Xmas Turkey?

observer

Got a few tips from Delia the other night - when you cover the bird with foil, make a tent effect above the bird, which acts as as oven within the oven. I've always cooked it upside down, to allow the juices to run into the breast, but noticed she cooked it right side up - but kept it basted. :?

I've always cooked mine the right way up and kept the foil loose (tent like) at the top and basted at regular intervals... :shock:

I'm a naff cook or so I thought ... but maybe I'm not so bad after all if Delia is doing it the same way as me :D

You have made my day Obs :D

Wonder how many spoonfulls of Bisto gravy granuals (for turkey of course) she uses though and wether she prefers her christmas pud with custard out of a tin or the packet stuff that you mix with water.... tinned is far better in both consistency and flavour in my opinion :lol::lol::wink:

Obs missed the bit where Delia rammed pork mince stuffing into every possible orifice, smeared half a pound of butter over the bird and THEN layered it with a kilo of good streaky bacon. Thereby keeping the healthy white meat moist and succulent whilst leaving the gravy-making juices so loaded with cholesterol that you'd be dead by Boxing Day......

I found her dull, dull, dull and thought there was very little in the hour. More an exercise in selling her new book than a cookery programme, I think. All that intercutting with her walking in the garden and examining bags of breadcrumbs in her freezer was a right waste of time.

I like the bit where we're all supposed to keep bags of frozen king prawns handy in case of unexpected visitors.... :lol::lol::lol: turn up at my house uninvited, you take pot luck on what's in the cake tin and join the ranks at set mealtimes!

I am a great fan of butter and you can't beat it for flavour, but I wouldn't have butter and bacon and pork stuffing. I use bacon myself, but never stuff any bird with anything more than an onion and some fresh sage or maybe a lemon and some garlic for a chicken. I always think there's a risk that it won't cook through - but then, to feed my lot requires something akin to an ostrich!

I preferred Nigella's Christmas series myself. More recipes and more fun. Delia's freezer chat left me cold in many ways....

Obs.

I watched the prog with Delia. I'm pretty sure she used two pieces of baking foil. One to wrap the turkey in full, and another piece to form the dome over the top.

She had two long pieces laid at right angles under the bird, so one went right over the top of the bird side to side and was long enough to leave airspace over the top, then the other piece came up at the two ends (neck and parson's nose) to seal the "tent".

I didn't see a single minute of it, but I gather they killed, cooked and ate a rat and this is cruelty. As opposed to chewing up live creatures, stomping around on them and stuffing them into stupid challenges, which is of course the main activity for everyone? The whole thing is pathetic. They are there for what, a fortnight? You can put up with anything for 14 days. Except the footage of this tedious nonsense...... :wink:

• 1 year later...

having the butcher cook our turkey for us this year.......it will be in the oven as we speak....but I do cook chickens in the slow cooker[to die for]pop the full chicken in...either frozen or fresh.....for about 5 hours on slow[or untill you think its done]evan leave overnight to cook[this would heat your house up to and wake you up to a nice smell.....tiny drop of water[half a cup to a cup of water with lemon juice]turn it over half way through,dosent matter if you dont.....it is gorgeous,and there seems to be alot more of it useable.......enjoy.....................