Call me Dave

Rifles

David Cameron indicated today that a Tory government would have to reconsider its promised referendum on the European Union's Lisbon treaty if it had been ratified by the rest of the EU by the time the Conservatives came to power.

I wondered when this would come out. Actually came out sooner than i thought.

None of the major parties are going to give us a referendum on this because they know they wouldn't get the answer they want. Call me Dave is as pro EU as the rest of them and we shouldn't expect anything to change should the Conservatives win the next election. :(:(:(

None of the major parties are going to give us a referendum on this because they know they wouldn't get the answer they want. Call me Dave is as pro EU as the rest of them and we shouldn't expect anything to change should the Conservatives win the next election. :(:(:(

When will they understand that people are turned OFF voting "because" they DON'T represent what the people want? :twisted::evil:

I guess that if the Czechs and Poles ratify the Lisbon Treaty, and therefore it comes in to being, it is too late for the UK to stop it, therefore our referendum would in effect be a vote as to whether the UK remains in the EU. I don't think the Treaty itself could be "unratified". Personally as I said in another post, I think the Conservative Party could offer a once only Referendum, in its election manifesto, on the UK's continued membership of the EU in a simple IN/OUT vote.

I'm not sure how the vote would go, or indeed the level of turnout. Whilst there is strong feeling against the EU on this Forum, I'm not sure that it is shared in the country as a whole, indeed voters might take the view better the devil that you know.

Time will tell as they say with less than 9 months to a General Election.

PS Just wondering has anybody asked the Chinese what the UK should do, they do afterall have substantial and growing influence over our country and its economy. :wink: