Car Tyre Damage

Cheshire Kat

Just as a follow on to this, my cars in dry dock to have the steering rack replaced yet again and just to add insult to injury they tell me the sump case is also cracked and that needs replacing as well. :twisted:

I hit a few more of these bloody things on the road into Burtonwood a couple of week?s back and the mechanics agree that this is most likely the cause. :twisted:

Bill :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill.... in Dec you said you were

Over the last few weeks pressing a claim with my cars manufacturer for a premature steering rack failure.

Did you get your steering rack changed at the time and is it the new one that has now failed or the old one that has failed again ?

Have I missed it somewhere in the four pages of this topic, or has Cheshire Kat's link still not been reinstated?

It obviously isn't a `secret' link any longer, as the whys and wherefores have now been discussed (sort of). Enough electronic ink seems to have been spilled to make it clear that there was once a link that we're not allowed to see, at any rate.

Speaking as a responsible adult, I'd rather like to be able to click on this forbidden link, regardless of the views of people who seem to want to protect forum users from doing that. I think we should be given the option.

Have I missed it somewhere in the four pages of this topic, or has Cheshire Kat's link still not been reinstated?

It obviously isn't a `secret' link any longer, as the whys and wherefores have now been discussed (sort of). Enough electronic ink seems to have been spilled to make it clear that there was once a link that we're not allowed to see, at any rate.

Speaking as a responsible adult, I'd rather like to be able to click on this forbidden link, regardless of the views of people who seem to want to protect forum users from doing that. I think we should be given the option.

I don't think it's unreasonable of Gary to remove a link to another discussion site that carries advertising. You can PM Kat for the link and nobody will interfere, so it's not forbidden. Gary's just not carrying free links to a competing site - and as the ads here are allowing us all to post for free, I think we should respect a certain degree of concern on that score. I don't use an ad blocker for the same reason.

Dizzy

No you haven?t misunderstood, this is the second steering rack to have failed. I argued my point on the first and got the thing replaced FOC but it looks like either they?ve just not done the job right (as I suspect) or the replacement part was faulty.

As regard claiming from the council, I think it would be extremely difficult to prove that the bumps caused the steering issues but having the underside of the car constantly hitting these things is consistent with a cracked sump.

Oh well - I asked the person whose computer I use, and he suggested I look at Cheshire Kat's profile to see how to send her a message.

He also told me that in more than ten years on the Internet he's never once seen this kind of refusal to link to another site, except on rival pop music fan sites. Everyone else treats the Internet as an open system, regardless of advertising. And that's my limited experience as well.

As it turned out I didn't even need to send Cheshire Kat a message. The link to the forbidden site opened up another site I hadn't known was there. I must say the idea of a hidden site that can't be named or linked to appeals to me.

I've now read a very interesting article and I will now be emailing the Council Highways Department to ask if it's true that we're supposed to negotiate these bumps with one wheel on and one wheel off - and to ask why we've never been told that before.

He also told me that in more than ten years on the Internet he's never once seen this kind of refusal to link to another site, except on rival pop music fan sites. Everyone else treats the Internet as an open system, regardless of advertising. And that's my limited experience as well.

quote]

Amazon don't carry links to ebay for free. Early Learning has no link to ToysRUs in the interest of price comparison. Tesco don't redirect you to Sainsbury's if they are out of stock of teabags. This site is owned and paid for by a commercial company too, so it's not an open system, it's their space and they make the rules.

If Gary put up links for free, then how could he justify charging for ads? There has to be a benefit you can only get by paying, or nobody pays and we don't get a free Forum site - then WE have to pay to keep it open. Effectively, that would mean I was paying for the privilege of reading the free ads.... :shock:

This isn't Carmina. She uses my computer and I'm the person she quoted about the Internet being a free exchange of information, which is why I'm replying.

Amazon, ebay, Tesco, Sainsbury's and so on are all irrelevant. They all sell goods. Your website doesn't. All you have is a site that calls itself Warrington Worldwide but won't extend as far as Lymm and Stockton Heath, which is really very funny.

This site sells adverts. It's a bit like Tesco selling teabags except instead of selling teabags, this site sells adverts. Clearer now?

It's called Warrington Worldwide, because it's on the WORLDWIDE web and people WORLDWIDE can read it. It was never intended to be a prime source of local news in Argentina or even Accrington. It covers Lymm and Stockton Heath and all the other bits of Warrington, and we like it.

As for your "free exchange", the internet is the Universe's largest shop window. 99% of sites are either selling you something online or grooming you for selling you something more easily offline or selling you to someone else as a potential customer.

(Not Carmina.)

Well, if you insist, though it sounds to me like you're stretching a point to make it fit.

But the main point is, you're still failing to understand the concept of the Internet. The idea is to facilitate movement around the net by means of links. That benefits everybody - including the advertisers, incidentally. Limiting linking goes against the whole ethos of the Internet and doesn't benefit anybody. It doesn't benefit the users of this site, who are interested in Warrington, and nor does it benefit the people who want their adverts to be seen, if traffic is limited by refusal to post relevant links.

(Not Carmina.)

Well, if you insist, though it sounds to me like you're stretching a point to make it fit.

But the main point is, you're still failing to understand the concept of the Internet. The idea is to facilitate movement around the net by means of links. That benefits everybody - including the advertisers, incidentally. Limiting linking goes against the whole ethos of the Internet and doesn't benefit anybody. It doesn't benefit the users of this site, who are interested in Warrington, and nor does it benefit the people who want their adverts to be seen, if traffic is limited by refusal to post relevant links.

It limits the number of people who will pay to put ads on here when they can put them on another similar local site and rely upon the free link from here to get a two for one result. Now that doesn't bother free spirits like you and I, but it's a bit of a b*gger for the people who pay for the servers and the staff and the server space. They won't make enough to buy teabags at all.

Not Carmina

If you recall, I was the one that got both barrels from Cheshire Cat over the deletion of the links and even though I sent a private message to explain the misunderstanding he or she didn?t even bother to read it let alone reply.

you're still failing to understand the concept of the Internet.

Maybe but equally so, you?re failing to understand some basic concepts of business.

My company website doesn?t have links to my competitors, that?d just be plain stupid so there?s no way that a company trading as a ?local on line magazine? is ever going to allow links to another site who claims to be like a ?local on line magazine?.

(Not Carmina.)

This is just so wrong. WW is in effect a big affiliate for various different companies who have paid WW to advertise here. The other site no doubt has competing advertising, maybe even some of the same advertisers.

It is commercial stupidity to allow a competitor to post links on your own site, and virtually every affiliate website will delete such links where they find them posted.

Link exchanges, which I feel is what you are refering to is a different matter entirely. Web companies often enter into link sharing agreements, but they are just that, agreements.

Carmina or 'not'

It has been over two months since the link was posted and immediately removed... :roll:

I clicked it before it was removed and it was nothing more than a blatant attempt to not only advertise some companies services for free but also to point people in the direction of another forum site.... neither of which were particularly informative or correct I must add :roll:

Dizzy

No you haven?t misunderstood, this is the second steering rack to have failed. I argued my point on the first and got the thing replaced FOC but it looks like either they?ve just not done the job right (as I suspect) or the replacement part was faulty.

As regard claiming from the council, I think it would be extremely difficult to prove that the bumps caused the steering issues but having the underside of the car constantly hitting these things is consistent with a cracked sump.

Bill... if you got the rack replaced only a month ago and that one has now failed then you/your garage should be able to claim against the warranty on the part from the supplier/manufacturer.

Whoever fitted it for you should have told you that rather than saying that it 'must have been a pothole' and I'm suprised they haven't already contacted the parts supplier/manufacturer on your behalf :?:wink:

Sounds a bit 'iffy' to me and maybe you need to get someone else to take a quick look 8)

This isn't Carmina. She uses my computer and I'm the person she quoted about the Internet being a free exchange of information, which is why I'm replying.

Amazon, ebay, Tesco, Sainsbury's and so on are all irrelevant. They all sell goods. Your website doesn't. All you have is a site that calls itself Warrington Worldwide but won't extend as far as Lymm and Stockton Heath, which is really very funny.

I suggest you get your facts right before making assumptions and wild statements. :roll:

Diz

The garage isn?t saying the steering problems were due to speed cushions but the crack in the underside of the engine may be. My car isn?t super low but the underside does hit the majority of these bumps when I can?t straddle them which is a bit annoying to say the least. Anyone that?s ever followed me down Green Lane and thought ?Oh come on? probably doesn?t realise just how bad some cars can be with these bumps. :evil:

Sorry my mitake bill I misunderstood your earlier post of..

Just as a follow on to this, my cars in dry dock to have the steering rack replaced yet again and just to add insult to injury they tell me the sump case is also cracked and that needs replacing as well. :twisted:

I hit a few more of these bloody things on the road into Burtonwood a couple of week?s back and the mechanics agree that this is most likely the cause. :twisted:

Anyway... I'd still get a warranty claim form in about your naff new broken steering rack if I was you... or maybe buy higher car :lol::D