Gay Pride

trojan

Guest tonymailman
Look guys, what folk do in private is their own buisiness;

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!! it's NOTHING to do with ANYONE what an individual does with their own private life, it's usually those who lead a very dull sad existance that criticise others for what they are and do ! mainly because they have NOTHING going on in their own dull sad existance :roll:

trouble when people protest, have marches etc. they draw attention to something that the majority disapprove of.

I know gay couples of both sexes who just quietly get on with it. Pity the others don't do the same.

I do sometimes wonder if these people who protest etc. think maybe it is wrong, but want public approval.

Do what you like in private, but don't rub my face in it - or expect me to pay for it.

So do you think it'd be wrong for a gay couple to hold hands in the street then?

Who pays for Manchester Pride?

Manchester Pride has a number of sources of income that help to stage the event each year. These include the sale of tickets for the Big Weekend, sponsorship, contributions and donations and income from the outdoor bars and catering within the events site. Manchester Pride also receives grants for specific projects from bodies such as Arts Council England, AGMA, The Big Lottery and Manchester City Council.

So it would seem that all you Cheshire residents only pay for the event through grants from the Arts Council and the Lottery - and that seems fair enough doesn't it?

We in Greater Manchester put a bit more money in, but the economy benefits from all the extra visitors and increased trade over the weekend. And of course you don't have to be gay to watch and enjoy the big parade, admission free.

Quite right, and I won't rest until we have 'straight' only pubs, 'straight' quarters of the town, 'straight' only gyms, 'straight' pride festivals and a TV comedy based on the only 'straight' in the village.

If it's that important to you, don't just sit there but get on your feet and organise them! :lol:

(There's an argument to be made that certain pubs and quarters of the town are de-facto straight only anyway - or at least wouldn't be very welcoming of someone who didn't fit certain criteria...)

the fight for equality needs to continue

Quite right, and I won't rest until we have 'straight' only pubs, 'straight' quarters of the town, 'straight' only gyms, 'straight' pride festivals and a TV comedy based on the only 'straight' in the village. :shock:

I think that sums it up about right Keith :wink:

Do what you like in private, but don't rub my face in it - or expect me to pay for it.

So do you think it'd be wrong for a gay couple to hold hands in the street then?

Big difference between holding hands in the street and a weekend long, taxpayer funded, screaming queen-fest.

Manchester Pride also receives grants for specific projects from bodies such as Arts Council England, AGMA, The Big Lottery and Manchester City Council.

So I do have to pay for it then.

So it would seem that all you Cheshire residents only pay for the event through grants from the Arts Council and the Lottery - and that seems fair enough doesn't it?

No, not unless you consider painting yourself pink and showing off your intimate piercings to be "art".

We in Greater Manchester put a bit more money in

More than a bit, I think, once you tot up the costs of policing, clean up, and the loss of trade to businesses which aren't in the immediate area of the "event" and yet suffer from it as there are far fewer shoppers about.

Has anyone actually asked Greater Manchester tax payers if they're happy about putting their hands in their pockets to pay for it, since it doesn't appear able to support itself???

Other similar large events - such as Creamfields just this same weekend - happen on private land, are expected to cover their own costs, and will only continue to happen for as long as they show a profit.

You want gay equality? Find a site, apply for permission, turn a profit.

So I do have to pay for it then.

Well the Arts Council gets its grant from a combination of Central Government and lottery funds, sure. But other than that, given you're not a Greater Manchester resident, you're not paying for it.

It's a slippery slope is hypothecation: I've never been to see an opera but I don't begrudge other people enjoying it, even if it does get a grant from the Arts Council. Same goes for all those other art exhibitions that I haven't yet been to see.

You want gay equality? Find a site, apply for permission, turn a profit.

So you're of the opinion that everything everywhere should be cancelled unless it can fully cover its costs? Shame we'll see the end of Walking Days, May Queens, regular sporting events, victory homecoming celebrations (those road closures, policing and the cost of the clean-up operation, eh?) but never mind - it's not as if they're making a profit.

How much profit does Manchester Pride make?

As Manchester Pride is a Registered Charity, WE DO NOT MAKE ANY PROFIT FROM ANY ACTIVITY. Any funds that are surplus to the operating costs at the end of the year are distributed to Charities and Organisations.

Jimmy,

The likes of walking days in Warrington are increasingly under pressure from the police to be changed; either on date or on routes etc. and there was talk of cancellations due to increased policing costs

As for any profit being given away to charity etc.... why not give it back to the taxpayer by way of a refund to the arts council; that way other organisations can benefit?