Schools closed - LOL

disgusted

I argree that if more pupils and teachers lived within reasonable walking distance of their schools and if more people lived within reaonable walking distance of their places of work it wouldn't be so much of a problem either :P

However like already pointed out people don't... therefore all councils should ensure that ALL their local roads are passable and safe that way everyone can still get to wherever they need to get too :roll:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in the case of Fats; a thick red haired Jock in a kilt, with the blue wode on his freckly face - is more like it! :lol: Obviously can't comprehend the fact that snow and ice obstruct transport, therefore closer proximity excludes need for transport = possibility of folk actually getting to work - doh! :roll:

Not in the case of Fats; a thick red haired Jock in a kilt, with the blue wode on his freckly face - is more like it! :lol: Obviously can't comprehend the fact that snow and ice obstruct transport, therefore closer proximity excludes need for transport = possibility of folk actually getting to work - doh! :roll:
I was brought up in rural Aberdeenshire, and had a 45 minute 15 mile (by direct route, but actually about 25 the way we went) bus journey to get to secondary school.

We were occassionally sent home early when blizzards were forecast, as some pupils lived way way up in the hills where they really wouldn't have gotten home to, but in all those years the school was only ever closed for one day, the local primary school never closed once.

It has nothing to do with living in proximity to your work, and everything to do with people over-reacting, and not actually trying to get to their work. We've had at most 6 inches, not six feet, and nothing since Tuesday, and yet most schools have been closed all week?

For quite a few of my early years of work, I worked in Aberdeen, and commuted back out to the country, and did night shift mostly at that, not once was I snowed in, or snowed out trying to get home again, and we frequently had more snow than what we've seen this week.

Nothing whatsoever to do with your repetitvely boring anti-car, anti-choice of where to live campaign, and everything to do with laziness.

But I guess that is a bit much for you to comprehend eh? That I've seen many many years of snow like, and worse than, this, and find what is happening this week pathetic.

And less of the 'Jock' guffy.

Schools are in the blame culture we inhabit today.. little Johnny slips on the ice and breaks his wrist- school is sued. It wasn't like that 30 years ago in the last cold snap- shows how far we have progressed..

Also, if salt was needed 30 years ago it was found- no matter what the cost- now we hear of council employees being kept in the garage until "someone" decides if they can afford to pay the grit spreaders- not this local authority I would add -economics of the madhouse.

So you recommend a 25mile commute through the snow, rather than a culture of folk living within walking distance of their place of work - a situation which would have the added benefit of reducing both congestion and pollution - thus ticking all the boxes - it's a no brainer for anyone with brains! :roll:

So you recommend a 25mile commute through the snow, rather than a culture of folk living within walking distance of their place of work - a situation which would have the added benefit of reducing both congestion and pollution - thus ticking all the boxes - it's a no brainer for anyone with brains! :roll:

Spoken like a true "TOWNIE"!!!!!!!

Where would you like the farmers to be obs?

Nobody?s ever going to win in this argument because both Observer and Fatshaft have perfectly valid points.

If people choose to live a great distance from work then that?s their choice. Four of my staff live over an hours drive away but fortunately they don?t need to come into the office so it?s not an issue.

But if bad weather means that not living locally has serious social implications for everyone else, then it?s right to point the finger of blame at their selfish choice rather than at the weather.

Bill :)

Yes that's exactly what I recommend :roll::roll::roll:

I would think the % of population (outside London workers) who live 25 miles+ from their place of work would be in the very small single figures, but don't let that stop you taking an extreme example to try and make your point.

Spoken like a true "TOWNIE"!!!!!!!

Where would you like the farmers to be obs?

Among other things, exactly. Or the families of farmers, or people brought up in the country?

I wonder if he's actually thought ths through in any way whatsoever?

Where would everybody live if they all had to be within walking distance of their jobs? You'd end up with 100 story skyscrapers in the middle of every town to accomodate everyone.

What about couples? Women for example work in very large numbers in the retail trade, so they'll have to stay city centre, or in newly prupose built out of town "workers" housing estates? However men work in very small numbers in retail, what happens there? Wife at M&S Trafford Centre, hubby at is the greenkeeper at Leigh Golf club, where are they supposed to live? Bonkers.

The snow isn't a problem, it's the ice underneath.

We have taken our daughter back to Uni in Nottingham today. M6, A500, A 50, M1 and into Nottingham - roads completely clear (they don't seem to have half the amount of snow either though). Came back the scenic route - M1, M62. Roads clear despite of the snow till we got near home. It just seems to be us that haven't cleared the snow properly - driving down Longford Street is the awful.

And there's more snow forecast tomorrow, just in time for school on Monday!! :?

Yes Milly but don?t loose site of the fact that we had a heck of a lot more snow than snow than many other places in the area. I?ve had several visitors this week who were all amazed at the depth of the snow here and these were from towns that traditionally would get far more than us!

Bill :)

If we've had more snow than most, then teachers who live outside the area won't have as much snow on the residential roads and driveways where they live as we have. The main roads and motorways are clear pretty much everywhere, so they really should have no major problem getting in to work.

I'd be interested to know what proportion of those claiming to be unable to get to work due to being snowed in have actually made any serious attempt to get anywhere.

If I genuinely couldn't get the car off the drive in the morning and had to phone in, I'd expect to spend the day I'm being paid for digging myself out - not just sitting watching Jeremy Kyle and waiting for Spring.

It would be interesting if teachers weren't paid if they couldn't get to school.

But in general, the idea of living near where you work makes perfect sense if you have long-term secure employment, rather than the "several careers in a lifetime" expectation now.

Interesting rural perspective on the radio early today. Farmers used to clear villages of snow using tractors and snowploughs - till they were told it was illegal to use red diesel for that as it wasn't agricultural....

as somebody who is currently out of work and looking for employment i am expected to apply for jobs with up to 1 hour travelling time from where i live. so in ideal conditions that would be about sixty miles.

if i had to walk, that distance would be around four miles(about average walking pace i think is 4 mph but will stand corrected if i am wrong).

these days most pupils live further away than that :roll:

Fats: it's all been done before; emergency wotkers lived in tied housing, literally at their place of work; their spouses got jobs (assuming they had to) in the local area. As for "farmers"; they are AT their place of work; which just leaves the question of ensuring supplies of their produce to the cities, which can be a lot easier with less commuters clogging the roads. As for job mobility, our Anglo-Saxon obsession with home ownership, rather than renting, acts against it. As I said - a no brainer. :roll:

Tied housing, no ownership.... yes, Obs, It's all been done before. Back in the Middle Ages when peasants were plentiful so if a few died in the snow, you could still run your castle!

And then again amongst textile workers in the 1800s so they had to put up with appalling conditions and abuse to keep their family out of the poorhouse and alive.

Some of us are now so used to being allowed to own more than one frock and a cooking pot, not to mention being allowed to turn down the Boss when he starts, that we'd rather not go back, thanks! :lol:

How odd :?

My son's gutted that his school is open tomorrow and unlike me he's not too impressed that the school collected their own grit and cleared the site themselves with a borrowed JCB and a snow plough gadget stuck to the front of the school tractor.

He said they should have waited for the council to do it :wink::lol::lol::shock:

Wonder if the school can clear some of our roads :D