Council u-turn on ?550,000 cutbacks

Gary

Do you seriously believe these services have a reprieve?

The only time the Lib Dems appear to listen to public opinion is just prior to an election. once the election is over the unpopular items will probably be straight back on the agenda!

They've done this so frequently now and in so many different areas of the town is there really anybody gullible enough to actually believe what they say? :roll::roll::roll:

I'd suggest getting their teeth into cutting the gross wastage of public funds before cutting basic services!

For example.....the surplus primary school places within a two mile area of Stockton Heath alone have been costing/wasting circa 1/4 of a million ?s per year.

It would have made more sense to have reduced pupil numbers to a 1 form of entry rather than spend millions on building a new school with increased capacity. :roll:

Just how much is being wasted like this throughout the rest of the town???? :roll::roll::roll:

Another example of gross waste.....the employment of obscenely expensive consultants to effect the giving away of one of the towns finest assets, Walton Hall. :evil:

Are our councillors really all that useless that they couldn't plan and execute a simple improvement programme, including applying for external funds and grants, without having to pay ridiculous amounts on consultation fees??? and effectively 'give away' our heritage in the process????

I could go on..............

but it would probably be quicker to list the things they actually do cost effectively.

????????????????????????? :roll::roll::roll:

Paul,

I have to say that "have a go yourself" is not a very constructive comment IMHO....

Most people rightly have opinions about what they see as waste and where savings could be made but don't have either the time, drive or want to be a local councillor. Instead the people put their trust in people like you and the rest of the crowd at WBC to take those decisions and find the waste and mismanagement for them

The problem is that when people are finally elected to the council, they then have to toe the party line and follow what they are told, especially as a new boy/girl (just as happens in parliament) the wishes of the people/electorate are overidden by the need to keep the party in power and to keep party members on the lucrative committees. (just remember who upset your predecessor was to lose his 30k a year from all the chair positions he had before you beat him!)

The Tory/Lib Dem alliance now no doubt has their people as charmen of all the committees such as fire, police etc. and if that position were to be put under pressure by a maverick councillor doing or saying something which may be what the people want to see/hear he would soon be brought to book

That is why local councillors should be run by independants with no party politics playing a role.

With elections coming up in May Sha, will you be standing, and if not why not, you seem to have plenty to say on how to improve things, it would be great if you had the opportunity to put them in to practice. :wink:

And as one voice against 56 playing 'follow my leader' do you really think there'd be much opportunity to put them in to practise?

I think I can be a lot more effective as I am! :wink::lol::lol::lol:

Paul,

I have to say that "have a go yourself" is not a very constructive comment IMHO....

But the thing is Baz that for the system to be effective, we do need new people coming in to it. And with my comment I'm encouraging that. Sha has commented that "I think I can be a lot more effective as I am", but how effective is that and what has it achieved. My job. I think, is to try and encourage those who have opinions to take an active part in the democratic process.

And as one voice against 56 playing 'follow my leader' do you really think there'd be much opportunity to put them in to practise?

But why would you be one voice against 56, if your ideas are any good, sustainable and could stand up to scrutiny, they would be adopted. Personally I don't play "follow my leader", and it is rather a slur for you to suggest that I do.

In order to help you further, might I suggest that you put questions to Full Council, it would be a great opportunity for you to be heard. Your comment about Walton Hall would make a great question for you to ask.

[quote name="Paul Personally I don't play "follow my leader"' date=' and it is rather a slur for you to suggest that I do.

[/quote]

Sorry Paul, No offence was meant to you personally. It was merely an 'off the cuff' remark with regards to the party politics which you must admit does go on, which I personally feel is so destructive.

I actually believe that we do have some very good and committed councillors (of all parties) but due to the structure of the council they have a limited voice.

Also when they do have an opportunity to voice an opinion they can be swayed by party politics. I often feel that if the talents and abilities of the committed councillors were more fully utilised the town would be in better shape. I think that any problems we have may be due merely to the egos of one or two, but that is just my personal opinion.

Paul, with all due respect, think you'll find the comments from Baz and Shah are rather incisive; I recall you mentioning some form of crusade against fiscal waste etc - how far have you got? :? The other problem of course is, one man's waste, is another man's essential service - so you can't win. The broard fact is, that money (and thus power) has been gradually centralised - first in Westminister and now in Brussels (where the really big waste issues are - EG: regular movement of the whole EU Parliament from Brussels to Strasbourg and back! Then you've now got a whole range of PC/H&S jobs and limitations to ensure your hands are securely tied up in red tape, just to add to the inertia and lack of local initiative and possible innovation. So all in all, a depressing picture, which most non-anoracks have spotted and choose not to get involved in; thus leaving the way open to the careerists to toe the party line and claim their expenses etc. :cry: