More traffic lights?

AdrianR

My worry is the way the pedestrian always gets disadvantaged. e.g. footbridges and underpasses, even pelican crossings, always involve the pedestrian having to walk further than necessary. :(:(
What a joke. For the sake of four complaints, our council spent a million pounds on the Westbrook/Asda traffic lights so that pedestrians who were incapable of crossing during gaps in the traffic, or walking down to the existing pedestrian walkover, could cross as close as possible to their route.

And it still has worst congestion than before.

Back to the current lights beign changed near iceland. Based on the rumble pavements beinginstalled, the junction will be massively enlarged. Why? I smell one route at a time being on green whilst the others wait

Noticed a load of new traffic lights going up on the island just past the Cockhedge Centre today (the one where you turn left to go up towards the new multy storey car park or next left up Winwick Road in the direction of Tesco).

WHY....???? THE LIGHT WILL SURELY CAUSE HAVOC as the road before them is not long enough between the new lights and the previous island to to be capable of holding the traffic when the lights are on red :evil: !?!?!?!??!

As an aside, I heard that the M1 M/Way is now carrying eight times the traffic that it was originally designed for - sort of illustrates the situation generally? :?

What, that since an arterial motorway can apparently be upgraded to carry 8 times its original design load, then a major programme of new motorway building would offer the most flexible and future proof way of upgrading our national transport infrastructure? :wink:

Until someone sorts out public transport and makes it user friendly and affordable car use is going to be the transport of choice. Just look at Warrington buses. After 6pm and at weekends if you want to go anywhere it has to be your own car or a taxi. The railways are too expensive to use on a regular basis. :roll::roll:

Before the traffic lights were erected at the junction of Calver Road and Cromwell Avenue it was hellish trying to turn right to head up to Westbrook, then the lights were put in place at a cost of how much I don't know. It was then that right turns were forbidden which was the whole purpose of the lights being installed in the first place. You now have to turn left and do a 360 at the island adjacent to the Fordton Leisure Centre.

Monty Python's finest.

Before the traffic lights were erected at the junction of Calver Road and Cromwell Avenue it was hellish trying to turn right to head up to Westbrook, then the lights were put in place at a cost of how much I don't know. It was then that right turns were forbidden which was the whole purpose of the lights being installed in the first place. You now have to turn left and do a 360 at the island adjacent to the Fordton Leisure Centre.

Monty Python's finest.

It is a joke, if all they wanted to end up with was no right turn, there was no need for the lights to be installed as well, and there's no doubt traffic would be running more smoothly than the stop start now in place there.

• 8 months later...
Noticed a load of new traffic lights going up on the island just past the Cockhedge Centre today (the one where you turn left to go up towards the new multy storey car park or next left up Winwick Road in the direction of Tesco).

WHY....???? THE LIGHT WILL SURELY CAUSE HAVOC as the road before them is not long enough between the new lights and the previous island to to be capable of holding the traffic when the lights are on red :evil: !?!?!?!??!

Yesterday was the first time I'd gone through town and seen thes elights working. Surprise surprise, traffic queued and having to stop on the junction.

Well done WBC's traffic department, another rampant success! :roll: