out 8)

PS Eagle I'm and just going to have a little cry before wrapping myself in bubble wrap prior to sticking my own head where the sun don't shine :lol::wink:

I never mentioned you. But consider yourself excluded Dizzy. In fact, if it makes you happy, I'll apologise for appearing to include you in my use of "we". I said "we" aren't stupid, and "we" won't be spoon fed opinions. If you are and will, then I am sorry. I also stated "we" were concerned about Walton Hall and the surrounding confusion. If you are not, I apologise for that too.

As I didn't use "we" anywhere else, but reverted to "I" as I was actually not presuming to speak for others, but merely in their defence, can I assume that makes you happy again? Dare I send you a smiley? :lol:

FIGHT :lol: Sorry to disapoint you Byrdy but I'm still smiling and chilled.... even though I am now excluded (by my own request) from now on and also stupid and apparently sadly spoon fed too. Terrible at my age I know but such is life eh :lol:

I wish I was more sensitive but alas when the going gets tough I have been trained to become calmer and more focused... Grasshopper :wink::lol:

To suppress a truth is to give it force beyond endurance

Yet, it is eyes which blind the man

Because a man can see, he does not look

We are not fighting. We just don't agree on the minor points of an issue. Life would be exceedingly dull if that were not occasionally the case. We are both perfectly capable of disagreeing with good humour. In fact, we agree on the major points, which are the importance of the Park remaining open to the public and the need for WBC to be more proactive in explaining its actions. We just differ on exactly when we intend to start building the gallows!

:P

I too wish to be excluded from the Royal WE.

This forum is open to anyone who wishes to contribute, sadly not many do, which is not surprising when they receive the kind of welcome that Waltonion has! I hope it will not put them off posting as I appreciated and was very interested in the information relayed.

He/She has obviously meant to use the forum as a means of communication, on a rather serious issue, yet the thread was driven completely off course. Was there any need for this? There are sections on the forum for those who prefer just banter, such as 'General Chat'. Lymmparent, in those sections your posts have often been entertaining, in this thread they appear impolite.

I am amazed that the people of Warrington are not up in arms about the plans for Walton Gardens. Officially we are told nothing has been decided but unofficially it seems certain that the Hall will become a boutique Hotel with landscaped gardens, that other buildings like the ex-Heritage Yard will be part of this and that the public will not have free access to all the existing public park lands. And it is possible these decisions will be made without any public consultation. The plan is to bring huge investment to the facility, which WBC say they cannot finance, but do YOU want to sacrifice access to the most-loved open space in Warrington

Well speaking for myself, I'd be delighted if the council sold off the golf course, it would be the best thing that could happen to it. Sadly, that seems to be one area not up for discussion.

I too wish to be excluded from the Royal WE.

This forum is open to anyone who wishes to contribute, sadly not many do, which is not surprising when they receive the kind of welcome that Waltonion has! I hope it will not put them off posting as I appreciated and was very interested in the information relayed.

He/She has obviously meant to use the forum as a means of communication, on a rather serious issue, yet the thread was driven completely off course. Was there any need for this? There are sections on the forum for those who prefer just banter, such as 'General Chat'. Lymmparent, in those sections your posts have often been entertaining, in this thread they appear impolite.

Sha, You are correct, but IF that was to happen, these threads would not get commented on. It is the 'light-hearted' posts that keep them going, and IF you read between the lines, you WILL find serious answers/posts. Check the number of responses on different threads. That tells how much people take notice and highlights people's concerns.

If Waltonian was here to communicate, why does the post not include the information he/she says that even senior councillors don't have, but he/she does? Why isn't that information on the website he/she links?

If you actually go and look at WBC's own website, you will find that in June 2009, they placed an open statement about this on the News pages. It said they were inviting partners to help save Walton for future generations via commercial investment. It said public access was to be safeguarded. It said WBC would select one or more partners, put together a plan and bring the plan for public consultation in Summer 2010. Exactly what they've done. As secret conspiracies go, announcing it up front on your public news page is fairly ineffective really. On the other hand, isn't it odd that something out there for almost a year now has blown up into a major hatefest against the current council immediately before an election? With no facts out there, just a lot of accusations?

And can we all be clear - the Royal "we" is actually when a monarch refers to himself or herself in the plural, ie "we are not amused". I was referring to the posting community here when I said "we" were not stupid and "we" were concerned about the Hall. Now why that usage should offend anyone, I do not know - but I made absolutely no attempt at all to state opinions on anyone's behalf but my own and it's getting tiresome being accused of doing so.

Yep tiresome just about sums it up nicely LP :lol::lol:

PS you LP won't find much on the councils own website as only documents they WANT you too see are uloaded for public viewing and without doubt this will have all been in the pipelines for a lot longer than just the past year. :wink:

Here it is. Matches what's been done to date, matches their current statement.

Home News Events Contact Us Site Index Site Help You are here: Home News 2009 June Looking to the future

Looking to the future

Warrington Borough Council is keen to safeguard the long term future of local landmark Walton Hall and is in the process of developing a masterplan of investment and improvement of the estate.

In order to do this, the council is looking to work with other partners, operators and organisations to help draw up sympathetic plans for the future.

It is hoped this opportunity will enhance the range of on site leisure activities.

The ultimate aim is securing the long term sustainability and preservation of this historic local asset for the benefit of the local community, whilst at the same time to attract investment to conserve, improve and maintain this wonderful asset.

Public access to the estate will be safeguarded.

The estate and golf course covers 196 acres and includes the historic conference and function centre; formal gardens and parkland; 18 hole 6,800 yard (par 72) golf course and clubhouse; a range of estate outbuildings; a zoo, play area and other outdoor leisure/ recreational facilities.

Contributions are particularly encouraged from local/ regional organisations and partners and interests are invited by Friday 17 July.

And here's another one on the subject of funding - a million quid just to bring back the greenhouses for public use.

Home News Events Contact Us Site Index Site Help You are here: Home News 2009 September Walton Hall greenhouses

Walton Hall greenhouses

A consultation is currently underway to gage levels of public support for the refurbishment of the greenhouses at Walton Hall.Feedback received during this process will support an application to the Heritage Lottery Fund for a ?1 million grant to carry out the work.

Suggested improvements include the addition of educational facilities and a caf?.

Please complete and return the form or visit the consultation database before Sunday 27 September to take part or find out more.

Yep already seen those as like you say they are on the web site and have been for a while...it is what they want you too know.

... but what about all the other reports etc have you found any of those yet. :lol:

Good ones to look for are original internally produced 'Options Appraisal' type documents

Any funding applications or associated docs that relate to the hall/other buildings/gardens and of course the one that relates to the greenhouse

Also all Asset Management Plans / Condition Surveys etc

Obviously there will be a lot of other documents and reports too but I'm getting bored now.... but there's a few to get you going.

Happy searching :D

(PS a FOI request may be your best bet but it has to be worded correctly or they can leave documents/info out :wink: )