Cadburys

Egbert

Would the Great British Public have paid double per bar to keep it British? Would the GBP have voted immediately for sale to Satan himself if it meant the price of a twirl came down by 10p?

No point criticising people for selling their own property at the best price. They'd have got nothing from us in return for staying British.

Well they did it with the Banks and the Railways when they collapsed; making the private sector a win if they win, win if they fail scenario. Not that chocolate is an essential national asset, but a windfall tax might be appropriate?! :wink:

Can't see them nationalising Dairy Milk, Obs..... and if they did, within three years it would be unaffordable or inedible or both!! :lol:

I'm not surprised, Obs, but there was a great deal of patriotic flag waving when the first offer was made.

I am, of course, not The Great British Public, but I probably won't go out of my way to buy Cadbury in future, adding them to my blacklist of companies, etc, which I do not purchase from and which includes BMW, Toyota, Tesco and anything French!

I don't dislike chocolate, but it's hardly an essential survivival item is it? The Q. is with this issue, leaving aside the sentiment, that the so-called free-market global economy allows the bigger fish to swallow up the minnows in this global game of monopoly - the problem is, that many (like France) Countries have laws to protect their national interests, whilst at the same time buying up British Companies, asset stripping them, and moving production to cheaper labour markets - such are the joys of capitalism. :shock:

I see that some seem to have done well from the deal:

"The chief executive of Cadbury stands to pocket cash and shares worth ?12m from the company's ?11.9bn sale to the American food giant Kraft in a deal that also hands fees of at least ?250m to legions of City advisers.

The scale of the payments for Todd Stitzer contrasts sharply with the uncertainty faced by thousands of Cadbury factory workers, after the group's chairman Roger Carr admitted he had put shareholders first and job losses were inevitable."

Daily Mail & other papers.

I also read today that the treasury stands to lose millions in tax revenues as Krafts accountants use their usual nouse to lessen the burden of tax in foreign countries which they have done with all previous aquisitions. Add to that the fact that any job losses will attract unemployment and other benefits, it isn't a good day for the UK!

For once, I also listened to Clegge today at PMQ's and he reckoned that the RBS were intent on lending Kraft a good few million/billion to help fund the takeover and thereby putting UK workers on the dole.

If indeed it is true, it is a sad day when a bank bailed out by UK taxpayers money lends to a forein company to help wipe out 100 years+ of British tradition while refusing to lend to UK businesses in the process...... you couldn't make it up!

• 2 weeks later...