4 - free Alarms will be installed in Warrington

Geoffrey Settle

Just received my first call of the day which happens to be offering me a Free Alarm system - I am one of only 4 households to have been selected in my local area to have one of these delights.

I was told that it will be linked to a monitoring service and did I know that the Police no longer come out if alarms are ringing. I had been selected from the national database and the project.

When asked she admitted that there would be a charge but that it would depend on the size of my house would I like someone to phone me back and discuss it further....doh no and please take me off the National Databse.

What free offers have you had today?

garfield_catsup.gif[/url]

:lol: I had the same call last week, so I must be one of the other 3 specially selected households....................aren't we the lucky ones !! I asked how much the monitoring service would cost but she said that I would have to discuss this when their surveyor called. Needless to say, I declined the offer.

me for three. also had double glazing, health insurance and house and third party insurance. the latter two from the same people despite me telling them that i was unemployed and could not even afford their ?1.00 for 100 days cover and also telling them i was already covered. "well it can run alongside your present policy sir" was the reply to that one.

what part of "I DON'T WANT IT" do they not understand. :roll::?

So 3 out of the 'so called' 4 are all WW posters :shock: Mmmmm. Do you recon there are more than 4 people in the area being offered free alarms then :lol:

Joking aside it's a bit worrying as some unscrupulous people COULD just be using such a tactic to find out who ALREADY has an alarm system and who DOESN'T. After all they already have your phone numbers and names if they have phoned you so presumably have your address too.

Not saying for one minute that this company of one of those but always worth having at the back of your mind before you answer any questions about your home securoty requrements or fears :shock: Were they a local company ?

Sleep well :lol:

got another last night just after posting my first post. apparently i have won a brand new top of the range mobile phone. "GReat" says I "when can you send it to me". "all you have to do sir is sign up for our twelve month contract at ?25.00 per month and the phone is your free". ?25.00 is more than i have ever put on my phone in a year let alone a month. i take it i will not be receiving it in the post any time soon.

home serve are also being a bit of a pest at the moment. i have had several calls off them about loft/cavity wall insulation. THEY have already insulated my loft and know they cannot use cavity wall insulation on my house due to it having the cavity filled with a damp coursing material not long after we moved in.

now if they said that they will come and fit central heating on the grant scheme then i might be interested as ong as i had a say on which type of boiler was fitted. :wink:

I put the phone down after the first three words, sometimes even quicker.

Just wondering, IF you answered the phone and then left it off the cradle for an hour or so, would that stop them from being able to ring others on that line?

If you've known anyone who's been recruited to do this sort of nonsense (or done it), you'd know how depressing it can be. There's no obligation to listen, but at least have a care for those often duped into being on the other end of the phone. If they're lying to get you, they've probably lied to the person with the script, telling them "It's an admin job".

Vic, have you never seen the undercover filming that the likes of Watchdog do when they catch companies that do this sort of thing? The people on the end of the phone know perfectly well what they are doing and what the likely outcome will be. Don't feel sympathy for them because they are being paid to do what they do....