Boss sacks smokers

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not stupid at all; merely an extension of the non-smoker arguement that smoke affects others; just as germs from some inconsiderate sneezer do. :roll: And we can go on if we're talking passive smoking, to include passive drinking IE: getting beat up or killed by some drunken driver. :roll: All that's happened with this pathetic law; is that one set of folk have stopped using pubs/clubs; but havn't been replaced by those that were doing the moaning - :roll:

Obs you've destroyed your argument about sneezing - are you telling me that smokers are healthier - behave think about all the germs they also cough out with their flem and tar - the impact of passive smoking like asthma attacks I know because I used to get them and now I don't not to mention the fact that it triggers cancer and the sad knowledge that takes years to develop i.e. some will already have it from times gone by but they are yet to feel it and realise the it's impact. :( At least you can go to a pub and not come back stinking of smoke.

[ 13.01.2008, 14:33: Message edited by: Student Geoff ]

Are you that desperate that you feel the need to repeat a point you have already made; rather a point that wolfie made, or are we moving into playground antics?

This argument/difference of opinion will never conclude to everyone's satisfaction but you seem to be clutching at straws.

[ 13.01.2008, 17:29: Message edited by: Eagle ]

I think you know who "they" are Geoff. The Government, of whatever persuasion, would much prefer it if us plebs would work up to our 65th birthday and then shrug off the mortal coil the very next day. Any talk of wanting us to have long and happy retirements is just that - talk. :bluegrab: :bluegrab:

Hold on what about the

. Actuaries getting their calculations wrong

. Pensioners living much longer

. Most pension scheme is now top heavy with the oldies and not enough youngsters paying in and the percentage of youngsters is expected to fall even further

. The stock market fluctuations that fund the pension schemes have not lived up to expectations

. The improved medical care and research has helped us live longer; and of course

. Everyone now sees the futility of smoking so give up and live a healthier longer life - hopefully.

Are you really saying that we should all take up the weed so that we catch fatal disease in order to resolve the issue - now that's a bit radical even for you?

Originally posted by Peter:

Originally posted by Dismayed:

As for fox hunting.. never done it and would never want to but my cousin took it up as a 'sport' and we had endless arguments about it! It's completely barbaric !!

At the end of the day, it's about emotion.

It's amazing how your views and emotions change as you go through the years.

Isn't life barbaric?

Isn't it barbaric to farm cows,pigs and sheep? Hens, turkeys geese? Fish?

The thing is, there is not a lot of difference between slaughtering any of these. Just because some see fox-hunting as a country sport

(conveniently forgetting the reason behind it)it is still slaughter.

So to ban cruelty altogether, what do people suggest we eat? Grass?

I watched a Jamie Oliver prog last night about chickens/hens.

i was amused as I watched the faces of the audience when they realised how their eggs and chickens reached the table. The disappointing thing for me, was the way the farmers were working for a pittance.

This should really be another topic, but when you consider how the population is expanding so rapidly, and that this population needs feeding, how is this supposed to happen. Can people be fed by keeping a few chickens down the garden, or is mass production the only way?

Of course you are right Peter and I believe the Jamie Oliver programe was a bit of an eye opener but a slightly different issue regarding foxes and fox hunting as we don't actually 'eat' foxes do we..... :wink::P

Its actually an average of about ?8.00 a day over the time I have given up. The money has gone on a trip to Euro Disney every year for my little lad as well as being able to move to a bigger house etc etc Plus when you see that in places like Gibraltar as I said before, 200 Pall Mall fags cost about the same as 20 Pall Mall do in ASDA it makes you realise just how dear it is.

Plus I can now legally call myself a non-smoker for insurance purposes!

In all seriousness though, I have put weight on but I do go to the gym and I do feel a lot better in myself. I do try not to be too self righteous but as an ex smoker, I find it hard to understand why everyone doesn't want to give up. I find it hard that my own wife and 21 year old son still smoke so if my wife ever does give up we'll be even better off!

I know it is hard but the plus points outway the negatives and if this smoking ban lets others enjoy a smoke free life then surely that is a good thing?

Freedom of choice is quite a big thing and I understand that but if you think that our kids emulate their parents in a lot of things they do (my dad smoked and I just nicked some of his when I started) then if mum & dad don't smoke that is a good helping hand

Good luck to you all!!

Baz#

[ 13.01.2008, 22:21: Message edited by: BazJ ]

Originally posted by Student Geoff:

Hold on what about the

. Actuaries getting their calculations wrong

. Pensioners living much longer

. Most pension scheme is now top heavy with the oldies and not enough youngsters paying in and the percentage of youngsters is expected to fall even further

. The stock market fluctuations that fund the pension schemes have not lived up to expectations

. The improved medical care and research has helped us live longer; and of course

. Everyone now sees the futility of smoking so give up and live a healthier longer life - hopefully.

Are you really saying that we should all take up the weed so that we catch fatal disease in order to resolve the issue - now that's a bit radical even for you?

Geoff,

As I recall, Chancellor Brown destroyed Company Pensions, when he stole from them.

Creating an impossible situation. Did he do it to pay for the Iraq war, or to force the population to work into their 70's?

As someone who packed in smoking 22 years ago, I still cannot understand why a compromise could not have been reached over the smoking in pubs issue. E.G. Smoking and non smoking pubs. Smoking will die a death eventually without any interference from politicians. :roll::roll: