Cell block Vote?

observer

This debate was on Radio Manchester this morning.

What I don't understand, is why these people in prison should have the same rights as those outside.

They are criminals who are paying a debt to society. they choose to be there, and should see it as a punishment and loss of normal things that they get on the outside. NO!

I'd like to say NO as they have rescinded (if that's the right word) all their RIGHTS as they have been found guilty of a crime...

but having looked at the criteria for who is eligable to vote they might as well be allowed to :?

Qualifying Commonwealth citizen

Qualifying Commonwealth citizens are Commonwealth citizens resident in the UK who are entitled to register to vote provided that they also fulfil the age requirement for registration and are not subject to any other legal incapacity. Citizens of the following countries meet the nationality criteria to register in respect of all elections:

Antigua and Barbuda

Australia

The Bahamas

Bangladesh

Barbados

Belize

Botswana

Brunei Darussalam

Cameroon

Canada

Cyprus*

Dominica

Fiji Islands**

The Gambia

Ghana

Grenada

Guyana

India

Jamaica

Kenya

Kiribati

Lesotho

Malawi

Malaysia

Maldives

Malta*

Mauritius

Mozambique

Namibia

Nauru

New Zealand

Nigeria

Pakistan

Papua New Guinea

St Kitts and Nevis

St Lucia

St Vincent and the

Grenadines

Samoa

Seychelles

Sierra Leone

Singapore

Solomon Islands

South Africa

Sri Lanka

Swaziland

Tonga

Trinidad and Tobago

Tuvalu

Uganda

United Kingdom

United Republic of Tanzania

Vanuatu

Zambia

Zimbabwe**

*Although also EU member states, citizens of Cyprus and Malta are eligible to be registered to vote in respect of all elections held in the UK.

**Citizens of Fiji and Zimbabwe retain their voting rights despite Fiji being currently suspended from the Commonwealth and Zimbabwe having withdrawn from the Commonwealth in 2003. The voting rights are laid out in the British Nationality Act 1981 and are not affected by subsequent circumstances; they could only be altered by an Act of the UK Parliament.

Well, I find it difficult to believe Diz, but your research would appear to prove, if proof were needed, just what a joke they,ve turned this once great Nation into. :twisted:

I couldn't believe it either Obs when I looked and I hoped you would correct me and say I was looking at the wrong info ... shocking eh :roll:

I like Asp's idea though :lol::wink:

Unfortunately, we have two main political Parties so wrapped up in winning electoral power, but without the intellectual capacity to use that power; that they will resort to any electoral massaging to get it - recall Maggie enfranchising the ex-Pats; now New Labour are trying to use the prison population and immigrants to get them elected - it's rather pathetic. Nowadays we are plagued with self seeking politicians interested only in party advantage and career; without statesmen who have the national interest at heart and are capable of the long term view. :twisted:

Yes, and no doubt at the same time as they get the vote the polling stations will be the local pubs......and they'll probably get a pint at the taxpayers expense.......just so's they don't feel disincluded! What a flaming farce this country is turning into! :roll::roll::roll:

how would this one work then. if you are a "native" of Warrington but have been convicted in Scotland and are serving your sentence there. do you have a vote in the Scottish elections or the English elections.

more to the point who will pay the expenses for our canvassers to visit the prospective voters :shock:8)