Just what are they fighting for?

observer

According to the BBC, corruption in the Afghanistan Elections is rife, with tribal influence via their leaders may have a profound impact. :shock: The last Parliament they elected is pursuing a Bill to allow men to rape or starve wives who don't consent to sex. :shock: PM Karsie refuses to allow his wife (the first Lady) to appear with him in public. :roll: At least the Taliban are honest about their medieval values. :roll:

A good question being asked by an increasing number of people, whom I'm not sure are convinced by the answer, of keeping terrorists off UK's streets.

I often wonder if Afghanistan might not just be a side show, and that the real reason for keeping troops in the area is Pakistan, a nuclear power and a country that is becoming increasingly more unstable.

I sense that the Secretary of State for Defence, Bob Ainsworth is somewhat out of his depth in his new role...guess nobody wanted the job and hence his appointment....he's probably counting the days off until the election...then he can be demob happy. :wink::D

Good point about Pakistan Paul; now they really do have WMDs, and I suspect the US now have everyone of their launch sites targeted with ICBMs -just in case! :shock: As for keeping terrorism "off" our streets - we don't need to import them, they're already here, just waiting for someone to load the bullet. :shock:

A good question being asked by an increasing number of people, whom I'm not sure are convinced by the answer, of keeping terrorists off UK's streets.

I often wonder if Afghanistan might not just be a side show, and that the real reason for keeping troops in the area is Pakistan, a nuclear power and a country that is becoming increasingly more unstable.

I sense that the Secretary of State for Defence, Bob Ainsworth is somewhat out of his depth in his new role...guess nobody wanted the job and hence his appointment....he's probably counting the days off until the election...then he can be demob happy. :wink::D

Paul...what I can not understand is why the USA is hell bent on making the east into a clone of the west, can't they just respect there ways, the eastern civilisation was in existance well before ours, they must be doing something right or is it down to oil once again?

Paul...what I can not understand is why the USA is hell bent on making the east into a clone of the west, can't they just respect there ways, the eastern civilisation was in existance well before ours, they must be doing something right or is it down to oil once again?

So the USA is the only country over there??

What we are witnessing, are the early stages (some may say continuation) of future "resource" wars - Haliburton got into Iraq good style, but the Yanks havn't done too well in Lybia - so no wonder they're miffed with Gadaffi. :shock: Despite all the tripe by Western Governments about Global Warming, Carbon Footprints etc; they are in a race to secure as much gas and oil for their own economies as possible - and things like justice or young soldiers lives just don't register on the political radar - after all, we don't want to be queuing at the petrol pumps and paying inflated prices to fill up - do we?! :cry:

Reminds me of a song by Country Joe and the Fish

And it's one, two, three,

What are we fighting for ?

Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,

Next stop is Vietnam;

And it's five, six, seven,

Open up the pearly gates,

Well there ain't no time to wonder why,

Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

Come on Wall Street, don't be slow,

Why man, this is war au-go-go

There's plenty good money to be made

By supplying the Army with the tools of its trade,

But just hope and pray that if they drop the bomb,

They drop it on the Viet Cong.

Next stop is Vietnam.

Well there ain't no time to wonder why

Well, come on generals, let's move fast;

Your big chance has come at last.

Now you can go out and get those reds

'Cause the only good commie is the one that's dead

And you know that peace can only be won

When we've blown 'em all to kingdom come.

Next stop is Vietnam;

Well there ain't no time to wonder why

Come on mothers throughout the land,

Pack your boys off to Vietnam.

Come on fathers, and don't hesitate

To send your sons off before it's too late.

And you can be the first ones in your block

To have your boy come home in a box.

And it's one, two, three

Next stop is Vietnam.

Well there ain't no time to wonder why,

:roll::(

Obs will you please PLEASE start spelling LIBYA correctly. Lybia is starting to give me a headache :cry::cry::cry:

.......... mind you Asp, thank god he only got the letters the wrong way round and didn't actually replace one letter with another.... the mods would have been frothing at the mouth then!! :lol: