Dispatches.....

Bazj

did anyone see the programme last night?

What makes these two bit proper job dodgers think they are worth that sort of money? and why aren't they being prosecuted?

Brown has suspended them from the PLC which is a start but they should be jailed for something or anything for being so pompous and greedy

They keep telling us that we are a knowledge based society; these ex-ministers have knowledge of Departments of Gov; which they appear prepared to sell to any bidder. Seems a gagging clause is required upon becoming a Member of Parliament, consisting of a 30 year rule - break it, and it should be treated as an act of treason against the people - with the appropriate penalty for treason :shock::wink:

I think that prostituting themselves to the highest bidder is the least of the bad things they get up to....... I'd shoot them all just for wanting to be MP's in the first place because just wanting to be must mean a person is crooked!

:lol: brilliant psychology Baz, perhaps a job in the thought police for you?! :lol: Can't blame them wanting a few jollies on the tax payer, after all the time they don't spend in the chamber; oops sorry - fact finding visits - errm Cyprus is nice and sunny, but Mauritius is really good! :wink:

I think that prostituting themselves to the highest bidder is the least of the bad things they get up to....... I'd shoot them all just for wanting to be MP's in the first place because just wanting to be must mean a person is crooked!

Bit harsh Baz. I wanted to be an MP when I stood in 2005 and I'm certainly not crooked.....although a poster on the Warrington Guardian online described me in somewhat "colourful terms" :wink::D

Ps Funnily enough it was a variant of the 4th word in your post. :D:D:D

But then the most experienced and knowledgeable politicians would be forced to move on and inevitably, somewhere down the line, you'll have a situation where there are no decent candidates left.

We have a system whereby anyone not up to the job can be voted out after one term and replaced if that is the wish of the electorate. Let's stick with that. Then if I think I have a really good local Councillor or MP, and I want to keep them, I can.

But then the most experienced and knowledgeable politicians would be forced to move on and inevitably, somewhere down the line, you'll have a situation where there are no decent candidates left.

That has already happened. BOTH Labour and Conservative got rid of their experienced politicians when Blair took over. Probably why the country has been in such a mess this last couple of decades. :roll:

Does one have to have an intimate knowledge of the law in order to sit on a Jury? - NO, because points of law and advice are given by professionals to the laymen on the Jury. Likewise, we have an army of professional civil servants and advisors to guide politicians through the complexities of Governance - so no need for "experienced" politicians, just honest ones, hopefully with some common sense. Aside from which, longevity in office breeds arrogance and complacency, and uluimately corruption - so term limitation would possibly restore some trust in the system. :shock: Parliamentary governance is a device to save us all voting on every issue that comes along in a referendum; so, we empower people through an election to do the thinking, debating and voting for us. :?

That has already happened. BOTH Labour and Conservative got rid of their experienced politicians when Blair took over. Probably why the country has been in such a mess this last couple of decades. :roll:

Then all the more reason not to make it standard procedure, surely? :?

Peter, surely you don't believe we have anything but a "yes Minister" arrangement now? The Council is now more Officer led than ever! The reality is: that power, and thus decision making relevance has gravitated from the people, first to Westminister, then to Brussels, and with our "global economy" to the boardrooms of multi-national companies - politicians decide little, but merely manage within the context of unelected and faceless economic forces. :shock::cry: EG: when Healey was strapped for cash. he had to go cap in hand to the IMF. Today the Greeks are doing the same - and the price will be paid by ordinary people in terms of austerity. :cry: So, all in all, democracy is basically a facade, which prompts the question - why are we paying so much for it? :?