Decline of British manufacturing

asperity

The article doesn't say very much of what we *manufacture* The only mention of anything worthwhile are turbine blades at Rolls Royce. If, as I suspect, he's including in the figures the bundles of worthless debt sold by spivs to mugs all over the world then yes, we aren't doing so badly. Exports indeed they are but useless to almost everybody. To qualify as exports things have to have nuts and bolts, bits of paper shouldn't be counted.

It seems that the UK manufacturing output is in decline for one reason or another, soon there will be nobody working in the UK, who will be able to buy any foreign imports, no matter how cheap it is!

I think any firm out-sourcing jobs from the UK to abroad should be accountable for large tax increases on there profits!

.........I think any firm out-sourcing jobs from the UK to abroad should be accountable for large tax increases on there profits!

Yes! tax increased to the point that makes out-sourced labour no cheaper than labour costs here in the UK.

If you feel so strongly about this, I hope you only buy goods and services that are made/based in Britain and have no foreign parts/input whatsoever. Either way you are asking for a massive increase in costs for yourselves because increased tax means increased price for the consumer. A bit obvious really :wink::wink:

Asperity, my point is that, It seems that the UK manufacturing output is in decline for one reason or another, soon there will be nobody working in the UK, who will be able to buy any foreign imports, no matter how cheap it is.

We should have a level playing field, the foriegn goods maybe cheaper,

but that is because some workers are being abused by being paid minimal amounts, no worker in this country could live on such a low wage and keep food on the table or a roof over their heads, never mind buying luxury or everyday items.

I myself drive a European car and watch programmes on my Asian made TV and type this email with an American piece of software, wearing a Middle East made fleece pullover.

Very good Sue, so whose profits are you going to tax? The owner of the Indian sweat shop? You can't because they are out of British jurisdiction. The Importer? Fine, he puts up the price of the goods to cover his tax loss. The way to become competitive in a global market place is to reduce your costs not increase the price. Making foreign imports more expensive in this country isn't going to raise the wages of the workers in India/Korea/Indonesia or wherever by a penny. :wink::wink:

Asperity, I would be happy to work for half the wages I am on now, if everything I purchased or paid for was also have price, for example Council Tax, Food, Mortgage, Fuel Bills, Clothes etc, etc.

I would also paid an extra penny or two to keep jobs in Britain, for example the shirts I used to buy from M&S used to be made in Britain and not so far away in this very town by Revelation Shirts and of very high quality, now they are made abroad and not to the same standards as they used to be. However I am not against foreign imports, I would just like to see a level playing field for all.

All I am saying is that the way this economy is going, they will be nobody employed or in business who can afford to buy anything from anywhere.

As for answers or solutions, I do not have any, I am just expressing my humble opinion.

:wink:

What! :shock: A dyed in the wool toga wearing liberal, commited to liberal free trade econoics - advocating protectionism?! :lol: Perhaps if we practised localism and protectionism. and only traded for those things we can't produce at home, we'd have a chance - but alas, the EU wouldn't let us do it. :twisted:

:wink:

Take a good look at the EU Obs they have been into protectionism for years, That is one of the reasons the UK wanted to be in the EU in the first place, frightened about being left out and loosing out. Free if your in the club, just try to bring something into the EU from the outside, its not free :wink:

The labour's free, it's been coming in from N/Africa and Afghanistan for years now! :lol: And while we're wondering why we're not competative: the EU Equality and HR Commission have just ruled that Maternity Leave Payments should be tripled - so loading buisinesses with a bill of ?billions - so making firms even less interested in staying here. :roll:

I don,t know whether we can live on financial services and non- jobs alone, but if we can, in someways the decline in manufacturing jobs would be no bad thing.

My dad used to describe Rylands and Monks Hall as hell-holes. Would a job at Corus be a pleasure? or down the pits.

Not a full argument I know, but just a thought.

Happy days

Also making firms less likely to employ women of child bearing age in the first place :wink::wink:

But not the public sector Asp..... they'll be queueing up to employ women of child bearing age after this one comes in just so they can bang on about how politically correct they all are...........

and don't forget that it is us the taxpayers that will foot the bill for their increased maternity commitments!

Both; unlike the competition, we're way behind on robotics and automation, assuming we had any industry in which to use it - our investment in R&D, and in vocational training (eg apprenticeships) is pityfull, and our education system has been dumbed down with mickey mouse degrees etc etc. :twisted: