The Last Samurai.

observer

Watched it again tonight: Tom Cruise, in a film about the eternal conflict between the old ways being replaced by the new. :cry: With bows and arrows V rifles and cannon (only one winner). But perhaps Bushido (the way of the warrior) didn't die with the last Samurai (c 1877) - but continued until August 1945?! :?

Obs ----- you are extremely well read so I hesitate to offer an observation on Samurai -- that I read in a Business Management course. Of course they endured until Aug. 1945, but many years before the social class of samurai converted to being aggressive salesmen for Japanese products around the world. The loyalty to the boss, the do or die, the discipline...

Your right Jerry; the "way of the warrior" became the "the way of the buisinessman" - blind loyalty to "the Emperor" was converted into blind loyalty for their corporations. :wink: It's interesting that the US, fronted by Cdr Perry, literally forced Japan from an isolationist policy and internal feuding, into trade with the rest of the world. :?:wink:

That puzzled me as a school boy: why would we FORCE a hermit nation to open up and TRADE with us? It wasn't just Japan, it was Korea and of course CHINA as well.

Thinking about it now, it was the government backing up ENTREPRENEURIAL big money. Thinking of East India Company, being a government unto itself, I suppose. Fortune seekers made a lot of money from fur pelts in USA and Canada, and Columbus was seeking SPICES from the Orient. Yeah, it was the fortune seekers who made 'civilization' -- an unwanted concept to many who were traditionalists, content with their ancient cultures.