Prince William sleeps rough in London for charity

Mary

William, Centrepoint patron, and his private secretary Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton slept on cardboard boxes in freezing temperatures on December 15 near Blackfriars bridge with Centrepoint chief executive Seyi Obakin.

The prince was then taken through the West End in the early hours of the morning to observe other rough sleepers.

"I cannot, after one night, even begin to imagine what it must be like to sleep rough on London's streets night after night," William said.

"Poverty, mental illness, drug and alcohol dependency and family breakdown cause people to become and then stay homeless. I hope that by deepening my understanding of the issue, I can help do my bit to help the most vulnerable on our streets."

At least he is looking at the problem from the right perspective

I should imagine one wing of Buckingham Palace could take care of the homeless problem in London but don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen. Incidentally, you may not know that the view of Buck Pal which everybody is familiar with is the rear of the building, the front is much grander. The royals seemingly aren't as dumb as we think.Hope this works.

...... http://www.lindsayfincher.com/gallery/d/15166-1/london_sept05_buckingham_palace_12.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The prince was then taken through the West End in the early hours of the morning to observe other rough sleepers.

Hmm, Henry V, when Prince of Wales, apparently did the same thing, to gain an appreciation of the the trials and tribulations of the general public.

Nice move to get William out of his cotton wool lined box (pardon the pun)- thing is, had anyone had the foresight to take a photo- to prove he actually DID this "stunt"?