Spartacus on television now

Jerry

Not the Kirk Douglas/Lawrence Olivier version, a blood and sand series made for TV similar to the ROME series of a couple years ago. This one features MORE nudity and soft core shenanigans and male gladiator oiled muscles. I resisted it for two months but caught the last half of an episode tonight. I like the dialog, it echoes Robert Graves to my untutored ear.

Not sure we've had that one here Jezz? I usually watch them to pick at their historical accuracy! Kirk fought his final battle when trapped between the armies of Crassus (Lawrence Olivier) and Pompey, around the heel of Italy (doubt the flaming faggots were ever used!) - but some histories say Spartacus was coraled into the toe of Italy, where he was imprisoned by fortifications and starved into surrender. Crassus was a super rich Patrician, having made a lot of money creating a fire brigade from his slaves, then holding customers to ransom on the price for saving their properties. However, he did get his just deserts in the end, after losing the battle of Carrea(?) against the Parthians - some accounts say he " played the Roman fool", and fell on his sword; others, that the Parthian King forced him to swallow a large amount of gold, then cut his head off. :shock:

I appreciate the scholarly approach to this historical figure -- in the Hollywood version I think the Mediterranean pirates left S. out to dry either satisfied with the loot S gave them or not wishing to tangle with the authorities of Rome. Also appreciate the allusions to the final scene "I am...." and the Life of Brian. The third episode of the TV series was shown this week, with S forced to fight to the death for the amusement of a 15 year old Roman aristocrat.