Is it right?

trojan

The gates needed to be opened because the turnstiles weren't coping with the numbers and people were in danger outside. Turnstiles that had previously been criticised for exactly that reason. The management just opened the gates and let the entire crowd flood in, downhill to the pens. Where there was no escape route or safety mechanism. That is why people died. Had the turnstiles been upgraded, had the crowd been properly marshalled, had there been emergency measures in place, nobody would have died. These things are the responsibility of the venue management, not the fans or the Police.

Being told by the government to install fences does not absolve you of your duty of care. Management knew exactly how many fans were arriving - they'd sold the damn tickets! - and where the problems would be. They just didn't bother doing anything more than ordering up six St John's volunteers and an extra burger van. Criminal in my book.

I see, so the management of the ground hadn't bothered to find out how many fans were coming? Well fair play, lads, I was assuming they'd at least taken that much interest, but if you say not, I'll stand corrected. So now we have venue management who don't give a stuff how many people are coming, don't bother to find out, don't provide workable access via turnstiles, open the gates and let people take their chances...... like I said, manslaughter in the real world.

It should not be necessary, in a civilised society, to deploy a single police officer at any football match. So the police were NOT to blame for Hillsborough.

The Liverpool fans who were crushed to death were NOT to blame either. They were innocent victims of those who arrived late (whether drunk or sober) and pushed the crowd forward, thus trapping them against the fencing which also should not have been necessary in a civilised society.

Very wise words Egbert 8)