The Secret Millionaire....

Bazj

Did anyone see the programme on Channel 4 last night? I had heard of Charlie Mullins and his Pimlico plumbers before the programme having watched a programme on the TV darn sarrf one time

A couple of things did bother me though.... the programme always has a line in it about "***** decided to give so many thousands of pounds of his own money to help such a charity or whatever" Last night, he handed over 3 ?20,000 cheques from Pimlico plumbers Ltd. They came from a Limited Company so didn't actually come from the millionaire himself.

As my accountant always says to me, "you don't own your company Barry, you are only an employee"

Any charitable donations from a ltd company therefore are tax deducatble and don't reflect any on his personal wealth!!

A lovely gesture though and the garden centre on Long lane was right next to our old office on the business park and really is a great place to go for your plants and garden trinkets!!

Just one other thing as well, Just how did a millionaire manage to get out of Lonford in one piece??? :lol:

Lovely programme. I recorded it and it was so good my wife stayed up till midnight to watch it. Great to see there are such nice, caring people in town.

My main worry was the camera crew. The week before they gave a bogus reason for them to be filming - didn,t hear any reason for this one .

Happy days

I thoroughtly enjoyed the programme and so did my other half :shock: .

What wonderful and deserving people they all were. Nice to know there are such caring people about. :D:D:D

A couple of things did bother me though.... ............

Any charitable donations from a ltd company therefore are tax deducatble and don't reflect any on his personal wealth!!

Don't worry about it Baz. Doesn't matter where the money came from and even if it is tax deductable so what. Better in the purse of such deserving and hard working people who are striving to make others lives better rather than to be handed over to the government in corporation tax etc.

Maybe if the Government and other authorites helped these organisations, and also the people who are benefitting from their services, with more support and funding programmes like this would not needed.

Just one other thing as well, Just how did a millionaire manage to get out of Lonford in one piece??? :lol:

According to the other on line newspaper a few days ago he didn't... he caught fleas :oops:

Well done to everyone concerned and keep up the good work you are an inspiration to many :D

I managed to view the Channel 4 TV programme this morning.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-secret-millionaire/4od

What came across to me was the dedication of the volunteers, especially the lady who had secured a 2nd mortgage on her own house in order to carry on her charity work. There are many more people just like them throughout the Town doing great work and the Volunteer shop (I think it's on Suez Street) will put you in touch with them to see how you can help.

It was good to see the work going on at Long Lane and the fact that they were going to have better facilities. I think they have a Winter plant sale on at the moment if your passing by and aren't they linked to the Walled Garden project on the Chester Rd at Walton? Both are worth a visit. 8)

I can fix my own U bend thanks Geoff....I'm a man of many talents.....and modest....or as somebody once said, I've got a lot to be modest about. :wink::D:D:D

PS My last campaign proved to be quite successful....for once :shock: .........but best not rub it in as it just upsets the L/Ds :wink::D

Which campaign was that Paul ? :lol::lol::wink:

PS I was a bit supprised when I clicked on your link to Plimpco Plumbers though.... they seen more like TV/Radio/News celebs with all their screenings etc :shock:

Still nice of them to give some money though :D:?

It was nice. However as it came from the limited company that is Pimlico plumbers and given the fact it was paod to registered charities, it is all written off against tax so won't end up costing them very much!

It was nice. However as it came from the limited company that is Pimlico plumbers and given the fact it was paod to registered charities, it is all written off against tax so won't end up costing them very much!

So you know he didn't opt for Gift Aid and let the charities claim back the tax on top? :? Who cares what it cost him? Three charities got a HUGE windfall, on top of the fact that someone took an interest, valued what they were doing, gave them respect and boosted morale. He gave that garden centre so much more than just money...

I'm sure if you work out your tax deductible options for giving, there'll be a charity nearby for whom you're a lifeline, even though it costs you nothing. Maybe then you'll feel a bit less inclined to undermine others?

Whoa hang on a minute with your put downs.... I was not undermining anyone; if you bothered to read my first post before jumping in tongue first you will see that I said everything Charlie had done was great and a lovely gesture etc.

What I was merely pointing out was that during the programme they were constantly going on about how he was giving his own money..... well he wasn't and that is all I said.

So you know he didn't opt for Gift Aid and let the charities claim back the tax on top? :? Who cares what it cost him? Three charities got a HUGE windfall, on top of the fact that someone took an interest, valued what they were doing, gave them respect and boosted morale. He gave that garden centre so much more than just money...

I'm sure if you work out your tax deductible options for giving, there'll be a charity nearby for whom you're a lifeline, even though it costs you nothing. Maybe then you'll feel a bit less inclined to undermine others?

So how do you know I don't donate already? Maybe I do, maybe I don't. but I do know that Gift Aid relief for donations made by companies only applies to payments which are ?qualifying donations?. A qualifying donation is a payment of a sum of money which is not a distribution of profit. So there you are!!

So how do you know I don't donate already? Maybe I do, maybe I don't. but I do know that Gift Aid relief for donations made by companies only applies to payments which are ?qualifying donations?. A qualifying donation is a payment of a sum of money which is not a distribution of profit. So there you are!!

I think it was your post about having a wife and employees and needing all you could get for yourself...... or the bit about how you might have time to if not for the red tape....that sort of gave me the impression you didn't. That's your own doing!

He may also have given his own money away, but used the company chequebook to get the PR benefit on camera..... we don't know. But what do you think your remarks are achieving? Whether you mean to or not, you're devaluing what he did.

And I don't think you'd do that if you were supporting a local charity as he did. Not if you spent a couple of hours volunteering each week or saw first hand the difference it makes. If I'm wrong, then I apologise unreservedly.

BajZ... IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER ! :lol:

Like already said wether it came out of his own jeans pocket or from his company at the end of the day the 3 charities did all benefit (and so did his company by the sounds of it through all the media the PR).

As you have been on the HMRC website can you answer this.

We have a Ltd company and if this year we give ?10k to a local charity will the whole amount be deductable from our personal tax bill or the Companies Corporation Tax bill depending on how the payment is made :D:wink::P