free IT courses in Warrington!!!just started

polly

Hi there

I am new on the site but thought members should be aware there

are various IT courses to suit everyone at all levels, just started at various places all over warrington (free !!)(day and evening) Not many people seem to be aware they exist (they started this week) so if you are interested check out the priestly college website (adult learners courses) and it will give you all the info and phone numbers!

I am grateful of any help with my sadly lacking IT skills (especially free!) :wink:

Hi there

I am new on the site but thought members should be aware there

are various IT courses to suit everyone at all levels, just started at various places all over warrington (free !!)(day and evening) Not many people seem to be aware they exist (they started this week) so if you are interested check out the priestly college website (adult learners courses) and it will give you all the info and phone numbers!

I am grateful of any help with my sadly lacking IT skills (especially free!) :wink:

Perhaps if those running them advertised them a bit better? :roll::wink:

Beginners IT courses advertised on the web.

Makes almost as much sense as an advert I heard on the radio the other day - for hearing aids!

I think most beginners can manage to surf the internet! :roll::wink:

That's the trouble with today's generation. They don't realise that computers are strange to the middle-aged plus, and that they weren't part of their growing up.

So a little more tolerance and less cynicism please. :roll:

Gary is right in a way.... many beginners do manage to surf the net but usually with help from friends/family or by using local libtaries etc where help is on hand etc. But of course there's other uses for computers than just the internet :wink:

Courses like the ones available give some people the confidence to go that bit further with a bit more help and to reaslise that computers aren't really that scarey after all. :wink:

Can only see 'positives' from such courses myself as everyone on them will be at a similar level so no embarrasment factor (not that there should be any anyway :wink: ).... and as they are free it's even better. :D

Perhaps the idea was for the technologically able to pass on the idea by word of mouth to their Luddite mates? :lol:

Actually the vast majority are not luddites LP.. :roll: they are simply people who for various reasons may have not had the opportunity or reason to have ever used a computer and the thought of using them fills them with dread.

Did'nt realise my post would instigate such debate! I myself am probably a 'Luddite' and have happily gone through life managing with the basic IT skills I needed (or asking the kids!), it was'nt imperative for my job (field sales) but unfortunately redundancy kicked in and i found myself virtually unemployable! I would take any

help i could get to improve my skills (especially free!) and there are so many people similar to me around. the problem seems to be that a lot of IT course are aimed at the young unemployed and it is us 'older luddites' that want to go on them! Perhaps it might be an idea instead of 'kiss a hoodie' then to 'teach an oldie'. Give me the old days when the most technical thing i had to do was to programme the video!! :wink:

:shock: Programming video recorders.. the bain of my life too :lol:

Great that you took the wobbly steps into the world of the computer Polly and seems like you found your footing :wink:

Hope that many more people follow in your footsteps and enrol on the courses :wink:

I have taught many people myself over the years who, for whatever reason, were not confident enough to enrol on actual college courses.... which seems a shame really as there is also the social aspect of learning in a group :wink:

Put t'kettle on polly cock. :wink:

Some years ago now I went on one of these college courses. At the begining I used to try and scribble on the monitor screen in temper with the mouse, when I couldn't do something.

I didn't need it in my work, but they finally got me through IBT I, II,and III all in the first attempts. and yes, these courses do open up a whole new world. The only quible I would have is that continually using a keyboard for everything that I now do, plays havoc with your actual handwriting. :wink:

Well, if, for example, Polly were involved in organising the courses and the courses were paid for or funded by an organisation, such as the council or the colleges or the OU or Lottery money or a Government initiative, then although the courses are free to students, there is still a financial motive for advertising them. Create demand, show takeup and secure your future earnings. What better way than to join a Forum and spread the word...

Not that I am suggesting that's the case here. Polly may just be someone who happened to join the Forum and notice the courses at the same time. Nor would I mind such free advertising as long as the product is a good one. Same thing as the 2 for 1 meal deal.....

Of cource there will be probably be some form of financial motivation (probably via a loacal council target tick box funded by a government target tick box) or maybe job motivation from somewhere (probably via college....hoping to keep funding from the council/government to allow tutors to keep their jobs etc etc )..

...but as long as the course is free to the taker at least something is being given back in return and some people will benefit :wink:

I have no problem at all with Polly's informative post about free IT courses...

...BUT what I do have a problem with though is people like you who for some reason will not let things go and hold on to past comments and use them as a form of weapon or punishment when it suits :evil:

:lol::lol::lol::P:wink::lol: I'll never live it down eh :lol:

Well!!!!! Looks like I put the cat among the pigeons!!. I don't work for any one at the moment (unfortunately) so i had no hidden agenda by placing the info on the site and definitely no financial gain!(If only..), apart from the fact that if enough people did'nt enrol the courses would'nt run and that meant I could'nt learn anything.

I also found that from a personal level it was really hard to find out what and where any course ran,apart from the usual college courses that suited younger learners!(who wants to be in the same class as your son or daughter- can't think of anything more cringe worthy for us both!) I have started a couple of the courses and am really enjoying them although I have a lot to learn! In fact I have just noticed a tiling course that is running- so give me a couple of months and who knows!!!fancy a nice mosaic in the bathroom? :)

Polly... where's the tiling course and how much is it? Might be worthwhile doing before I attempt to do my kitchen and bathroom :shock:

Thought about learning basic bricklaying too any ideas?

Just tried to search the local college websites but the search pages just freeze... maybe they don't want me to join :shock::lol:

Polly... where's the tiling course and how much is it? Might be worthwhile doing before I attempt to do my kitchen and bathroom :shock:

Thought about learning basic bricklaying too any ideas?

Just tried to search the local college websites but the search pages just freeze... maybe they don't want me to join :shock::lol:

They used to do those courses at Winwick Collegiate. I don't know whether they do them now, since they have gone a la posh and called themselves a Uni. :shock:

Hi Dismayed

I spotted the tiling course in the Warrington Guardian (Think it may have been in the jobs(?) section . It it a two week full time course

run by a training agency in Woolston , but you have to be unemployed to go on it (although you dont have to be claiming benefits). I think the idea is to get people to go self employed afterwards. It runs every two weeks and there tends to be about 10 on each course, mainly all of an older age!

It really is difficult to find out what course are on and where - although I am searching for a course that involves" How to get very rich with minimum effort", although I guess the people running these are either at her majesty's pleasure or in Marbella! :P