Warrington v Wigan

Gary

On tonight's showing I think Warrington and Wigan are a good bet for the Grand Final.

Top game of Rugby league, shame Warrington didn't get that last gasp effort from Solomona.

Long way to go yet but these are the two best teams I have seen this season.

Yes, the game was exciting and had Briers not gone off injured Wire would have probably prevailed. In a previous post I didn't say Wire were boring just that the TV games I have watched recently certainly were. It would be interesting to ask Mr Smith his opinion of what's creeping into the game and that's the Wigan origin of what I call the *gang* tackle, that is to involve at least three defenders in the tackle to make a human pile and then take forever to allow the tackled player to play the ball by getting off the tackled player in sequence 3-2-1 to allow the defence plenty of time to organise itself and get onside. Some would call it gamesmanship but I prefer the more honest description....cheating. If spectators can see what's happening, why can't referees and the powers that be who run the game ? Perhaps in this week's video interview Gary can ask Mr Smith his opinion.

Yes, the game was exciting and had Briers not gone off injured Wire would have probably prevailed. In a previous post I didn't say Wire were boring just that the TV games I have watched recently certainly were. It would be interesting to ask Mr Smith his opinion of what's creeping into the game and that's the Wigan origin of what I call the *gang* tackle, that is to involve at least three defenders in the tackle to make a human pile and then take forever to allow the tackled player to play the ball by getting off the tackled player in sequence 3-2-1 to allow the defence plenty of time to organise itself and get onside. Some would call it gamesmanship but I prefer the more honest description....cheating. If spectators can see what's happening, why can't referees and the powers that be who run the game ? Perhaps in this week's video interview Gary can ask Mr Smith his opinion.

A couple of seasons back, they used to get penalised if they hadn't got off the player in about 3 seconds. It seems that no longer applies. :?

Great pics Gary... Girlie comment I know but I am only just starting to get into the Wolves and rugby (unlike the other two in my family) but aren't the players tough...not like wimpy namby pamby footy players who get paid a fortune :roll:

Might get myself a Wolves season ticket as not only are the games actually really good to watch now I understand it but they all have nice legs too 8)

But your pics have just given me a thought ..... be back in a sec :lol:

i think wire were robbed wigan were offside for most of the game and were hardly penalised,and this gang tackle should be banned it isnt very attractive rugby league sometimes there are four in the tackle and no way can they get back the ten metres before the ball is played so therefore they were offside and not penalised.

Wigan came to spoil, just like Huddersfield do, and take gamesmanship to a whole new level - or as "Safe" states quite correctly - cheating! Wigan got penalised a few times for it, but should have had a player binned to try and cut it out and allow a quicker play the ball. It's no coincidence that Wigan and Hudds are coached by young Aussie coaches and I hope this trend doesn't continue, because it will make for boring games totally dominated by cheating defensive tactics!

So how do you stop it - bring in a law saying a player can not be tackled by more than two players at any one time.

If three players are going into the tackle they must be leaving gaps out wide so it is up to the attacking team to try and play the ball as quickly as possible and get the ball out wide and through the holes.

What Wigan did slightly better than Warrington was soak up pressure and then hit a purple match at a telling point in the game.

Both teams gave their all and a draw would have probably been a fair result.

I don't feel down about the result because Warrington did their best and were unlucky.

I certainly feel it is a bit harsh to accuse Wigan of cheating.

wirewire, if it makes for boring games, what went wrong on Saturday?

It was an exciting game but you must have been frustrated by Wigan continually slowing down the play the ball - just think how much more exciting it would have been if this was penalised early doors!

And of course, this would have been to our advantage...........

So how do you stop it - bring in a law saying a player can not be tackled by more than two players at any one time.

If three players are going into the tackle they must be leaving gaps out wide so it is up to the attacking team to try and play the ball as quickly as possible and get the ball out wide and through the holes.

What Wigan did slightly better than Warrington was soak up pressure and then hit a purple match at a telling point in the game.

I don't feel down about the result because Warrington did their best and were unlucky.

I certainly feel it is a bit harsh to accuse Wigan of cheating.[/quote

Of course it's cheating.. It's impossible to play the ball quickly when you've got 50 stone of humanity lying on top of you for as long as they are allowed to get away with. It's a coaching inspired tactic and I'm not holding my breath for one coach to criticise another in the incestuous world of RL coaching.

I certainly feel it is a bit harsh to accuse Wigan of cheating.

Of course it's cheating.. It's impossible to play the ball quickly when you've got 50 stone of humanity lying on top of you for as long as they are allowed to get away with. It's a coaching inspired tactic and I'm not holding my breath for one coach to criticise another in the incestuous world of RL coaching.

Wigan were penalised quite heavily in the first half!

I certainly feel it is a bit harsh to accuse Wigan of cheating.[/quote

Totally agree. If in a football match a player dives to gain an advantageous over their rivals to say get a penalty, get a player sent off etc., is this just gamesmanship or cheating? To my mind, it's cheating, full stop. I don't see the difference - by lying on like Wigan do they are trying to gain an advantage over their opponents!

When NRL players come over to Super League, the first thing they say is that our game is quicker and more open than in Australia, and therefore is a more attarctive brand of rugby. Long may this continue I say, so stamp this lying on out now before it becomes endemic and all clubs start doing it and we end up with a slower game.