The Human Rights act strikes again!!

Bazj

I wasn't having a pop at you. I was saying that the benefit system has to exclude Directors, simply because they DO have the option of paying themselves very little by way of salary, dodging tax and therefore qualifying for benefits whilst actually making a lot more than the average PAYE employee.

Personal tax allowance is ?6K in round figures. Mrs Director is entitled to "earn" that as a "secretary" tax free as long as she doesn't work elsewhere. Same allowance for the kids. So Mr Director can have ?24K for himself, his wife, his 14 year old son (part time office worker) and 16 year old daughter (part time receptionist) before he pays one penny in tax. He can lease two "pool cars" for the company and as long as they get swapped about and occasionally used by other employees, they are a tax deduction and nobody gets taxed on them but his family has two nice motors. Do we need to discuss company private health plans, mobile phones, laptops, printers, training or sales conferences? And that is before we get onto accounting options like dividends!

You think someone enjoying all those options for quite legitimately reducing his tax bill should be given the piss-taking double dip of pointing to his "on paper" earnings, dodging his council tax and getting benefits paid for by the PAYE majority who can't get toilet paper tax-free?!

I don't. I'd rather pay the Polish fruit-picker so he can eat and pay rent than the Company Director who'd have to fly home from his Tuscan villa to sign on! :lol:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh but you make an assuption that every director is making pots of money.... if they are, I'm with the wrong accountant!

No, I'm not. I'm stating the fact that every Director has the power to adjust his "on paper" income to qualify for means-tested benefits. Hence the system excludes all Directors. You and I both know that if Directors were permitted to claim benefits in that fashion, a great many would do so, and a fair number of them would also be the very foreign nationals that enraged you in earlier posts. Polish Fruit Pickers Ltd for example.... you'd be even grumpier then! :lol: