HELP Slow and hanging internet ?

Dizzy

Is anyone else having trouble with their internet and accessing web pages at the moment?

I am... it's a nightmare and I can hardly get on any sites or open any internet links (including this site). I get onto Virgins home page fine but then it goes downhill from there.

Has been getting progressively worse over the past two days to the point tonight where it is now almost unusable.

I am on Virgin Broadband, using Internet Explorer version 810.6001.18702 with AVG and ZoneAlarm.

My dad is having similar problems

He is on BT Broadband and has tried accessing the internet via BT's Yahoo browser and also Internet Explorer but both are like mine and hang in the same way. He's also using AVG and Zone Alarm

I am only on now as I am using 'Google Chrome' (which I didn't know was a web browser) and it is running like a power crazed rocket and is faster than I am. So I don't think it's my PC or connection... it must be a problem with the other browsers.

Only thing we have in common is that we have both been looking at Google Earth over the weekend so maybe something has been updated.....

Would roll back but to last week but my 'system restore' function will not work for any of my past restore points :cry:

Any suggestions as although google chrome works and is very fast it's functionality is naff and seems quite basic so I'd rather use what I've always used :?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it could be that AVG and Zone alarm are starting to conflict when you use internet explorer.

it is not normally recommended that you run two anti virus programs at once. try just running one of them at a time and see if that alleviates the problem.

in saying that i do not use internet explorer much and prefer firefox. even that can be a bit slow on some pages and can hog the CPU on certain pages.(cooling fan sounds like a turbo charger at times)

it is also worth checking what processes are running. some automatic updaters for programs can slow your connection down as they check for the latest version. i tend to turn those off and do a manual check when i run the program.

Check your free space, you might need to get rid of stuff that you don't need. Have you defragged lately? Clear your e-mail stuff, including 'sent' ones, etc.

Temporary files are another thing.

Yes, The last couple of weeks things have been slow. I am on Virgin broadband and Firefox. I find that things get slower just before they decide to do an upgrade on Firefox. Explorer was a pain!!!

I got rid of McAfee AND Zonealarm. Just have AVG now. They did conflict.

it could be that AVG and Zone alarm are starting to conflict when you use internet explorer.

it is not normally recommended that you run two anti virus programs at once.

Zone Alarm is a firewall,not an anti-virus.They both run fine together.

For what it's worth Dis,i'm on the Stockton Heath exchange same as you but no problems here(Bt broad band).

Hi all... thanks for the suggestions... replies below (sorry if it's a bit long winded ) PS having to use google chrome again as still can't get on otherwise

Did you try shutting off Zone Alarm and run it?

If not did you run a full scann of the system? Maybe you have a worm? What system is it? Does it need updates?

Hi Mary, thanks. Already tried turning off ZA and AVG but makes no difference. System updates are all latest version.

it is also worth checking what processes are running. some automatic updaters for programs can slow your connection down as they check for the latest version. i tend to turn those off and do a manual check when i run the program.

As above but did wonder about the processes that are running? there are loads of them and haven?t a clue what I need and what I don?t these days. Any ideas? Bring back Windows 98

Check your free space, you might need to get rid of stuff that you don't need. Have you defragged lately? Clear your e-mail stuff, including 'sent' ones, etc.

Temporary files are another thing.

I got rid of McAfee AND Zonealarm. Just have AVG now. They did conflict.

Good idea about defrag as I?m not sure if that has run for a while? will check.

Temp files, web access links, cookies etc etc deleted daily and Tracks Eraser software also runs most days.

Not cleared emails for ages although outlook express does keep prompting me to?.

If I compress (clear?) them as it suggests will I lose all the emails I have already read or ones I have sent as I do tend to refer back to them all from time to time

For what it's worth Dis,i'm on the Stockton Heath exchange same as you but no problems here(Bt broad band).

They?ve worked fine together for years but as mentioned above I still get the same problem when they are both switched off.

Interesting that your BT is fine though and that you are in the same area? will let my dad know

Have you tried a system restore back to when it was working OK?

System restore has not worked for a few months now?. It appears to create restore points and when used goes through the process of restoring but when started up again says ?no changes have been made to the system?. try another date? none work.

Googled it and it says to disable system restore, restart pc, then reactivate system restore. It apparently clears out the space needed for saving restore points but from what I understand it DELETES ALL PAST RESTORE POINTS on your pc. Not sure I am brave enough to delete them all though? just incase

:cry:

Anyway off to defrag etc now... any more suggestions gratefully received... thanks all :D:wink:

AVG scan still running but not found anything yet 2 hours later.....

I got sidetracked by the fire on the other side of the canal..... :shock:

will try the malware link you posted tomorrow.. cheers :wink:

Still on chrome by the way :cry:

What fire is that?

Trans pennine trail embankment next to the old Walton Locks :shock:

flames.jpg

burnt1.jpg

If you want to keep your e-mails etc. buy an external drive and save them to that. It will save cluttering up your memory.

You could always try Mozilla Firefox. It's free and if you don't like it, change back.

Just manually deleted loads of old emails took me ages :lol: Think you are right about an external hard drive as I've got so much info on my pc it's probably clogged up :?

It's was scarey too see from this side of the canal and the pic shows the flames when they weren't too bad. :shock:

Anyway back to pc's... leaving them on all the time can be a fire hazard Peter..... and a security hazard

Think I am getting to the bottom of my clogged up oc though thanks to all your suggestions.

I tried to run a defrag and that wouldn't work either as it said I only has 13% (12 gig) available free space on my 'c' drive :shock: So presumably that is why my system restore isn't working either.

I copied all my documents and folders to my 'z' drive last year as my pc is partitioned (is that the word) but having just had a look it seems I never did get round to deleting the folder from my 'c' drive... so I had everything twice :oops::lol: So have just got another 20 gig of space back on 'c'.

Defrags now plodding away and I'll get there in the end :lol:

I only has 13% (12 gig) available free space on my 'c' drive Shocked So presumably that is why my system restore isn't working either.

plenty enough for system restore to work,still think you may have some malware on it,AVG is ok but doesn't pick up them all like Malwarebytes does,it'll cost you nothing to use & may save you from a lot of trouble!

You are right there should be enough space.... Athough I typed gig my brain was thinking meg :oops:

Will download Malwarebytes when my defrag eventually finishes. :wink: Is it something to use INSTEAD of AVG or something that I can use alongside AVG ? Used to have spybot that I ran manually once a week... is it like that ?

Sorry for all the questions :oops:

I had a virtually identical problem about three weeks ago but it occurred immediately after I'd updated to the latest version of AVG. I ended up having to completely reinstalled AVG then put it back again and bingo it completely cured the problem.

I'd be very concerned if I had so little disc storage available. You seriously need to free up a lot of space, empty the recycle bin then do a defrag again then see what happens.

I've been doing battle with some major software stability issues here at work for the past month or so but just yesterday I realised that what I thought was a random intermittent actually reliably occurred when the date was an even day but not odd :roll:

So I'm sitting here now while the software guys in the USA are working remotely on my network to try to track down this bug.

The wonders of technology!

Bill :)

Thanks Bill. Might uninstall AVG and reinstall like you say.....

BUT after a whole day of doing all sorts to my blummin PC Internet Explorer is actually working at the moment so might just try it out for an hour and see if it starts to slow down again.

My 'c drive now has 48 gig free space (out of a possible 97.6 gig)

My 'z' drive now has 83.8 gig free (out of a possible 135 gig)

Every file/folder/photo is now in my 'z' drive... not that I'll probably ever find anything now :lol:

Did a restore point and tried to restore back to it BUT IT STILL WONT WORK :evil:

PS BYRDY..... I downloaded and ran the malware software you suggested and it did find 18 instances :shock: although it said no action was taken (and it also crashed my PC with a blue screen saying mbamswissarmy.sys :? but that's another story) I ran it again and it found the same files but I haven't been brave enough to delete them yet as I can't restore if it all goes and wrong :shock::oops:

There wasn't any on screen advice and it didnt say if they were harmless, dangerous or anything like that.

When the full scan had finished the window just listed the findings and there were some buttons at the bottom.

One was delete (and I didn't know if it meant phsically delete the files or delete what was in the window :oops: ). Others were to print or save log file... which I did.

There were also tabs at the top saying 'quaranteen' 'logs' 'settings etc but after the scan had finished it wouldn't let me click them and I've just gone into it again and there is nothing there anymore :?

It's been a long day :lol::lol:

I'll put the log file on here eh... sorry if I am becoming more of a pain than usual :oops::lol:

Log file :D Thanks :wink:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44

Database version: 3876

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

17/03/2010 18:15:02

mbam-log-2010-03-17 (18-14-44).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)

Objects scanned: 369034

Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 6 minute(s), 45 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 1

Registry Keys Infected: 9

Registry Values Infected: 1

Registry Data Items Infected: 1

Folders Infected: 1

Files Infected: 5

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\antiwpa.dll (Trojan.I.Stole.Windows) -> No action taken.

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{f6a9c779-4730-42f7-9142-432860d0b778} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> No action taken.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\xxyabyab (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> No action taken.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f6a9c779-4730-42f7-9142-432860d0b778} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> No action taken.

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{19127ad2-394b-70f5-c650-b97867baa1f7} (Backdoor.Bot) -> No action taken.

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{43bf8cd1-c5d5-2230-7bb2-98f22c2b7dc6} (Backdoor.Bot) -> No action taken.

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{494e6cec-7483-a4ee-0938-895519a84bc7} (Backdoor.Bot) -> No action taken.

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{19127ad2-394b-70f5-c650-b97867baa1f7} (Backdoor.Bot) -> No action taken.

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{43bf8cd1-c5d5-2230-7bb2-98f22c2b7dc6} (Backdoor.Bot) -> No action taken.

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{494e6cec-7483-a4ee-0938-895519a84bc7} (Backdoor.Bot) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Network\uid (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.

Registry Data Items Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Hijack.Userinit) -> Bad: (C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\sdra64.exe,) Good: (Userinit.exe) -> No action taken.

Folders Infected:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lowsec (Stolen.data) -> No action taken.

Files Infected:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\xxyabyaB.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> No action taken.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lowsec\local.ds (Stolen.data) -> No action taken.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lowsec\user.ds (Stolen.data) -> No action taken.

C:\RECYCLER\ADAPT_Installer.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\antiwpa.dll (Trojan.I.Stole.Windows) -> No action taken.

Dis,i'm afraid thats very bad,you definatly need to get rid of all of them,you should be able to tick the box on all of them & quarantine them so you'll be safe.Then re-boot & do another scan just to be sure they are gone.In the meantime,don't do any online banking etc.,as you could have a keystroke-logger in there.

:shock::shock: You can't just say it's very bad... I need to know more info.. what exactly are they all .. and we use internet banking on this PC for our business too :shock:

How on earth do I quaranteen them..it didn't tell me what to do... it just said 'delete'.. it's not like spybot, avg or anything I'm used too :shock:

Only one I googled was the 'Trojan.I.Stole.Windows' one and most sites said it was to do with microsoft (it's something or other that looks for unlicensed copies of XP)... and if you delete it it can screw your whole pc up in a click and locks everything even if you didn't know/or haven't actually got an unlicensed copy of XP :shock:

If I delete them and it all goes wrong I still have no way of restoring my system back :shock:

Oh **** just what I needed to read before bed time... do I sound like I am panicing YES I DO !!!!

Internet Explorer is working fine now though :cry:

As you can see,you've got a few trojans on your PC,backdoor ones which hide away,as for the *i stole windows* one,you do have the win XP activation code for the PC?The question is,how come you got all these in the first place,i know it's not you going on dodgy sites,but someone maybe.They didn't just get installed by chance.I can only repeat-don't put in any banking etc passwords before they are all removed.PM me if you want more help off forum.