Brtish Young Guns going well

Geoff Settle

It's good to see British talent stepping up this weekend in Golf with Justin Rose at the Maters, Tennis with Jamie and Andy Murray in the Davis Cup and Lewis Hamilton in Formula F1. :D

Much more upbeat than the recent football and cricket also rans. :wink:

I think thst it's down to self belief which both our National Football and Cricket squads seem to be lacking at the moment. Take Lewis attitude for example:

Hamilton confident of GP victory

Hamilton is still getting used to being in the spotlight

Rising star Lewis Hamilton will try to achieve his season's target of winning a Formula One race at Sunday's Malaysian Grand Prix.

The McLaren driver finished third on his F1 debut in Australia a fortnight ago and the spotlight will be firmly on him in Sepang.

"There's no rush as there are 16 races left," said the 22-year-old Briton.

"But I'm here to win and whether it's the first weekend or the last, as long as I get one in then I'll be happy."

[ 07.04.2007, 15:03: Message edited by: Geoff Settle ]

Well Jamie played a magnificant match with Greg by his side and to quote the BBC

Greg Rusedski and Jamie Murray won Saturday's Davis Cup doubles rubber to secure victory for Great Britain over the Netherlands in Birmingham.

The British pair defeated Robin Haase and Rogier Wassen 6-1 3-6 6-3 7-6 (7-5) to give the hosts an unassailable 3-0 lead in the best-of-five tie.

Great Britain will now move on to a play-off in September for a place in the elite World Group of 16 nations.

I belive that Justin is the youngest player in the competition, but as you say he was there 3 years ago so must have gained in experience.

Now what time does the Grand Prix start and whose fourth on the grid?

[ 07.04.2007, 21:44: Message edited by: Geoff Settle ]

You must have a lot of free time on your hands.

I hadn't realised that the GP was on this weekend. I take it that Hamilton is 4th on the grid from your post.

According to the headline story, Button is in trouble with his poor car. Not read it, but it didn't look good.

I heard it on Five-Live whilst driving back and dodging a guy with no tails lights last night.

Shame about his chances if his car is poorly but he does seem like a great driver.

Button is definitely off sorts with his car and set up and they admit it and as for Coulthard probably too much of the glamourous lfe style in Monte Carlo.

I think that Lewis will keep his tyres firmly on the ground.

Hope you managed to see Lewis. 2nd in only his 2nd race and what a masterful performance he drove like a very experienced drive indeed. The way he took and held off the Ferraris was excellent.

"That was the most difficult race I have ever had," said Hamilton, 22.

"I had Kimi hunting me down for most of the race. I can't explain how tough that was, it was getting hotter but I had to keep pushing and I made no mistakes."

[ 08.04.2007, 10:16: Message edited by: Geoff Settle ]

And I nearly fogot what a fight by the Bolton lad Amir and what an attitude for a fighter? I bet he was inspired by Joe earlier in the evening who at 35 is getting on but the speed of his hands was amazing.

Khan stopped Steffy Bull before stating he wanted to challenge British champion Jonathan Thaxton later this year.

"There are a few fighters I'd love to fight just to shut their mouths. They're scared," said 20-year-old Khan.

I think that you'll be hearing the National Anthem a lot more as the young guns progress. :wink:

Meanwhile in the Masters, Justin is in joint 2nd spot, tees off at 19:05

The Masters, Augusta

FOURTH ROUND LEADERBOARD

S Appleby Aus +2 1915

T Woods +3 1915

J Rose Eng +3 1905

[ 08.04.2007, 17:35: Message edited by: Geoff Settle ]

Well didn't he come close and was in with a shout of winning up until the 16th hole.

Rose challenge fades at the death

Rose and Harrington were Europe's best chances going into the final round at Augusta

Justin Rose and Padraig Harrington played in the penultimate group at the Masters but were not able to break Europe's eight-year major drought.

England's Rose, 26, finished in a tie for fifth, while Irishman Harrington shared seventh behind winner Zach Johnson of American.

"I really learned a lot about myself today," said Rose, who carded 73 to end four over, three shots adrift.

"I really feel I have what it takes to go on and win majors from here."

The Young Guns certainly had a great weekend of sport. :D

• 2 months later...

Well its two months on since I started this post and they are still doing well, Lewis Hamilton is leading the FI Championship and took his 2nd race title today, Justin Rose has done really well in the US Golf and Andy Murray will be something like 8th in the tennis rankings even though he's been injured for the last week or so. Must be something in the water. :D

• 1 year later...

Another tournament and a fifth final this year for Andy Murray - currently 4th in the world. With his injuries and tantrums hopefully behind him he's going to win yet again. :lol:

As for Lewis he just needs to stay calm and his crew need to make sure that his tires are changed at the right time etc and he'll at last be World Champion in Brazil :D