co-op hall on winwick st

lynnl

Yes that was quite common back in the day. Small but impossible to drink on it own it was so strong and needed to be diluted down with something. There are bucket loads of drinks that have gone out of fashion, especially for the ladies who now seem content with half a larger or glass of prosecco.

I'd love a brandy and Babycham dearest. 

Your right luv it is the dearest. Here's your mild with a dash of blackcurrant. :)

Bill :) 

• Haha 1

Old Chester was in a similar sized bottle to Babycham .... there was also Triple A ,i think 5 star & (something) Gold, plus many good quality Burtonwood ales knocking about that were not sold widely in Warrington. I believe it was late 60s /early 70s when the Mad Hatter was opened.

I nearly ended up working as an apprentice lab technician at Burtonwood brewery when I left school, but another job came along before they replied to me. I had a go at brewing a couple of years ago as a Christmas present from one of the kids. It was for a southern chain called Brewhouse and Kitchen who’s most northerly location was Chester. I though it would be watching them make the stuff but when we got there it was wellies on lads and get them sacks of grain down to the brewhouse. Just me and my drinking mate Pete made the entire daily batch while sampling six different pints of ale that they produced there. Brilliant day!

Brewhouse.jpg

• Upvote 2

Just tried to Google it and amazingly there's a brewery now called Falstaff that brews a beer called Walker. :)

Never been a big fan of winter beers. just one to show a bit of Christmas spirit then back to my regular bitter. As a kid I used to collect beer mats along with the usual matchboxes and stamps so I remember all the old names but not always the taste.

• Upvote 1