Energy price hike.

observer

So when the likes of my mum get ?300.00 winter fuel allowance and the fact she is on a special pensioners tarrif and her house is often just a few degrees cooler than the roof tiles on a Majorcan apartment block; why do pensioners end up freezing to death? ?300.00 buys a lot of gas

Cos many use the money for other things - it's folly to give them cash as with many other benefits it doesn't necessary reach it's intended purpose. :roll: Free loft insulation, double glazing etc would reduce energy requirements and keep them warm; you can tell which houses havn't got enough, they don't hold the snow on the roof. :?

Not quite as much loft insulation as current regs would require or a new build, fairly modern combi boiler, double glazing but no cavity wall insulation.

I'm just a bit careful about useage, tend to heat water for showers rather than baths, don't have the heating on when we're out, use just the gas fire if it's just the front room which needs to be warm, and would put on a jumper rather than turn the thermostat up beyond about 18 degrees - which is the temperature of a warm sunny day when you think about it.

will be looking at sorting my mums boiler out before long. her gas bills have almost doubled since it was put in.

the reason is that it has a small tank inside that is heated to provide "instant" hot water without having to wait for the water to pass through the heat exchanger. because of this every hour and a half the boiler kicks in for a few seconds to keep the water in the tank hot. this means that even if the house is empty and the central heating off gas is being used. it worked out at about ?43 per bill as it is calculated at the higher rate.

this was a boiler that was fitted by warmfront to replace the boiler that was in which just heated the water as it was needed (no internal tank). as a result my mother has not had her central heating on since about February.