Stage play BRIEF ENCOUNTER

Jerry

I assume it is a British group -- Kneehigh -- presenting a multi media homage to the classic film and Noel Coward. I understand the staff and players present many of his songs including "Mad About the Boy" before the curtain and during intermission. Playing now in San Francisco -- Laura's homelife is depicted using two puppets for her children (sly insinuation?) Much of the staging is in the station tea room. It's all very proper and chaste and British. I loved the film and the music. They present music here but the reviewer didn't say -- oh -- I guess it's just Noel Coward's music. For emotional impact it seems they use a film of waves crashing on rocks. Wish I could see it.

i can remember the film but can honestly say that i cannot remember having watched it. i have seen short excerpts many times and various posters that were used to advertise it.

mind you there are a few films that i have seen part off, either missing the beginning or the end

i will have to put it on my list of things to do.

The memory creases in my brain must resemble swiss cheese. I often see films for a 2nd or 3rd time and see scenes that I somehow missed in the first viewing.

Re: Brief Encounter. I have seen it fully at least twice. It's such a tiny plot. A housewife with 2 children standing on a train platform gets a cinder in her eye. A kindly doctor removes it with a hanky, and somehow they connect. They meet a few times, very, very chastely in the train's public tea room, and at the end he goes off to Africa to practice medicine, so that has to end their un-consumated passion. Yet, it's so perfect and memorable. From a short story by N.C. and directed by David Lean.

strange as it may seem, the film was on film four yesterday. again i missed it due to having to visit hospital (not for me but for my mother who is in there at the moment). so even had i managed to catch the start i would have missed the rest of it. will have to watch out for it again and record it to dvd. :roll: