Selling the family silver?

Aview

The "off loading" of direct Council involvement in community services; begs the question: Do we need 50 odd Councillors to argue over tenders - a Town Manager would do?! :wink:

bet you wouldn't get them to vote for that one Obs.... would you have????

The "off loading" of direct Council involvement in community services; begs the question: Do we need 50 odd Councillors to argue over tenders - a Town Manager would do?! :wink:

I'm all for Wards having just a single Councillor :wink::D:D:D

57 to 22 at a stroke

Alas, as I understand it, it's a decision for the Electoral Commission

As your probably aware Paul; it's done on a per capita basis - so you would need enlarged wards - much better, to improve the responsive systems of the organisation to public complaints, thus making Councillors redundant! :wink: If this were done throughout the Country, including halving the number of MPs, reducing the Lords to 100; we could reduce the vast numbers of the political class in this Country (far higher per capita than most other Countries) and make some financial savings. :shock:

As your probably aware Paul; it's done on a per capita basis - so you would need enlarged wards - much better, to improve the responsive systems of the organisation to public complaints, thus making Councillors redundant! :wink: If this were done throughout the Country, including halving the number of MPs, reducing the Lords to 100; we could reduce the vast numbers of the political class in this Country (far higher per capita than most other Countries) and make some financial savings. :shock:

Isn't this what is being done via Regionalisation?

One of the problems with enlarging the wards is that 'local' councillors will not be particularly local.

Also the interests of all particular areas of the ward may not be fairly balanced.

Isn't this what is being done via Regionalisation?

One of the problems with enlarging the wards is that 'local' councillors will not be particularly local.

Also the interests of all particular areas of the ward may not be fairly balanced.

Our two aren't local anyway. :evil::twisted:

So that would argue for the devolution of power down to Community and Parish Councils - assuming folk had any interest. :?

Most parish councils have a party political agenda, as do it seems the new 'community councils'.

There is no real community voice and people are in general apathetic, probably because whatever the community feel or want the politicians will do what THEY want anyway.

So does it really matter how many councillors there are to ignore public opinion the outcome would always be the same,

and most councillors just 'follow the leader' anyway.

as a start; parish councils should not have ANY party political agenda. There should be no Labour, Tory or the other lot involved and it should be purely a community, independant thing.

My local parish council is all about party first and area second because most of the party backed parish councillors have their own political ambitions and agendas to follow to "further" their own ends and that of their parties and I'm sure that is the case in most if not all parish councils

I would be suprised to hear to the contrary!

Your right of course Baz; but it drew out the futility, for Sha's benefit, of the current system in actually delivering for ordinary folk. :wink:

:?::?::?:

Iv'e long since seen the futility of it all Obs, not only in the current system but also in the planned future system, the so called 'community' councils which are supposed to be the 'voice of the people' but are merely political mouthpieces.

The problem is that all political parties within the system have the same agenda...their own.

Your right of course Baz; but it drew out the futility, for Sha's benefit, of the current system in actually delivering for ordinary folk. :wink:

:?::?::?:

Iv'e long since seen the futility of it all Obs, not only in the current system but also in the planned future system, the so called 'community' councils which are supposed to be the 'voice of the people' but are merely political mouthpieces.

The problem is that all political parties within the system have the same agenda...their own.

And your solution is :?:

as a start; parish councils should not have ANY party political agenda. There should be no Labour, Tory or the other lot involved and it should be purely a community, independant thing.

My local parish council is all about party first and area second because most of the party backed parish councillors have their own political ambitions and agendas to follow to "further" their own ends and that of their parties and I'm sure that is the case in most if not all parish councils

I would be suprised to hear to the contrary!

Always wanting to surprise you Baz, the Parish Councillors for Hatton, Stretton & Walton are all independents with no known political agendas or ambitions.....and they actually do do things for their local communities. In these three parishes we've not had parish council elections for years, and indeed it can be difficult to find people willing to be Parish Councillors if there is a vacancy.

What I do urge residents to do, is to go along to their Parish Council meetings and ask questions, they are afterall public meetings. Indeed in the case of Hatton, I pushed for its venue to be moved from a PS's home to a public place.......The Hatton Arms. :wink: All other Parish meetings in the Borough do take place in a public building as far as I'm aware. It is true that many Borough Councillors are also Parish Councillors (although I'm not and never have been) and hence the possible political agenda.