Time for a UN Emergency Service?

observer

"We have to reflect about a better instrument for reaction," says Herman Van Rompuy. The EU should consider a "humanitarian rapid reaction force", he said.

In fact, the EU set up a "Rapid Reaction Mechanism" in 2001, under Council Regulation (EC) No 381/2001 ? with the intention of dealing with precisely the eventualities that Rompuy is setting out, and which so lamentably failed in the 2004 Tsunami and again in Haiti.

In fact, the initiative goes way back to the European Council meeting in Helsinki on 10 and 11 December 1999, when the member state leaders gathered to discuss the European Union's "non-military crisis-management capability."

More than ten years on and we are no further forward than we were then ? countless reports and study groups have been commissioned, there have been countless meetings, working groups and conferences, with millions of euros having been spent. Yet, when the chips are down, the EU is nowhere to be seen.

All mouth and no trousers as the saying goes :wink::wink::wink::wink:

Paper exercises that sound good but achieve nothing. Bliar an Brown have been doing it for years.

How many new laws have this lot brought in that cannot be policed.

EU is that big, it loses itself in its own anatomy.

There are times when small is beautiful, and big is not always best.

As I said in the previous post, and I requote:-

In fact, the EU set up a "Rapid Reaction Mechanism" in 2001, under Council Regulation (EC) No 381/2001 ? with the intention of dealing with precisely the eventualities that Rompuy is setting out, and which so lamentably failed in the 2004 Tsunami and again in Haiti.

So stop trying to set up a smokescreen to hide the shortcomings of your beloved EUSSR :wink::wink:

Their is another link on the page, detailing aid

No, it details money "promised" as a result of more meetings. As the EU hasn't delivered on the aid promised after the tsunami I would expect the same outcome here. As I said before individual nation states within Europe are giving practical aid while the EU talks about it :roll::roll:

We've been over this point ad nauseam but simply put, in the Royal Navy a "boat" is a submarine. There are civilian small craft that are termed as "boats" but are have descriptions that give clues to their size such as lifeboats, rescue boats, work boats, fishing boats. In general if a vessel is sea-going and carries cargo or passengers she will be called a name that gives a clue to her size and purpose e.g. ULCC (Ultra Large Crude Carrier) Passenger Vessel, Product Tanker, Container Ship, Cruise Liner. I'm sure LP will come in with her six penn'orth any minute now :wink::wink:

No, Asp. Told you, I have a mate in the Merchant Navy, so I am exceedingly well educated on the subject. It's only fun to say "boat" when he's not expecting it and watch him fizz. LK's done a fine job on you all by himself here. I'm really not needed. In fact, I'd just be showboating.... or do I mean showshipping.... :twisted::lol: