Will music survive or will it die?

Sue Durnim

Where has all the original music/musicians/singer song, writers gone?

The music of today sounds like it is mimicking music from the past.

For example, James Morrison sounds like Stevie Wonder, Jamie Cullum sounds like Billy Joel, Oasis sounds like the Slade/Beatles, Jos Stone just sounds terrible, Hip-Hop is all the same words, same beat, same video. Take That to West Life are just glorified Stars in their Eyes contestants who sing other people songs.

50?s, 60?s 70?s and 80?s had distinct types of music, from rock and roll to punk to the new romantics, these era?s had original and ground breaking bands, solo artists and singer song writers.

The music from the 90?s to the present day, seems to have lost its way, with a few exceptions, I think what this music generation needs now is a ?Punk Type? revolution, evolution, sadly I can not see or hear any evidence of ground breaking music to make this generation a mimic of what has gone before.

Does anyone agree?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I have some sympathy with what you say, my own view is that popular music died sometime in the 40s.

Music does not have to be "ground breaking" to be good, it simply has to be, well, good. Sadly, very little is these days.

And to suggest that we need something like punk is ridiculous. Punk came rather too late to kill music, but it certainly didn't revive it.

Where has all the original music/musicians/singer song, writers gone?

The music of today sounds like it is mimicking music from the past.

For example, James Morrison sounds like Stevie Wonder, Jamie Cullum sounds like Billy Joel, Oasis sounds like the Slade/Beatles, Jos Stone just sounds terrible, Hip-Hop is all the same words, same beat, same video. Take That to West Life are just glorified Stars in their Eyes contestants who sing other people songs.50?s, 60?s 70?s and 80?s had distinct types of music, from rock and roll to punk to the new romantics, these era?s had original and ground breaking bands, solo artists and singer song writers.

The music from the 90?s to the present day, seems to have lost its way, with a few exceptions, I think what this music generation needs now is a ?Punk Type? revolution, evolution, sadly I can not see or hear any evidence of ground breaking music to make this generation a mimic of what has gone before.

Does anyone agree?

Take That sing the songs of others. Ever heard of the fat lad from Frodsham who is the leader of the band? He's one of Britain's finest songwriters up there with Macca and the likes.

I agree that present day music is in a hole. I present 4 quizzes a week and have to include a couple of tracks from the charts which is full of absolute dross. Let's hope there are some young kids with guitars raising hell in a garage somewhere writting songs which you can whistle..That's the yardstick...if you can't whistle it it aint music.

While I have some sympathy with what you say, my own view is that popular music died sometime in the 40s.

Music does not have to be "ground breaking" to be good, it simply has to be, well, good. Sadly, very little is these days.

And to suggest that we need something like punk is ridiculous. Punk came rather too late to kill music, but it certainly didn't revive it.

Sorry Adam, I missed out the 40?s,

but you get the idea, when I say ?punk type? I mean in the way that the present popular music needs a knock or a push to give new life or direct it in another way, which way, I do not know, the only way to hear decent music I feel is to revive my 45?s on my MP3 player. I am not against artists doing cover versions, but I would rather listen to the original versions of the songs, for example, on the TV or radio you hear people giving credit to the hit song ?first cut is the deepest? to Rod Stewart when it was originally written and sung by Cat Stevens, there many examples like this where the credit is being given incorrectly to other artists.

Take That sing the songs of others. Ever heard of the fat lad from Frodsham who is the leader of the band? He's one of Britain's finest songwriters up there with Macca and the likes.

I agree that present day music is in a hole. I present 4 quizzes a week and have to include a couple of tracks from the charts which is full of absolute dross. Let's hope there are some young kids with guitars raising hell in a garage somewhere writting songs which you can whistle..That's the yardstick...if you can't whistle it it aint music.

Safeway56, I agree, if you can?t whistle, I am no fan or expert of Take That, but having listen to one or two of their tracks on the radio, their songs mostly consist of a couple of uninspired words and then a chorus after chorus repeated endlessly throughout the entire song, boring and irritating, not really ?proper? song writing? Comparing the lad from Frodsham with the great Macca, is an insult to a true musician, singer, song-writer and composer, Paul McCartney.

Welcome to the forum Sue and an interesting topic for starters! :D

Personally as long as Status Quo keep rocking all over the world music will be alive and kicking. :D

Status Quo, an iconic band, excellent guitar riffs, if they could play more than 3 chords they would be even better! :wink:

You mean you have not got in search of the 4th chord in your Quo collection - they found it! :lol::wink:

You mean you have not got in search of the 4th chord in your Quo collection - they found it! :lol::wink:

Going back to my original question, and iconic bands such as The Quo,

as soon as they play a chord you know that it is Quo playing, bands of today are missing that individual presence. Obviously Status Quo have had a lot of hits, but my favourite song of theirs is 'Living on a island - 1979?) 8)

Going back to my original question, and iconic bands such as The Quo,

as soon as they play a chord you know that it is Quo playing, bands of today are missing that individual presence. Obviously Status Quo have had a lot of hits, but my favourite song of theirs is 'Living on a island - 1979?) 8)

Nice song but a bit tame for me - More into Down Down, Caroline, Rockin all over the World, Paper Plane, Big Fat Mama, Roll over Lay Down e.t.c

I go an see them live every year (twice last year) and even my eldest teenage duaghter and her boyfriend are Quooooooooooo fans!

They will go on and on and on again!

To be sung quo style! :lol:

There is no better intro then 'Layla'.......... or 'Shaking all Over'.....or 'Move it' or.......or 'Proud Mary'......or :lol:

Good choice Eagle,how about Cozy Powell, 'Dance with the Devil', Black Sabbaths - Paranoid or even The Faces 'Stay with me' or the 'Ace of Spades' by Motorhead...too many excellent intro's to choose from, all iconic sounds.

Comparing the lad from Frodsham with the great Macca, is an insult to a true musician, singer, song-writer and composer, Paul McCartney.

Can't think of anything worth listening to by 'Macca' since the Beatles broke up. The assistance of John Lennon made him great.

'Band on the run', 'Simply having a wonderful Christmas time' and 'Silly love songs' are an insult to a true song writer. :roll:

I really really really don't like Paul McCartney :?

Anyway the was I see it...

...music will never die as long as we all have something that we enjoy listening too, singing along with, relaxing too or even playing the air guitar with :D

Comparing the lad from Frodsham with the great Macca, is an insult to a true musician, singer, song-writer and composer, Paul McCartney.

Can't think of anything worth listening to by 'Macca' since the Beatles broke up. The assistance of John Lennon made him great.

'Band on the run', 'Simply having a wonderful Christmas time' and 'Silly love songs' are an insult to a true song writer. :roll:

Quite a lot of people liked "Mull of Kintyre" though.... :wink:

Wolfie, Dismayed, Eagle and LymmParent...

Excuse the pun, but you are going off track, likes or dislikes about ?Macca? is not really the question, it is more about the bands and solo artists of the present day, is there anyone currently to compare from past era?s of pop music, the music I feel has lost it?s way, no real substance to the lyrics, which come over as contrived, patronizing and repeatative eg. Songs from Take That. Do you think the music of today needs a kick to put in another direction, otherwise will Hip-Hop take over?, what we need is the Next factor not the X factor?

Sorry didn't realise I was going off completely off track.... :oops:

I was answering the question posed by the topic title 'Will music survive or will it die'

hence my other reply of

...music will never die as long as we all have something that we enjoy listening too, singing along with, relaxing too or even playing the air guitar with :D

I think there's a lot of good music/artists around these days although like you say wether they will be remembered in 5 or 10 years time remains to be seen...... but does that really matter ?

Wolfie, you haven't mentioned the frog chorus or the ***kin Tyre.

How did I forget the frog chorus???? :?:?:?

I didn't mention ***kin tyre because I quite like it :shock: but seeing that it wasn't Macca who wrote it, it doesn't count :wink:

Wolfie, a little piece of trivia for you.

"Mull of Kintyre" is a popular 1977 song by Paul McCartney and his band Wings. The song was written by McCartney and bandmate Denny Laine in tribute to the picturesque Kintyre peninsula in Argyll and Bute, Scotland, where McCartney had owned a home and recording studio since the late 1960s, and its headland or "mull".

From Wikipedia

I'm no Macca fan either, but "Mull of Kintyre" was a bit noteworthy... :wink: