What's gone wrong!!

theinsider

Six weeks ago pushing for the play offs - now one win in eight! What has gone wrong.

OK I realise a couple of key players have gone missing through injury or taking their ball home - but there is still plenty of quality up front but they don't seem to be able to score enough goals.

The new signings look good but they don't seem to be gelling as a team.

The playoff's were never the aim this season and we have done very well to get so close to them. This season was about building on the previous ones and finishing higher.

We can be proud of our league position and I have belief that next season we can push on to the playoffs as this team we have is full of quality, but it has been thrown together in recent weeks due to injuries and suspensions..

The dip in form coincides with injuries to key defensive players, players suspended, and an unsettled goalkeeper. Every team has a dip during the season and unfortunately it has occurred for the Yellows in the third quarter of the season.

The playoffs were always going to be a difficult target, but hey, it?s good to be looking up rather than down.

We now have the core of a team to build on for next season, where we can only hope for more consistency and a push for the playoffs.

My belief has always been that Town would be a mid table side this season, which is a vast improvement on previous years, when we have been fighting against relegation all season long. This talk about getting into the play offs was unrealistic and I voiced this at the start of the season. Lets finish as high as possible this year and then push for promotion/play offs next season. So far this has been a great season, with some fantastic performances, taking 6 points off Curzon Ashton :lol:, knocking old foes Nantwich and Leigh out of cups, but also some really poor performances (Mossley away for example). Lets just be happy with where we are for this season and get behind Joey and the boys for the rest of the season.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS

I do think the club set themselves up for disappointment by constantly talking up 'promotion hopes' or the 'play offs'. While it's good to have ambition if that ambition is unrealistic it leads to a feeling of underachievement.Talk of the play offs should only be the norm if Town and consistenly in a top six berth.

Making a bid for the play-offs was the goal from the start of the season - as long as I am involved at board level we will be attempting to achieve everything possible.

A town the size of Warrington needs to be higher up the league tables.

We have been punching below our weight for far too long.

I will not settle for having a mediocre team in Warrington.

I am delighted most fans are happy but I will only be totally satisified when the team eventually wins promotion and silverware.

I just hope I don't have to wait too long!

:roll:

Making a bid for the play-offs was the goal from the start of the season - as long as I am involved at board level we will be attempting to achieve everything possible.

I am delighted most fans are happy but I will only be totally satisified when the team eventually wins promotion and silverware.

Does that mean there are no ambitions after promotion?????

Does that mean there are no ambitions after promotion?????

I imagine the ambitions would change to staying in the premier league, with a push towards the Europa League? :wink:

What do you think are the reasons for the eternal poor showing?

Just the one, Rugby League.

i disagree look at citys like hull and leeds they have huge followings in each sport!

even smaller towns have or have had teams in the top flight in both sports!

Warringtons main problem is that the people of warrington in the main dont care about warrington town! we have 4 massive clubs within an hours drive away then add other premier league teams in the local area!

if you dont think the people of warrington are intrested in football can i point out that warrington has one of the biggest football leagues in the country both open age and junior!!

What do you think are the reasons for the eternal poor showing?

Just the one, Rugby League.

Are you suggesting the population of Warrington has not got the capacity to appreciate more than one thing?

I follow both passionately and when offered the opportunity decided to put some time and energy in helping the football club raise its profile.

What do you think are the reasons for the eternal poor showing? When you see smaller towns like Bolton & Wigan in the EPL, it makes you realise just how poorly represented the town has been on the football field.

Lack of success over the years hasn't helped - but the tide is slowly turning and once some success arrives the support will follow.

The key word is "profile" isn't it? Local football is a bit in the shadow of the giant clubs on the doorstep, whereas Wolves are telly material. Personally, I'd look to be sending players into local primary schools to maybe do some skills training with the kids, or running a tourney at Cantilever, so a couple of school teams played 15 mins each way before every home game - you'd increase the gate by at least 22 paying parents a game that way, not to mention 22 kids plus subs and the odd devoted granny! Avoid them drifting off before the main game by presenting the kids' Man of the Match Award at the end of the day.... sneaky, eh? Cost you nothing much, get you a mention in assemblies all over the region. Recruit you an army of devoted lads..... :wink:

I agree going for the play offs at the start of the season is a reasonable target, but talking about pushing for the play offs in towns current league position is stretching credibility too much.I think I heard team boss JD mention it this week? I think it breeds disappointment if town are continually seen as falling short or their own stated targets.

Warrington seems to have a lot of people with affliation to the Manchester and Liverpool clubs but this can be a potential support base, not everyone can afford premier league football and live footy and scores are available in the clubhouse.

The best way to get people in is to have a winning team, it doesn't matter what level you play it more people come along to watch a winning team, don't understand it myself but it's a fact.

The key word is "profile" isn't it? Local football is a bit in the shadow of the giant clubs on the doorstep, whereas Wolves are telly material. Personally, I'd look to be sending players into local primary schools to maybe do some skills training with the kids, or running a tourney at Cantilever, so a couple of school teams played 15 mins each way before every home game - you'd increase the gate by at least 22 paying parents a game that way, not to mention 22 kids plus subs and the odd devoted granny! Avoid them drifting off before the main game by presenting the kids' Man of the Match Award at the end of the day.... sneaky, eh? Cost you nothing much, get you a mention in assemblies all over the region. Recruit you an army of devoted lads..... :wink:

The players work during the day so it is difficult for them to find time to go into local schools.

I have been in numerous schools promoting the club, and we give free admisison to everyone under 16.

We already have curtain raisers involving local teams.

Yeah, I know all that, and I'm not saying it's not good. But structure your curtain raisers into a mini-World Cup, with groups and group finals and a last 8 knockout and you'd push the support out beyond those with offspring in the game on the day. At a nil cost except for the trophy. If your players really can't find an opening to go out there, then what about producing a DVD of tips and demos that any local school can have for free? Including footage of the barmy army and some team flags, plus details of how their lads can get to play on a real league ground at Cantilever Park and win their own World Cup - or EuroTrophy or whatever is hot in any year. Can't hurt, can it? You've got your own cameraman and DVDs are easy and cheap enough to burn....

Just a thought, based on the fact that the best way to anyone's wallet is via their kids! :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, I know all that, and I'm not saying it's not good. But structure your curtain raisers into a mini-World Cup, with groups and group finals and a last 8 knockout and you'd push the support out beyond those with offspring in the game on the day. At a nil cost except for the trophy. If your players really can't find an opening to go out there, then what about producing a DVD of tips and demos that any local school can have for free? Including footage of the barmy army and some team flags, plus details of how their lads can get to play on a real league ground at Cantilever Park and win their own World Cup - or EuroTrophy or whatever is hot in any year. Can't hurt, can it? You've got your own cameraman and DVDs are easy and cheap enough to burn....

Just a thought, based on the fact that the best way to anyone's wallet is via their kids! :lol::lol::lol:

LP, Unless it comes from under the soil, anything else would be too quick for the cameraman. :lol::P

LP, Unless it comes from under the soil, anything else would be too quick for the cameraman. :lol::P

Never upset a man with a shovel, Peter. Who'd think anything of him digging another hole :shock:

Getting back on topic :roll: there looked very little wrong from what I saw last night.

Great performance at Colwyn Bay and hopefully the blip is over and the team can push on - still 30 points to play for!

Could be a very interesting last home game of the season against top of the table Lancaster who are currently just one point ahead of Halifax!

A run of eight wins from the last 10 games could see Warrington achieve what many have been saying is an impossible dream.