co-op hall on winwick st

lynnl

Screeming Lord Sutch played at the Co-op Hall. He used to be carried on stage in a coffin. Part way through the first number he would kick the lid off and jump out of it. In later years he stood for Parliament under The Raving Mad Looney Party. They have to start somwhere I suppose. :D:x:x:D:D

Not too sure about the laundry, but I think it is now a hair dressers.

Very sorry to hear about the co-op hall. We used to have some good times there. My sister and I used to go to a nearby off-licence and get a bottle filled up with draught sherry and drink it through a straw before going on to the co-op. Very naughty weren't we? Actually the night we were leaving Warringto to come to Oz I got arrested and taken to the police station for fighting with another girl. It was New Year's eve and we had to catch the train at Bank Quay station to go to London and then on to Southampton. They only let me go because I was leaving the country. Good riddance they said. We only just made it to the station on time.

• 1 month later...
Arrrh,the dreaded draft sherry from the shop in Orford Lane,a shilling a pint,put into an old pop bottle,then on to the bricky field to down it in one,then onto the Bell Hall or Co-op Hall.The smell of sherry still makes me feel sick 45 years later!

Friday nights at the co-op hall just sign in/pay your ticket money to the doorman and then get your hand rubber stamped so you could go outside . and straight over the road to the British Tar pub :) 5 pints of Greenalls Mild and back to the co-op for the last half hour ....wonderful days :)

• 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Jack Frodsham's was on Winwick Street in the wide bit ,where the horse market used to take place, & on the opposite side to Central Station. Since you are asking about Frodsham's you may also remember the Beachcomber Cafe where some bikers used to gather. That was opposite Froddy's.

19 minutes ago, Davy51 said:

Jack Frodsham's was on Winwick Street in the wide bit ,where the horse market used to take place, & on the opposite side to Central Station. Since you are asking about Frodsham's you may also remember the Beachcomber Cafe where some bikers used to gather. That was opposite Froddy's.

I used the Beachcomber back in 1966, I don't really remember any bikers though there were a few young US soldiers(teenage conscripts really) who just kept telling us how they thanked God every day that they had been posted to Burtonwood instead of Vietnam!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Davy51 said:

I am thinking more about 68/9 Latch. I was a Hogie Wagoner myself but the local Hell's Angels used to go in the Beachcomber. I think the may have found it too cold in Bank Street car park as they all looked quite elderly to us.

Hogie Wagon on a Friday night at 11.30(closing time in 1966)..... Blood and broken teeth all over the place !!!

Get the foot long Hogie and eat the sausage and onions by the time we reached Bridge Foot(on the way home to Latchford) then throw the bread into the Mersey  😂

Oh and as a footnote didn't the "Bikers" also go in the Vulcan Pub on Dallam Lane ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

60 winwick street was the address. not sure where that was in relation to the railway line. Bought a few motor bikes from there over the years. trying to remember if it was before the rainbow cafe or after as you walk from town centre.

The Rainbow was directly opposite the Beachcomber, I think it was next door to The Bay Horse?

1 hour ago, Davy51 said:

I don't actually remember the Vulcan pub but didn't the site have something to do with the town's railway history & that of the origins of the West Coast Main Line ?

Not sure... But it was opposite the railway sidings and bridge that led into British Steel rolling mills plant.