Anyone know where Hill Cliffe Hydro was?

polly

Was dog walking around Delphfields Road, Appleton today and went past a new million pound development ( yet more footballers!) and we wondered was that where the original Hill Cliffe Hydro was built?

Has anyone got any info. I know that prior to the new house(castle!!) it was the site of a 1960s style bungalow that a lovely old man lived in until about 2 years ago when it was sold and demolished (he used to give my son mints when he delivered his paper!- unlike some of the other miseries!!)

Hill cliffe hydro was originally a mansion type house that became

a hotel, which was demolished in about the late 50,s. Some of the sandstone walls on Delphfields road apparently are part of the original house! In it's day it was the 'in place', the 50's equivalent of the wine bars!

Thanks for that Polly and Victor.

Never knew there was a hotel there but I was born in the 60's. To make matters worse I wasn't sure where Delphfields Road was but having just googled it I realise I drive down it every day :oops::lol:

Peter in answer to your question... there's two new houses for sale there at the moment for over the ?1 million mark .....I WISH I COULD PLAY FOOTBALL :cry::D

Saying that that I guess it's only pocket change for a footy 'star' eh :roll::evil:

[quote="Dismayed"

Peter in answer to your question... there's two new houses for sale there at the moment for over the ?1 million mark .....I WISH I COULD PLAY FOOTBALL ]

Sign of the times I guess. In the 50/60's, Lyons Lane used to be known as millionaire's road. I wonder how much those houses are worth now?

In fact the Hillcliffe Hydro Hotel was still operating in 1968 - and possibly for a few years later than that.

I recall there was quite a rumpus over plans for its demolition to make way for the housing estate on the right hand side of London Road as you go up the hill, approaching the junction with Delphfields Road on the right. A lot of people opposed the scheme and I think there was a public inquiry. But the developers, then as now, won in the end!

2,000 years before the Hillcliffe Hydro Hotel was built,the place was a spa used by the Roman Legions.The water was reported to have magical properties,so powerfull that the top centurions from Chester(Deva),would pay a years salary to be posted to Warrington so that they could bath in the Hillcliffe spa.To this day there are bottles of the water from Hillcliffe in the Rome museum.

Going back into my childhood my mother worked there as a cleaner while it was called the hydro hotel..however this would have been between 1975 and 1977 so it must have survived some while after the 60s' because it was during the time we lived near orford lane, which was between those dates. she used to bring me conkers home from the grounds.

Amazing fact about the Roman Spa! Garage is now full of 'Hill Cliffe spa Water' awaiting coaches to arrive at the weekend full of pilgrims! Son is now polishing the ice cream maker in anticipation of the arrivals and there's always room for someone to do the guided tours of the 'Hill Cliffe Mansions'.

{Souvenir shop will be situated on london road}

:lol::lol:

Think your onto a winner there Byrdy: Roman Legionaries bathing at Hill Cliff - the Yanks would love it! Perhaps you could get Indy to dig up a bar of soap or a sponge - and we're away! All the local shops could sell stuff with Roman themes and a resident guide dressed as a Roman would clinch it. Seems the Stockton Heath economy has a future - or is it a past?! :wink: