Boring tactics

safeway56

Having only taken in one game live(Harlequins) I've watched several games on TV and if anything I've seen so far via the TV is anything to go by we are in for an exceedingly boring period in the game's history. Most of the tries I've seen have been as a result of a dour struggle to get within a reasonable distance of the opponents try line and then followed by a high cross-field kick to the corner and then a high jump competition to catch the ball and fall over the try line. Crusaders scored no less than FOUR tries using this method against Salford. We almost signed the little fat guy Matt Orford who I watched playing for Bradford against Castleford last night and the commentators were waxing lyrical about his performance when all he was doing was standing in the line, passing behind a dummy runner or kicking the ball high in the air to the corners for the now familiar high jump. He's a one and a half trick pony. I'm thankful we signed Myler and not Orford. Orford made just one attempt at running with the ball in which he dropped the ball. As my grandad used to say*He'll get the game done away with*

If this is the way the game is going I'll have no problem walking away from it. No amount of orgasmic Sky TV commentators can convince me it's anything more than very boring.

Having only taken in one game live(Harlequins) I've watched several games on TV and if anything I've seen so far via the TV is anything to go by we are in for an exceedingly boring period in the game's history.

If it wasn't for the dedicated fans in the RL heartlands the game would die. If it wasn't for you, and the long departed Latch the Wolves forum would have died. All effort by the RL to sell the game has failed. By it's own rules Celtic Crusaders and Harlequins should not even be SL teams. My Sunday newspaper dedicated about half a page to this weekends games which is unusual because it normally doesn't get a mention, compared to the ott coverage of Union. For the one outstanding and exciting game of RL you get another 10 below average and boring games.

Once again last night in the game between Leeds and Melbourne we saw yet another example of the negative, Aussie originated tactics which will eventually ruin the game. The gang tackling and the taking of forever to play the ball. On the few occasions referee Silverwood penalised Melbourne the offenders quickly ran back into the defensive line without so much of a glance at the referee to ask why they had been penalised. They knew without asking just what they were being penalised for,which proves to me that the negativism is planned and coach inspired. The game is going backwards to what it developed into a few years ago...five drives and a kick but this time we are being treated to a wrestlathon. It isn't just me saying this, there were 28 thousand fans at the game last night and they showed their displeasure by booing almost all the match at what they were witnessing. Keith Senior could be in trouble for speaking his mind after the match but it's only what everybody else is thinking and saying. The game needs more voices...both players and spectators to say what they think.

I just hope Tony Smith won't develop tactics such as this..I'll be going back into exile once again if he does.

• 1 month later...

Now we have alot more rugby posters on here thought I would revive Safeway's moan about boring rugby.

I can remember seeing Wire beaten 1-0 at home by Workington in the late 70's on a freezing cold wet mud bath. Now that is what I would call boring! :roll:

Going back to the Leeds v Melbourne game, I agree with Safeway and would go even further by stating that I believe that we pandered to the wishes of the aussies with Silverwood's interpretation of the rules. I've seen him referee several times since then. He hasn't allowed the same tactics as were shown that night.

Huddersfield used the same tactics last year and Wigan have adopted them this time round. It's interesting that Nathan Brown, The Huddersfield Coach, has sprung to the defence of Michael Maguire of Wigan.

While Wire still possess players like Briers and Myler, we are not capable of 5 drives and a kick and I also think that Smith is an attack minded coach, although the defence has certainly tightened up this year, mainly because it needed to.

Yet another weekend of scintillating RL is drawing to a close. I have Sky TV mainly for the RL and I must say it's starting to be very poor value for money. Friday's match Hull v Wakefield was a borathon and when you think it can't get any worse along comes St Helens v Leeds. It was truly awful. There wasn't a try scored which was worthy of the description of entertaining. I switched the TV off 20 minutes from the end. Past games involving these two clubs were looked forward to as something of a feast of fast open football..not anymore they aren't The problem is that the game is being choked to death by the wrestling tactics and never ending biff bash. The traditional skills which we all grew up with have largely disappeared from the game. Only the thickest and the fittest will survive. I'm geting disillusioned with the whole lot and am now considering better things to do with my time at the weekends.

Yet another weekend of scintillating RL is drawing to a close. I have Sky TV mainly for the RL and I must say it's starting to be very poor value for money. Friday's match Hull v Wakefield was a borathon and when you think it can't get any worse along comes St Helens v Leeds. It was truly awful. There wasn't a try scored which was worthy of the description of entertaining. I switched the TV off 20 minutes from the end. Past games involving these two clubs were looked forward to as something of a feast of fast open football..not anymore they aren't The problem is that the game is being choked to death by the wrestling tactics and never ending biff bash. The traditional skills which we all grew up with have largely disappeared from the game. Only the thickest and the fittest will survive. I'm geting disillusioned with the whole lot and am now considering better things to do with my time at the weekends.

NRL games I've watched this weekend are much the same if not worse because the last tackle kicks are just a case of boot it anywhere

Come on now lets get real,I was brought up watching Wire in the 1960's the days of unlimited tackles and mud baths sometimes we look back with rose tinted spec's

So lets get down to HJ today and enjoy our summer rugby albeit with a few shortcomings and cheer Chris Riley on for another hatfull of tries