Is Warrington the worst place to live in the country?

Gary

Is Warrington the worst place to live in the country?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Is Warrington the worst place to live in the country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it isn't!!!

If you actually read Tod's post he was claiming all the chemical industries had left warrington 10 years ago! :roll:

Not the way I read it.... he said whilst talking about Widnes

The bus service is superb, and Widnes has managed that without any industry to speak off. The Chemical Industry left the town over 10 years ago and unemployment is high and yet large developments of ?500,000 plus houses have sprung up

which I (and Wolfie so it appears) took to mean the chemical industry left Widnes 10 years ago!! :roll:

Even in boom times years ago you'll find that most of the chemical industry capacity was based over the bridge in Runcorn at the Weston Point and Rocksavage plants which are still there. Rocksavage were in dispute with Fiddlers Ferry power station concerning their electricity bills and unable to renegotiate the level of their bills constructed their very own power station. I was in and out of the ICI plants all over Cheshire in my former life as a truck driver but the only plant in Widnes which I can recall was a small plant in Ditton which is still there as far as I know making the chemical which gives natural gas it's distinctive smell, natural gas being odourless.

If you really do hate living here so much why not move down the road to St Helens, Widnes, Leigh, Runcorn, Salford.

I know where I would rather live.

:roll:

I don't know what prompted this topic, presumably something was on the news was it?

Anyway, perfect example right on the doorstep of why Warringtonm isn't that bad - the five above, plus Manchester, Bolton, Blackburn, Wigan, and tbh, many towns in the NW are pretty undesireable from an outsiders standpoint, Warrington passes the tests these towns fail.

:shock: Granada reports are currently filming a news story on bridge foot as i type, no doubt a story about the lout who was peeing on the war memorial and wearing poppy wreaths on his head. No doubt it will feature on Granada Reports tonight.

:cry:

That will really do Warrington's image a lot of good ??

I see that the online version of the Daily Mail are running it as well.

And the 'Warrington Guardian' website is now showing cctv video footage of the idiot actually doing it :?

I am totally disgusted by what he did but it is the first time in all my years of living in Warrington that I have ever heard of anything like this happening.

PS Insider... Runcorn also has a 'WA' post code :?

What a very confusing poll! :shock:

Is the vote on....

a) whether or not Warrington is the worst place to live, as it says at the beginning of this thread....or is it.....

B) the online poll that is mentioned in the www newspages,

"Voters in an online poll on this website were massively against the commission's report".

I have not voted yet because if it's a) my vote is No

but if it's B) my vote is Yes. (ie. I think the commission's report is a fair assessment).

I think it's possible that Yes voters may have been voting on the report rather than the town in general.

Perhaps a poll..."Do you think the commission's report is a fair assessment?"might clarify things.

What a very confusing poll! :shock:

Is the vote on....

a) whether or not Warrington is the worst place to live, as it says at the beginning of this thread....or is it.....

B) the online poll that is mentioned in the www newspages,

"Voters in an online poll on this website were massively against the commission's report".

I have not voted yet because if it's a) my vote is No

but if it's B) my vote is Yes. (ie. I think the commission's report is a fair assessment).

I think it's possible that Yes voters may have been voting on the report rather than the town in general.

Perhaps a poll..."Do you think the commission's report is a fair assessment?"might clarify things.

Well simplify it - is Warrington the worst place to live in the country ?- that is what the poll is asking!

Well where's the other poll then? the online poll on this website where voters were massively against the commission's report? because I want to vote on that one too! No point just voting on this one because my 'No, Warrington is not the worst place to live in the country' might get calculated as a vote against the commission's report, when actually I think the report was a fair assessment of the areas red flagged.

Impossible question to answer. What is the criteria that we judge the town on?

ALL towns/cities have good and bad points.

And it is sometimes difficult to raise the good points at a time when there are so many bad things. ie traffic and Bridge St. Pubs/clubs and the skittles.

Also very few people live in Warrington. We mostly live on the outskirts of the town and can all come up with problems.

:roll:

Pro-Warrington!

I think too many people are dwelling too much on the negative, surely Audit Commission report has done its job by highlighting what improvements need to be done, so that the organizations that it is aimed at can act in the appropriate way to make changes for the better. The report is clearly aimed at the orgainsations providing the services and is not condemning the town or its citizens.

I do think that it is only proper to highlight failings of any organisation so they don?t rest on their laurels or come complacent and the people of Warrington can see what improvements need to be acted upon and invested in.

I can see only positive things happening to Warrington and will become even more prosperous because of its infrastructure and the investment and transferring of jobs from the South/London to Manchester, for example the BBC, Whitehall jobs and the massive investment into Liverpool this must have an overspill affect on Warrington for the better?.

Living here in the South East not many people have heard of Warrington, I have to explain that it is in between Liverpool and Manchester near the famous landmark the M6 Thelwall Viaduct, just goes to prove that Warrington is still a small provincial town with high expectations.

There is always too much emphasisis on negative news stories, but journalists must fill the news columns, TV screens with something to keep in a job and sell papers etc.

What Warrington needs are more ambassadors such as Warrington-Worldwide, Mr Colin Parry of the Peace Centre, the Wolves Rugby Team and fans and even Chris Evens to put the town in a favorable light, however at the end of the day, it is the good people of Warrington that help make it the town it is.

So you never drove your truck into Fisons, McKechnies, Albright and Wilson, W J Bush, Vine Chemicals, Laports, Pilk Sullivans etc every one having closed.?

The main customer was ICI which Rocksavage alone dwarfed all the others you have mentioned although I have been in Laportes occasionally, manually handling a product called slab allum which was a horrible material. They never told us what it was although I suspect it's the reason I glow in the dark on occasions.

I know which town I would stay in, and which I wouldn;t even look at.

Over the last 50 years I have lived in Warrington, St Helens, Widnes and at present Cronton. I don't understand all this " I know which town I would sooner live" nonsense.

There are areas of Warrington where I wouldn't dream of living, as there are areas of Widnes that are very up market. All in all there isn't much to choose between any town in the North West, but there are certain areas in every town that most people would wish to avoid.

Most people in my village would love to be part of Halton Council rather than Knowsley, as the ruling council can have a tremendous effect on where you live.

:shock: Granada reports are currently filming a news story on bridge foot as i type, no doubt a story about the lout who was peeing on the war memorial and wearing poppy wreaths on his head.

The low life who performed this act was from Runcorn so lets hope the media mention this! :roll:

OK, but he came to Warrington for its "night time economy" (and pubs willing to sell drink to drunks). Lack of public toilets is hardly the issue when they've been in pubs with toilets.

[quote name="vic

OK' date=' but he came to Warrington for its "night time economy" (and pubs willing to sell drink to drunks). Lack of public toilets is hardly the issue when they've been in pubs with toilets.[/quote]

"night time economy" Whaaahey Vic...so youv'e got a sense of humour after all!!! :lol: That's a real cute name for the drugs and drinks trades! :lol::lol::lol:

(and pubs willing to sell drinks to drunks).......(and a council that keeps granting licences for ever longer opening hours to....pubs willing to sell drinks to drunks)!!!!!! :roll: