I don't Believe it- free laptops ??

kevofaz25

The Government is taking 270,000 applications from low-income families to supply free laptops and Free Broadband for 12 months to improve learning and skills.

How about paying for it all like everyone else and not using the free laptop to access Bingo.com all day??

Seems fecklessness can be rewarded after all...

The scheme is to try and address the fact that some kids live in homes where their parents can't afford broadband or a PC. Whether that's because they are genuinely poor or no-hopers wasting their dole in the boozer doesn't really matter. The point is that kids who are already disadvantaged are now being left even further behind because most homes do have internet access for learning resources. Even in primary schools, teachers are putting homework online and providing out of hours help via email.

Or we can forget it. Leave them to rot and then wonder why they end up on the dole, living in council-funded accom having babies at 15 or getting into trouble with the law.....

These kids have access to libraries (which are currently free to use); the fact they don't take advantage of this fact, is an indicator of the total absence of a culture of learning within such families - so giving free lap tops to them, is just like giving free lap tops to some Amazonian Indians - a total waste of time and money. As I've suggested on other threads, albeit tongue in cheek, the only way to break this cycle of ignorance is to literally take the kids out of an enviroment that perpetuates ignorance into one of learning - IE Eton or Harrow. :wink:

Reminds me of an issue close to my heart.

I recently bought my daughter a wireless lap top to help her with her school work. I also pay for the broadband.

A local businessman I deal with brings in his lads free lap top to use at work with a dongle, all supplied free by the school!

How can it be right that one local businessman has to pay ofr his daughter's educational needs and another gets free use of his son's school lap top!

The taxes I pay fund his free use!

Now I know there are some families who can not afford lap tops and need Government assistance to help them with their education - but this youngster has been to Disneyland in Florida with his family more times than me and my family!

:x:evil:

I remain to be convinced that the computer and internet access has any role to play in education. It has become too easy to access information on the web, which means kids don't LEARN anything other than how to find things on the web. The result is a sharp decline in general knowledge.

But if the Government MUST give away computers to hard up families, they should not give laptops. They are more expensive, less reliable and more prone to damage. I wonder what the average life of a laptop is, particularly when used by a child? Six months?

I remain to be convinced that the computer and internet access has any role to play in education. It has become too easy to access information on the web, which means kids don't LEARN anything other than how to find things on the web. The result is a sharp decline in general knowledge.

But if the Government MUST give away computers to hard up families, they should not give laptops. They are more expensive, less reliable and more prone to damage. I wonder what the average life of a laptop is, particularly when used by a child? Six months?

So when you access the internet you don't learn anything that you discover? What nonsense..... and as for laptops, yes a "proper PC (as opposed to a european MAC) is a better way, but why would a laptop not last a child? my lad has had his for 15 months now and he is only 8 and it still works fine.... mind you I had to pay for mine and as such he is more careful with it. I doubt very much that Dan the doleys kids will be as caring, particularly when they can probably get a replacement FOC as well as they are not likely to have contents insurance are they??

Baz. I congratulate you on the way you have brought up your lad if he has used his laptop for 15 months without damaging it. He is obviously one in a million.

As to whether you learn much from the web, I can only speak from personal experience when I say that information definitely doesn't "sink in" for me as well from the web as it does from a reference book. I think there is also a tendency to think: "I can always look it up again" because it is so easy and quick (and cheap).

I also believe standards of general knowledge have fallen since the computer age dawned and that there may be a connection.

And, of course, in education, it has made it that much more easy to cheat!

Careful Obs or you will join the list of Dis, trojan and myself (3 times ) to have their post deleted.

GET OVER IT WOLFIE ! :lol:

I can delete your posts - I can edit your posts and I can even ban you if I so choose.

Surprisingly you and your Trojan friend and a couple of your other identities are the only ones I have any issues with! I wonder why? :roll:

GARY - the guy who pays for this facility! :twisted: