Queen Mary 2 at Liverpool

kevofaz25

I prefer the link that Paul put up :wink:

Oh you are so quick.... OK, click on the link that PAUL put up and you can see the Ship heading towards Ireland (Cobh- formerly Queenstown - where the Titanic stopped on her maiden voyage to New York!!)

Apparantly a ship is called a ship if it's big enough to carry a boat.

While a boat is called a boat if it's small enough to be carried on a ship. :?:?:?

:shock: You'll upset him again! A "boat" is a submarine.....

.....and no, anoraks aren't compulsory for shipspotting or boatspotting, but given that sailors apparently believe that a boat being completely submerged is still floating, I'd advise a lifejacket!! :twisted:

Happy? I am enjoying myself enormously..... my OED specifies "on the surface" as the main entry, note note of floating underwater :lol: .....but if you don't know what chesticles are, you've REALLY been at sea too long..... anyway, the joke's not funny your way:

What's long and hard and full of seamen? A boat.

See, it's much funnier if you say "a submarine". Normal people actually get it! :lol::lol::twisted:

Chesticles: Large wooden boxes hanging from the gutter in winter. :roll::wink:

:lol: Ooooh, like that - now for the really BIG challenge: explain to Asp why that's funny when a large wooden box in naval terms is a crate... :lol:

The large thing hanging from my Mum's gutter last November was the window cleaner when the wind blew his ladder sideways. I don't know why he hung there, cos it was the ground floor extension and his feet were only half a yard off the floor! We were all laughing too hard to be any use to him either... :lol::lol:

And do they float too? :lol: See the RAF say they fly, but they are fully supported on a current, which is in the dictionary as floating, so I'm sure there's a sailor somewhere will claim they are in fact ships and the RAF is a minor branch of the glorious Navy..... unless of course we factor in the air above them too, so they are suspended - which although not compromising the term "float" in the universal Navy sense, would in fact argue that they are submarines. Incredible how you lot get the buggers up that high, innit?! :shock::lol:

Didn?t get to see Queen Mary 2 but just spent the day in Liverpool to see the carrier HMS Illustrious and a flying display from its helicopters. Left it a bit too late to get onboard but at least we got a great view from the ferry.

Just thinking, the last time I was on that I was probably as old as my grandchildren.

Bill :)

• 2 weeks later...
On her maiden call to Liverpool tomorrow- arrives 11am and leaves (with all the usual Cunard glitz and fireworks) at 11pm.

At the Cruise Ship Terminal near the Liver Building.

I wonder whether she'll pick up any ghosts such as "haunt" QM1 :?:

There will be a few homeless ghosts from Bewsey Old Hall in a few weeks...