NWDA Wind Turbine

Peter T

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about this but I think they may not rotate at all if the wind is below a certain level. At best they?re only about 15% efficient so beyond a point they?d just be wearing out for little or no return. Thinking about returns, a couple of grand for twenty years might bring a better return if invested elsewhere but then again that?s not really what this is about.

Bill :)

Not sure about this but I think they may not rotate at all if the wind is below a certain level. At best they?re only about 15% efficient so beyond a point they?d just be wearing out for little or no return. Thinking about returns, a couple of grand for twenty years might bring a better return if invested elsewhere but then again that?s not really what this is about.

Point taken Bill, but I see it everyday and it has been windy since it has stopped. :wink:

I believe the cost (to us taxpayers) was ?90,000 + and in first year of ops produced ?400 value of electricity and in the second year was going to cost ?900 in maintenance :x - NWDA were supposed to be having a screen in reception showing annual/daily output, available for public viwewing during office hours, but have called in a couple of times and been told "it is not operating at the present time". I see there are now similar wind turbines near Bank Quay and Runcorn stations and Tesco in town were having one (is it there yet ?). These smaller wind turbines cannot be compared with those seen in the Pennines and offshore which now cost over ?1million each - Peel Holdings want to put 26 on Frodsham Marshes and claim they will produce sufficient electricity for 30,000 homes.

Well at that rate it?s going to take well over twenty years just to recover its cost and that seems quite a bit different from Mr Broomhead?s claim of just two years. Factor in the ongoing maintenance costs and life expectancy of the device and I reckon that this will turn out to be a financial liability for the town.

B&Q stopped selling domestic wind turbines because they were useless...a typical turbine generated 20 pence worth of electricity in 6 months. Here in Newton Tesco have installed a turbine on their car park and that too is equally useless, I suspect it's to advance their *green* credentials. Nuclear is the only viable alternative to fossil fuels if energy is to be created in any volume once the oil runs out. The French generate the bulk of their energy by this means, the UK can too.

Let's not be negative over wind turbines - if Peel Holdings could have 26 full size turbines in a lowland situation like Frodsham Marshes and producing sufficient electricity for 30,000 homes then that has to be viable. Think about your average annual lecky bill x 30,000 and an investment of ?26million for the turbines and half as much again for distributon and maintenance? a return of over 30% per annum on my abacus :D It's the waste of space mini turbines like NWDA which should not be allowed by the planning authorities without sifficient prior reseach - a wind guage mast for at least 12 months to assess site potential.

When the Green Meanies quote how much power can be generated per home they use the calculation of 3 low wattage light bulbs per home. They ignore the real heavy use of appliances we all use in our homes such as dish washers and washing machines. The figures they produce are spurious and useless, 30,000 means around err....6.

Sorry Safeway - current calculations of average household lecky consumption based on 6,000 kwh per home which is a tad more than your suggested 3 light bulbs. These larger turbines (over 100 metres high) are efficient and cannot be compared to the tiddlers of 15 to 20 metres high as at NWDA site and the household attachments such as David Cameron has - although research into these continues.

Gary - I know it's large and it's in reception along with all those wall to wall receptionists and lots of other screens but if it is regularly out of action or hasn't enough lecky to keep it going it's just like the turbine outside the building - about as much use as a chocolate fireguard and a waste of public money. My info on original cost, first year's output and second year maintenace came from my Freedom of Information enquiry some months ago - maybe you have up to date results ??