Where have all the Factories Gone

toolrunner23

Evil sid. I worked at tennents for a few years until 1978.i used to pick the fire parts( forgot what they call them). Job description was A Fettler. Can remember a few who worked there, Nellie Gallop, Edith Farrington, Carol Lound. Margaret Bolton (married Alan Heany who also worked there). Our supervisor at the time was Tommy Jenks. Good old days, really enjoyed my time there.

These old threads are confusing! I just read it backwards  :blink:

It's because they are topics from the very old forum we used to have years ago Tracey.  I don't think anything can be done about it as I think it all ran on different software etc etc but rather than delete them all I suppose it's good that they are still here for reading as some are really interesting even though they do have to be read backwards.  It's very rare that anyone posts on any so it's not usually a problem.... well until now that is. 

I shall make enquiries to see if anything can be done, but I doubt it. 

Evil sid. I worked at tennents for a few years until 1978.i used to pick the fire parts( forgot what they call them). Job description was A Fettler. Can remember a few who worked there, Nellie Gallop, Edith Farrington, Carol Lound. Margaret Bolton (married Alan Heany who also worked there). Our supervisor at the time was Tommy Jenks. Good old days, really enjoyed my time there.

A very warm welcome to the forum Annie :)   As you too will have noticed this is a very old topic from over 4 years ago and like Tracey has mentioned it has to be read backwards.  Not good I know but on a more positive note at least it will keep people awake while they try to follow it again at first.  Evil Sid is still an active member on here so lets see if he can remember what he was talking about :lol:

of course I can. not senile yet (but am working on it) :mrgreen:

when i get in touch with mum later on today or tomorrow i will throw a few names at her and se eif she can remember them as well. not sure when she finished at tennants but it will give her something to think about whilst she is laid up in bed with her leg in plaster.

think my aunt may have worked there as well but without talking to the fount of all knowledge for the area i can not be certain. so if Joan LLoyd or Eileen Hinde ring any bells let me know.(the latter is my mum as Joan did not have any children).

of course I can. not senile yet (but am working on it) :mrgreen:

when i get in touch with mum later on today or tomorrow i will throw a few names at her and se eif she can remember them as well. not sure when she finished at tennants but it will give her something to think about whilst she is laid up in bed with her leg in plaster.

think my aunt may have worked there as well but without talking to the fount of all knowledge for the area i can not be certain. so if Joan LLoyd or Eileen Hinde ring any bells let me know.(the latter is my mum as Joan did not have any children).

Name doesn't ring a bell.. I notice you were born the same year as me, I was born November 1957..Went to Orford Secondry Modern School..A few more names to ask your mum..Ann Manfredi,her mum Kath was the supervisor with Audrey Ormond...I was only there from 1974 to 1978...Let me know,I love going back to the days.. Cheers.... .Ann

Arthur Monk and co,

Monks went Bankrupt in the 90s, got taken over by Trafalgar house who shut down the Warrington site

will ask my mother about tennants when i next see her.

Greenings has now gone and is a housing estate or at least mostly a housing estate. my father worked there as a weaver for many years and as transport charge hand. my sister did a stint there for a while and my brother used to work for C R Transport who did a lot of the haulage for them.

Greenings is still going, not in Warrington the name of the company escapes me

Worked at Rubery Owens for 20 years till it closed in 1985.The 3 firms that were on that site-Rubery Owens,Conveyancer & Electro Hydraulics,employed well over 3,000 people between them,all gone alas.

Conveyancer was part of Leyland and was shut down to concentrate production in Coventry, it was taken over by Lancing Bagnal (SP?) who went bust and was taken over by a Swedish company (neighbour worked for them)

Playing part devils advocate, Warrington doesn't appear to be doing too badly.

What happened to Rylands?

After selling their land to Sainsbury's and for housing development, did thay move out of the area or abroad, are they still in existence, did they get taken over or closed down?

Ryland was still going a few years ago, name of the company I forget but the housing estate where it was is called after it on Battersby Lane. The wire is made in a factory in St Helens and nails were moved to Poland years ago

Latchford not Grappenhall.Peter Stubs still going but now called Erasteel-Stubs(French owned).

There was three divisions of Peter Stubs, files, welding and wire extraction. Files was sold to Stanley Tools, moved to Portugal but they do not produce files any more,

New World went through a series of owners, flymo, a management buy out and now owned by glen dimlex and produced in prescot i think

Well a few more names for the list for when i see mum, probably saturday, may well be that she had left there before 1974. by then I think she was working at locker airmaze but i will find out and let you know what she has to say.

between 74 and 78 was the time i did my apprentiship at risley, 78 being the year i married Mrs Sid.

interesting info Coffee

thanks!

Carringtons Wire took over Rylands, who in turn got taken over by a Russian company in 2006 and closed down two sites in Yorkshire, don't know what happened to the St Helens factory.

In 2007 I came to Warrington for an interview and stayed with a friend. Walking past what remand of the factory in Bewsey Lane we noted an ad for new  housing  on the site, so we decided to climb in through a hole in a wall to see what was inside even though i was wearing heels and a dress. Inside was a room full of records, dating back hundreds of years, plans, share certificates , catalogues .

I contacted the firm that took over Greenings and the MD spent a long time chatting to me but told me all the records were donated to Warrington Museum, Warrington Museum told me that the Cheshire archive and records office was in charge. I spoke to them and a lady told me as far as they were aware everything was emptied when the building stopped being used.

Some weeks later demolition began and I believe all the stuff got skipped

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/industrial-sites/17597-greenings-wires-28-07-07-a.html

The above are not my photos

Well talked to mum and she recognised a few of the names on the list unfortunately she had left before 74 so only some of the "older" ones were remembered by her. I could let you know which if i could only get my memory to work. will have to dig the list out and see what i can remembr her saying. been one of those days today all in all.

• 5 years later...
On 3/31/2010 at 7:19 PM, harry hayes said:

Arthur Monk and co, Sue. He used to have a race-horse called quiver the second. It was pretty good class and seemed to win whenever he circulated a tip. Happy days indeed.

Happy days

Hi does anyone have any brochures or info about monks please.