• More efficient
    • Less efficient
    • No difference
    • Don't know

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.warrington.gov.uk/Environmentandplanning/Recyclingrubbishandwaste/Bulky_Waste.aspx#4

It seems that Warrington probably is more efficient than the example you describe, in so much that I don't think it collects TVs , but rather has collection points for that and other items covered by the WEEE Directive. :wink::)

http://www.warrington.gov.uk/wastemanagement/Electrical_Equipment.aspx

Yep electrical stuff like TV's, hoovers, pc's etc etc can all be dropped off at out the local friendly tip in Stockton Heath ... pitty the bloody council now want to CLOSE IT along with Woolston tip to save themselves a bit more cash !!!!

Larger items such as Fridges/Freezers have to be taken to Gateworth Tip though.. but watch out for the grumpy jobsworth there though as he can be rather rude especially if you need the barriere opening :evil::roll:

Having recently bought a new TV, I specifically checked that the shop would dispose of my old one BEFORE commiting to the purchase. :? No doubt it will eventually find it's way to China or Africa, where, having stripped it of useable parts it will be burned on an open tip, releasing it's carbon load to be blown by the wind, back to the UK. :wink: There used to be a recycling company at the old college in Long Lane (part funded by the Council); that used to collect white goods and cannibalise them into working units for cheap re-sale; they actually EMPLOYED youngsters in learning new skills and got them into a routine of getting out of bed before 9am! :shock:

Yep electrical stuff like TV's, hoovers, pc's etc etc can all be dropped off at out the local friendly tip in Stockton Heath ... pitty the bloody council now want to CLOSE IT along with Woolston tip to save themselves a bit more cash !!!!

That's the Lib Dems for you, the Tories have a plan to try and save it, it is a good local facility. :wink::D

PS I understand that residents in the immediate vicinity want it closed...but it makes you wonder what might happen with the land if it is closed. :wink:

Couldn't agree more ! Why would anyone buy a retirement home then complain about something that is already there? None of the other residents seem to have ever moaned about it being there :roll:

Anyway they are out numbered as I've not spoken to one person who thinks closing Stockton Heath and Woolston tips and making everyone drive accross town is a good idea. It's rattled a lot of people and going on the report in the WG today the people living near Gateworth Tip aren't too pleased about the plans either :wink:

Never mind the council have to run a consultation 'stage' yet :shock::?

That's the Lib Dems for you, the Tories have a plan to try and save it, it is a good local facility. :wink::D

PS I understand that residents in the immediate vicinity want it closed...but it makes you wonder what might happen with the land if it is closed. :wink:

Paul forgive me for this BUT.... what plans have the Conservatives got to 'try' and save the tips from closure :?

Reason I ask is that....

point 30 to redirect all waste to Gateworth and close the other two recycling centres contained in the money saving document titled 'A Consultation Paper -

The council's spending plans for 2010/11 to 2012/13

Focusing on our priorities has been put forward by both Ian Marks (LD) and Keith Bland (CON) - joint administration :roll::lol:

It also states that 'further statutory or public consultation will be required before the proposal will be implemented

Surely this is not just a point scoring excercise by either/both sides to appease people of the north and south when the decision to close is revolked... oooh cynical old me :lol::wink:

Why would anyone buy a retirement home then complain about something that is already there?

Because it's there. If it wasn't there, they'd complain about its absence. Old people moan about everything. We've got a couple on here who moan about the fact that kids don't have to walk fifteen miles to school barefoot and carrying sacks of coal. It's in the job description for OAP that you have to complain. Just under the paragraph that explains how to smell like an old person, and just above the section on how to make young people hate you. :lol:

Not biting, just got my halo on today and sticking up for some fogies who have to put up with insults from yuppie type Lymmites. :P

LP, do you post on another forum?

YUPPIE? Hahahahahahaha!! Chance would be a fine thing! Upwardly mobile, me? Not until the last anklebiter leaves education, Peter!

No, I don't post on any other chat forum. I ended up on this one more or less by accident because I got so cross about the uniform nonsense. And why would I need to go elsewhere when you are all here? Or were you just wishing.... :shock:

I think they should be creating jobs not axing them

Absolute rubbish, jobs should not be CREATED, if a job is needed it will be done ,if it isn't needed creating it is totally pointless.

The fact that jobs are created at the whim of some overpaid chief this or deputy that is the reason that most Councils are in the sh!te.

So you really think that public services are operating to adequate standards? and you can't see any area which couldn't be improved by expansion or more manpower?

Well actually I can! Year on year since Titch Thatcher started the trend, public services have been continually cut back. We've now got to the point where we've hardly got the basics!

and if you want a clear example of cutting on the basics go look for a public loo! (attendants have long been extinct!)

How many community centres, youth clubs, etc have been closed or had funds cut to such a level that they barely operate?

I could think of countless areas where extra manpower could improve 'quality of life' but that's not important in today's grasping world is it?

Job creation could be used in certain areas to solve or at least alleviate some of the social problems we have. Improve the enviroment etc etc etc.

It could be used to drastically cut unemployment. What's the point of supporting people to be unemployed when creating part time jobs to supply some kind of meaningful occupation would only cost the same?

David Bellamy once proposed a type of community youth force as a form of job creation for the young unemployed. It would have benefitted the kids doing it as well as the general community, unfortunately the 'powers that be' never took up the idea. :roll:

Now surely that would have been better than having kids hanging around the streets drinking themselves senseless and beating up passers by! :evil: