Pots and Kettles -

observer

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re experience; experience; experience above. Reminds this old buffer of a saying from the venerable Bill Moore at the grammar school.

He that knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool - shun him.

He that knows not , and knows that he knows not - is a child - teach him.

He that knows and knows not that he knows, is asleep - wake him.

He that knows, and knows that he knows is a wise man - follow him.

Boring, but just perhaps, relevant

Happy days

Baz

Stop showing off your lack of knowledge on the second World War :wink:

Sgt, stop showing that you have no sense of humour.... and anyway, that is exactly what happened at Dunkirk. The French followed our lot onto the boats and back to Blighty before complaining that we left too many of them behind when the boats and time ran out!

The French guarded most of the Dunkirk perimeter enabling the British to get out.

Can I suggest you get your history out of books not films :wink:

Along with some Grenedier Guards.... (I can read wikipedia too)... Listen, if you want to be goverened by a bunch of soap dodging; garlic eating collaborators, then you carry on with your EU dream. Personally, I will be signing up for the revolution to all this EU nonsense as soon as it starts.... and believe me it won't be too long :lol:

I think WE saved around 30,000 Frenchmen at Dunkirk and brought them back the England (some of their sailors were actually billeted around Warrington - the Poles hated them for dropping their slacks for the Germans!). The French had to be processed to sort the Gualist Free French from the Vichy dross, the dross then being repatriated. Obviously Churchill didn't trust them with a Fleet in the Med, so he had the RN blow it out of the water - mon ami! :wink:

WW1 the French were not knocked out, a War that even with British and Common Wealth soldiers was going no where till the Americans joined.

WW2, The only thing that saved us was the English Channel which stopped the German blitzkrieg as we left all are heavy armament at Dunkirk if there had been no English Channel we would have had nothing to stop them, again the War was not being won till the Americans joined, We could never have gone back into France without the Americans :!:

Kije, I think you'll find that the only thing that stopped the Germans invading the UK were Hitlers crap planning and strategies and the fact that he didn't want to fully conquer the UK because he still hoped for an alliance. After Dunkirk, we had nothing left in the way of equipment and if the Germans had implimented operation sealion then we would have been over run in a matter of weeks.

Just remember that the USA was still 3 years off from joining in after Dunkirk and Hitler had the resources but chose to go after Russia instead and he split his lines of attack; which in short lost him the war

Sealion required air supremacy (which was lost during the Battle of Britain - thanks to Radar, RAF Fighter Command and Air Marshal Dowding); it also required control of the sea around the invasion area - which was denied by the supremacy of the Royal Navy and the fact that we are an Island. The eventual allied victory was facilitated by British stubborness, Russian blood and US mass production. :cry: