• Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • Ukip
    • BNP
    • Green
    • Other
    • Not decided yet
    • None of the above

Tricky question this. Do I want in power the party that hiked unemployment, didn't do too well with a recession, promoted a culture of greed, hiked taxes, invented new taxes, sent our lads to fight in far away places for pointless reasons, told lies about acts of aggression, kept me in the dark about serious issues and destroyed the power of the Unions?

Or shall I stick with Labour? As all of the above - Falklands, Belgrano, Poll Tax, Miners' Strike and Yuppies were, as I recall, during the Tory Glory Days.

Nothing to choose between any of them, really. Come the day, I shall vote for the one that I have caught in the fewest lies or evasions. Mainly, I shall vote to ensure that the BNP does not creep any further out of the sewers!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As all of the above - Falklands, as I recall, during the Tory Glory Days.

But as I recall, it was the Argentinians who invaded the Falklands, and all political parties supported the action of the Conservative Government of the time. Indeed the then Labour Leader and a great orator, Michael Foot, made a speech supporting action to repel the invaders. Wasn't our success in the Falklands Campaign a source of national pride.

With regards to the miners strike, and I lived in a mining community at the time, it was a question of a Trade Union leader, without a mandate, wanting to overthrow an elected government.

As all of the above - Falklands, as I recall, during the Tory Glory Days.

But as I recall, it was the Argentinians who invaded the Falklands, and all political parties supported the action of the Conservative Government of the time. Indeed the then Labour Leader and a great orator, Michael Foot, made a speech supporting action to repel the invaders. Wasn't our success in the Falklands Campaign a source of national pride.

With regards to the miners strike, and I lived in a mining community at the time, it was a question of a Trade Union leader, without a mandate, wanting to overthrow an elected government.

Yeah, and who invaded Kuwait? Are you really saying the programme of pit closures and the handling of the matter was not a deliberate move to crack the Unions? Because I certainly saw it as such AND supported it - they were a disgraceful bunch of pseudo-politicians using the members they represented as cannon fodder without even coughing up strike pay. Arthur did at least set aside his salary at the time.

My point is, Paul, that there's nothing to choose between them, and I am heartily sick of the Tory campaign promising Days of Roses and improvements they can't deliver any better than the current boys. Doesn't matter which we pick, the changes will be more shout than action and the promises will all have small print get out clauses.

What is important is that we do turn out and choose to the best of our ability, because there are some very nasty alternatives lurking round the edges.

I think quite a few people will vote BNP rather than Lib Dem.... just a feeling I have that the people in general are not happy with the mealy mouthed wishy-washy answers and solutions that our mainstream politicians have come up with....

Yeah, and who invaded Kuwait?

Iraq.

So what did that have to do with us? Nothing. But the Conservative leader at the time, in order to stay on good terms with the oil-dependent US of A, sent our lads over there in droves. Now, don't get me wrong - I am not criticising the decision or the reasons for making it. I just get a smidge hacked off when the finger pointing starts from that corner over the current Labour leaders making an equally valid decision and sending our lads in droves to fight in a foreign country (Afghanistan) that has not committed an act of aggression towards the UK but has upset the USA, with whom they want to be pals.

Peter T

Are you a member of the Tory Party, you seem to be doing alot of electioneering for them, I myself would never vote for them as I could not vote for a party that puts the need of a few over the need of the many. :!:

edited, I meant Peter not Paul :oops:

Fascinating insight from a poster who has been on here for nearly TWO years asking what my politics are. I thought that you thought that you had your finger on the pulse???

I DON'T do political other than criticise the failings of those in power.

A nasty job, but someone has to do it, otherwise they will believe their own publicity and the fawning of their followers.

Which party will bring us out of Europe? That would be a party that I might think of supporting, but the other boxes of mine would have to be ticked as well.

Once you've tied your colours to the mast of a Party, you have to spend time defending positions that may not be yours personally. :shock:

Which is why I have no time for politicians of any party when they start shouting. Politics is an arena where the truth is never, ever spoken without adjustment, omission or spin by one side or the other. Pots calling kettles! :lol:

WHY is that promoting the Tories? It was a question that as normal didn't get answered.

Looking at the poll, and indeed generalising, it is the mindset of quite a lot, that folks would see it as a wasted vote. And if the election is going to be a toss-up, it could be deemed that it would be a wasted vote.

So I refer you back to my previous answer. read and inwardly digest. :roll:

Yeah, and who invaded Kuwait?

Iraq.

So what did that have to do with us? Nothing. But the Conservative leader at the time, in order to stay on good terms with the oil-dependent US of A, sent our lads over there in droves. Now, don't get me wrong - I am not criticising the decision or the reasons for making it. I just get a smidge hacked off when the finger pointing starts from that corner over the current Labour leaders making an equally valid decision and sending our lads in droves to fight in a foreign country (Afghanistan) that has not committed an act of aggression towards the UK but has upset the USA, with whom they want to be pals.

UK is rather oil dependent as well, as is the world's economy. Actually I understand that if push came to shove the US could do without Middle East oil.

Regarding Afghanistan, I suspect that the real reason we are there is because next door is Pakistan, an increasingly unstable nuclear power, and the thought must be that we and like minded countries could intervene if it looked likely that those nuclear weapons were going to fall into the "wrong hands".

He's a conservative councillor, isn't he, LK? Seem to recall him being quite up front about it. He denies politicing on here though - says he's just a man of the peple saying what he thinks.... which I'm sure is also true! :wink:

I guess that you made this post prior to LK making his change, and in respose to your points:

I am, Hatton, Stretton & Walton

I am

I do, well at least I try and be objective and balanced, however as I post in my own name and political opponents monitor my posts and where possible use them against me/my party etc, I have to be careful. Pity really that they don't post on this Forum...in their own name, then we would have a level playing field. :wink::)

I like to think that I am, and that I do...subject to comment above.

and thank you for your final few words LP. :wink::D